Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Contracpetive Implant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, quick question- how can they guarantee that it will last three years? Surely every woman is different?

Yes I am paranoid:blush:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your-babe wrote:
    Ok, quick question- how can they guarantee that it will last three years? Surely every woman is different?

Yes I am paranoid:blush:

No idea, they say it stops your periods too but I'm getting them back so wondering if its working still.
    Zella wrote:
    No idea, they say it stops your periods too but I'm getting them back so wondering if its working still.
    Oh. I still have mine, but appartnately yr cycle can muck up a bit. Just really don't want the chance of pregnancy right now tbh, and getting a tad paranoid about it.
    No idea. But I've had a continuous period since I had mine in (seven weeks ago) and it's beginning to hack me off.
    im guessing (so don't take this as law) that the implant contains a certain amount of hormone and it releases a certain amount each day, thus they divide the amount of hormone contained by the amount released which equals 3 years worth.

I was told no-one has ever got pregnant whilst having the implant when i had mine put in about 4 years ago. I didn't get on with it though.
    Yeah It must do it or they wouldnt be allowed to say that

Ive had mine in 18 months now, havent had a period in 17...Thats good enough for me :yes:
    Every time I read about the implant I find myself thinking 'so why the hell aren't I on it?'

Is it oestrogen and progesteron (sp?) or progesteron only, does anyone know? What are the side effects? I'm sure I've mentioned it at the doctors so there must be a reason I'm not on it but I really cannot think what it is :|
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Every time I read about the implant I find myself thinking 'so why the hell aren't I on it?'

Is it oestrogen and progesteron (sp?) or progesteron only, does anyone know? What are the side effects? I'm sure I've mentioned it at the doctors so there must be a reason I'm not on it but I really cannot think what it is :|
    Laura, it made my friends fat :|
    Laura, it made my friends fat :|

Depends on the person. The Combined Pill made me fat. A month after having the the implant in, I've lost 20 odd pounds. :)

The Implant is progestrone (sp?) only. The side effects are similar to any other form of contraceptive.
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Yeah It must do it or they wouldnt be allowed to say that

Ive had mine in 18 months now, havent had a period in 17...Thats good enough for me :yes:

Why am I getting a constant one then? :grump: *sigh* I really just can't be arsed to go the doctors, it's been a constant battle with them over this, for me to go back and point out a fault would make their day.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Why am I getting a constant one then? :grump: *sigh* I really just can't be arsed to go the doctors, it's been a constant battle with them over this, for me to go back and point out a fault would make their day.

It was like that when I had it so I had it taken out after 6 months, they put me on the pill along with the implant. You need to go back.
    They did this as an alternative to the pill though. Grr. I can't GET to my doctors, there's the problem :grump:
    Ok, thanku for putting my mind at rest :)

Have had one period so far, which seems pretty much the same as my periods before I was on the implant, only the cramps are a lot less severe, thankfully!
    As TheSite's factsheet on implants states:

"It releases progestogen into the bloodstream at a slow and steady rate, which provides almost 100% protection against pregnancy for up to three years."

The 'up to' bit here is probably key - I'd have thought that you'd need to go back to the contraception provider (doctor/clinic etc) - at regular-ish intervals so they can review how it's going.

If you need more advice, why not askTheSite a question here or contact the fpa's helpline (0845 310 1334), which is manned by trained nurses. They should be able to tell you more.