Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Swimming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone learnt to swim at a later age? I'm 22 and hated swimming when I used to go swimming with my first school (aged 4-9) so I didn't learn so I'd like to learn now.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I learnt on the last day of swimming lessons in Year 5. (I was 10)
  • Options
    I'll teach ya. :thumb: In fact, any other ladies who want to turn up in swimsuits to have me assist you with your boyancy are all welcome.

But seriously, I learnt to swim relatively young, but I think it's one of those things you can pick up in later life if you try. If you dont feel like just jumping in the pool there are adult swim classes that might help.

Hope it goes well :thumb:
  • Options
    I learned to swim when I was young, but after the thin swim teacher with the perky moobs I quit. Apperantly I have bad form so any type of swimming I do looks like I'm trying not to droun, flailing arms head popping up spitting out watter and gagging included. Though I do a mean doggy paddle.

I wouldn't mind learning again, but I don't see the point of it. I can float and I don't droun and really the only swimming I do is in a jacuzzi.
  • Options
    The pool I work at has adult lessons on a Wednesday night, all evening so there are plenty of people out there who learn as adults.

If your keen its worth asking at your nearest pool. It may also be worth asking about private lessons. For a half hour lesson they're not very expensive and you'll learn a lot faster without feeling pressured by the rest of the group.
  • Options
    I can't swim :(

I had private lessons as a child and also had lessons with the school and I STILL can't swim.

I doubt even adult lessons would do the trick.

They might be for you though :)
  • Options
    my brother learnt when he was about 12, which i suppose isnt old......but was old considering i was 11 at the time and had been swimming for years....yeah go for it

good luck
  • Options
    Lea, I don't know if this is any help, but worth a look :) I'd definitely recommend learning to swim, it's fun and also helpful if you fall in stuff that's wet.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Anyone learnt to swim at a later age? I'm 22 and hated swimming when I used to go swimming with my first school (aged 4-9) so I didn't learn so I'd like to learn now.

i'm 21 and i can't swim. :grump:

i attended the usual lessons at primary school but they used to just focus on improving the people that could already swim. i then had lessons when i was around 12 and managed a 10 metre doggy paddle certificate!

my dad is 50 and only learnt to swim around a year and a half ago.

i plan on having lessons again one day before i have children.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    lea_uk wrote:

I say go for it - my nan is 74 and she decided she wanted to learn to swim last year - she says it's one of the best things she's ever done.

Generally people learn pretty quickly at an older age, but it's just building up confidence and stamina that can take a while. The good thing is that you can use floats to build up strength in your arms and legs making it a great form of exercise.

Good luck :)