Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Monopolising Parking Spaces

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The guy across the road of us has a big-ass caravan right in front of his house, he also has a taxi, 2 landrovers, an estate car, his daughter's car and any other cars that he happens to be working on at any one time in the street. The caravan never moves and a lot of the time his visitors double park and the street's crowded as it is. On match days even more cars are parked in the street and his double parking causes havoc on traffic flow.

Is there anything we can do about it? A couple of people have commented on it but haven't done anything about it.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah speak to the council dude
  • Options
    :yes:
  • Options
    I may well do that as i will be driving soon (hopefully) and I'll find it damn difficult to park!

And, when I say match days, I mean when partick Thistle play at Firhill Park and the supporters use my street as a parking space, Just incase you thought that was his fault too :p
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I may well do that as i will be driving soon (hopefully) and I'll find it damn difficult to park!

And, when I say match days, I mean when partick Thistle play at Firhill Park and the supporters use my street as a parking space, Just incase you thought that was his fault too :p
    Don't the Jags supporters all travel in the same car?
  • Options
    Can't you build a drive (whatever they're called) so that you have somewhere to park? We had a similar problem and had to do this.
  • Options
    as far as im aware there are no laws as to how many vehicles that one person can keep, and if its just street parking its first come first served in my opinion. the caravan may be a different issue tho, im not sure if you can leave them on the road.

like has been suggested i'd speak to the council, but i wouldnt hold your breath.
  • Options
    Our streets like this, but it's because of the people using the offices at the bottom of the road use our street to park because they're too LAZY to use their FREE car park, because it means going down the alley at the end of the road, and driving 20 metres past the building. It's madness. We can't ewven complain to the council really, as they ARE a council building, and you know nothing will be done anyway! I don't think it's too bad today though, I can only see my car from here. (But, due to the fact my car is bright yellow, it's noticeable from everywhere)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Can't you build a drive (whatever they're called) so that you have somewhere to park? We had a similar problem and had to do this.
    I live in a flat so a drive is out of the question :razz: Though once I told my friend that we were building a conservatory and she believed me (I live 2 floors up and she's been in my house before) madness!
  • Options
    Sounds like our road.
    It's a new build and every house has allocated parking. But the lazy fuckers won't park round the back of thier houses where the parking is, they park on the road on both sides which is NO WAY near big enough for that.
    If an ambulance or fire engine was needed down here there is no way of them getting through without hitting every single car on the way and even then it would be hard.:mad:
    I hate really lazy people.
  • Options
    Now that is illegal, obstructing emergency services access is not ok.
  • Options
    www.direct.gov.uk/mycouncil

to find details on how to contact your council about it
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Now that is illegal, obstructing emergency services access is not ok.

:yes: It really really annoys me. They all have at least 2 parking spaces per house (unlike our one) and most have garages. They are just too fucking lazy.
    I hope that one day a fire engine will come down here and knock them all out the way.
  • Options
    Well, the fire services won't do that. What you, however, can do is ring the council and report it.
  • Options
    fire service will bounce cars out the way if they cant fit through and find anyone to move it, my brother drives a fire engine, says its ace fun.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, the fire services won't do that. What you, however, can do is ring the council and report it.

They will if they have to
  • Options
    Yeh, its true. If you are blocking the road fire engine will ram you and then charge you for any damage to the fire engine
  • Options
    They seem to enjoy it based on the Emergency services crews I know. Be warned though, if your car gets damaged by them then the insurance doesn't pay as it shouldn't have been there.

You could try leaving notes under ther windscreen wipers to point that out.
  • Options
    i thought it was illegal to have a caravan outside your house all the time?
    im sure we're not allowed round here...
  • Options
    They seem to enjoy it based on the Emergency services crews I know. Be warned though, if your car gets damaged by them then the insurance doesn't pay as it shouldn't have been there.

You could try leaving notes under ther windscreen wipers to point that out.
    I didn't know that they could do that. Though I guess it makes sense, how exciting
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    i thought it was illegal to have a caravan outside your house all the time?
    im sure we're not allowed round here...

Whats a caravan, there? Is this a caravan? cuz wow. To pay to park that? Doesn't every family own one?

