Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Court question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last year I was up in court for nonpayment of a TV licence or whatever the charge is called. Because I changed addresses I didn't get the court date or the result and was convicted in my absense. Seeing as I was guilty I thought there was no point in appealing on the grounds that I didn't get the summons. Anyway, I later found out there was a distress warrant from the court as I hadn't paid the fine (obviously as I didn't recieve any paperwork) so I contacted the court and told them the situation, they arranged a new hearing for me in which I agreed to pay the fine at a rate of £20 a week. The magistrate said that if I failed to keep that agreement then he was pretty sure I'd go inside.

The problem is I forgot to pay last week's £20.

Now I'll be at the court first thing monday morning to pay it and later in the week I'll go along to pay that week's installment too.

My question is does anyone know if this means I'm likely to go down for this? I know I've broken the agreement but only by one working day?

Comments

• Options
    if a judge is willing to send someone down for not keeping up payments on a tv licence fee but let rapists and murderers go free then the uk is a pretty fucked up place to live. I wouldnt worry.
  • Options
    you won't be doing porridge ...just get your payments up to date and keep them up to date.
    it is absurd though ...that people are thrown in jail for not having a tv permit.
  • Options
    Cheers guys but it's not about not having a tv licence, it's non-payment of a fine. I've missed one installment and the magistrate seemed to imply that I'd be going down if I mess the payments up.
  • Options
    aslong as you paid it and continue to keep it on time you'll be fine, seriously, people get off with worse than that.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    aslong as you paid it and continue to keep it on time you'll be fine, seriously, people get off with worse than that.

But are you sure they'll let me get away with one payment being late?
  • Options
    I cannot be 100% but I would say yes, i am 99% sure, seriously, dont worry, you paid the fine just a little late. therefore there is nothing they can do tbh, they're not gonna mess about with another court date and the costs for one late payment which you paid. its not cost effective for them
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    I cannot be 100% but I would say yes, i am 99% sure, seriously, dont worry, you paid the fine just a little late. therefore there is nothing they can do tbh, they're not gonna mess about with another court date and the costs for one late payment which you paid. its not cost effective for them

Cheers for that - I'll go in and see them first thing in the morning and see what they say.
  • Options
    Well that was fairly painless - I was there at 9am and as soon as the doors open I went in and paid last week's instalment. Nothing was said, they took my money and gave a receipt and I even asked for a paying-in book.

Let's hope the worry was for nothing!
  • Options
    Well that was fairly painless - I was there at 9am and as soon as the doors open I went in and paid last week's instalment. Nothing was said, they took my money and gave a receipt and I even asked for a paying-in book.

Let's hope the worry was for nothing!
    Glad to hear you got things sorted.If you are like me,you may let problems magnify in your head till they seem huge,despite reassurance from others.You took positive action and resolved the matter.Well done.
  • Options
    Don't fret, magistrates like to think that they're important and intelligent people.

He'll just be trying to scare you. Seems like it worked.

Yet another reason why I think the cuntastic BBC should be shut down mind.
  • Options
    I had an outstanding fine for 2 years, and every 6 months they would send me a final warning saying there would be a warrant if I did not pay the fine, I eventually paid but don't worry too much about it.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for your words of advice - whatever happens, they succeeded in what they set out to do, which was make me pay the fine.

Regardless of how you view magistrates, or the tv licence etc I have a responsibility to pay a debt and they are encouraging me to pay promptly.