Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Deductions from wage, that I cant afford

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi folks. I've been lurking around these forums a good while, but only now registered because I have my own wee problem, and i hoped there might be some good advice around.

The story is, I'm working as a door steward (bouncer, if you must!), and there are new regulations coming into force over licensing. Essentially, come september, you won't be able to do the job unless you have this new license (called SIA). Thing is, it costs 300£ to do the extra training, and my employers (an agency, that have several door stewards at several venues in the city) have started taking £50 off my wages each week to pay for it.

Firstly, it is not my intention to continue working as a Door Steward after september.
Secondly, I have not specifically agreed to this deduction
Thirdly, I'm currently not getting many hours at all. In fact I'm almost in poverty on 6 hours a week - £40, and trust me, I'm begging my boss every week to get more hours, but he never comes up with them. Thankfully, my rent has been paid in advance so I have until July 9th to pay again. If they take £50 out each week, I'm going to be essentially working, only to pay off a debt to the agency, getting no money for myself.

Apart from getting a new job (which I am desperately trying to do), can anyone advise on what I should be doing? I havn't spoken to my boss about it yet, Id prefer some good solid advice on the law behind me before I do that.
Can I take them to a small claims court if they refuse to return the £50 already taken off my wages? Do i have a right to keep my job until the new licensing laws come in, without getting the additional training that I cant afford?

Thanks for reading this far, again, I would really really appreciate anyones advice, or even their opinions on this.

-Rob

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    an employer has to pay you the wages agreed by contract.

he has no right to deduct any amount which has not been agreed by you. i have a feeling it also needs to be written consent. therefore, it's a fundamnetal breach of contract. ask for it back. if he doesn't agree then take him to an employment tribunal.
    all doorman are supposed to be sia licenced currently anyway
    You should be covered by the Employment Rights Act 1996. It covers "the right of an employee not to suffer unauthorised deductions"

You need to check any contract given to you by the temp agency and try and remember if you made any verbal agreements.

:)
    MrG wrote:
    all doorman are supposed to be sia licenced currently anyway

Not in Scotland. Anyways, thanks for help folks. I spoke to my boss, and thankfully he wasn't an arse about it. I'm getting the money repaid in my next paycheck, and won't be paying for the license. Cheers again folks:yippe:
    You are getting £40 for 6 hours as a doorman? you are getting conned pal.

our doormen used to get paid waaaaaay more than that
    koe_182 wrote:
    You are getting £40 for 6 hours as a doorman? you are getting conned pal.

our doormen used to get paid waaaaaay more than that

£10 an hour is an alright rate