Tbh, my brother was in the same situation. He lived in a house with a few other american football players and shared a driveway with their neighbor, who took up every available spot. They did everything from confront them to write notes and stick it under the windsheild to write notes and hawk a loogie on the back of it to make it stick to their windshield to egg them when they're drunk and they, for the 2 years didn't do anything. 2 years of them taking up all the parking and 2 years of 6 men trying to get them to move, they didn't.

So, in my opinion, they'll either move or they won't. Some people just don't give a shit where other people park.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Whats a caravan, there? Is this a caravan? cuz wow. To pay to park that? Doesn't every family own one?

Tbh, my brother was in the same situation. He lived in a house with a few other american football players and shared a driveway with their neighbor, who took up every available spot. They did everything from confront them to write notes and stick it under the windsheild to write notes and hawk a loogie on the back of it to make it stick to their windshield to egg them when they're drunk and they, for the 2 years didn't do anything. 2 years of them taking up all the parking and 2 years of 6 men trying to get them to move, they didn't.

So, in my opinion, they'll either move or they won't. Some people just don't give a shit where other people park.

No its this, http://www.premiercaravanservicing.co.uk/assets/valeting.jpg

fucking horrific mobile home on wheels.
  • Options
    In a village near me all the cars are parked on one side of the road so you have to go on the other side. That's ok - but it continues right up to a relatively busy roundabout, which has a blind corner coming onto the street (from a 40), so if you were passing the cars and a car came quickly you'd be dead.

Also, recently in another village as it was so bad they've split the road into 3 lanes - one for parking, and one for traffic each ways. These are really narrow lanes though, just wider than a carwidth. But cars still park on the other side :mad:

Just a rant really.
  • Options
    Yep, Manda, JsT's is right. he has about 3 other cars that size though plus a taxi cab and any cars he's working on at the time (he's a mechanic) he also works all through the night on the cars too which gets really annoying.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Our streets like this, but it's because of the people using the offices at the bottom of the road use our street to park because they're too LAZY to use their FREE car park, because it means going down the alley at the end of the road, and driving 20 metres past the building. It's madness. We can't ewven complain to the council really, as they ARE a council building, and you know nothing will be done anyway! I don't think it's too bad today though, I can only see my car from here. (But, due to the fact my car is bright yellow, it's noticeable from everywhere)

If they're a council building you'll get more luck going to your local paper and telling them about the 'scandal'.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Yep, Manda, JsT's is right. he has about 3 other cars that size though plus a taxi cab and any cars he's working on at the time (he's a mechanic) he also works all through the night on the cars too which gets really annoying.

Doesn't he have a garage to store the cars he's working on?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Good point. I wouldn't go to a mechanic who just parked and fixed my car in the street.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Tbh I think he's on benefits and does that on the sly. He doesn't work on loads they come in dribs and drabs. Still enough to make a nusiance.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Tbh I think he's on benefits and does that on the sly.

Well there's your angle of attack then!
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    he also works all through the night on the cars too which gets really annoying.

Then you also want to get the bastard on noise laws :yes:

thelovelysite tells you all about it

My parents used to have a big problem with people parking all over their road whenever there's an event on at the park down the road(all the sodding time). They have a drive, but quite often thoughtless people just park in front ot it. So my dad nicked a few of those yellow police no parking cones, hides them in the garage, and any time it looks there there's a load of traffic brewing, out go the cones. They've not had a problem since.

However, although it works, I do feel I should point out that this is stealing, and is probably less legal than what your man is doing.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    Then you also want to get the bastard on noise laws :yes:

thelovelysite tells you all about it

My parents used to have a big problem with people parking all over their road whenever there's an event on at the park down the road(all the sodding time). They have a drive, but quite often thoughtless people just park in front ot it. So my dad nicked a few of those yellow police no parking cones, hides them in the garage, and any time it looks there there's a load of traffic brewing, out go the cones. They've not had a problem since.

However, although it works, I do feel I should point out that this is stealing, and is probably less legal than what your man is doing.

I tried this very tactic outside my house once with orange road cones - the childish arseholes just moved them.