Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Crystal Meth reclassification

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
I thought you might be interested to read that Crystal Meth is being reclassified to become a Class A. Click here for the announcement. At least this is more consistent than its current 'B' classification. Although I was surprised to hear why it took them so long - the BBC news last night reported that there was a fear that if it was made Class A, more people would be aware of it and be tempted to try it.... Hang on, weren't mushrooms classified Class A for the exact opposite reason?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yet another tragic decision, just wait a few days and we'll get lurid headlines which will be the best advertising for the drug a dealer could want for.

The BBC coverage was unintentionally funny though;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5079266.stm

"Metropolitan Police Commander Simon Bray, who leads Acpo's work on the drug, said: "The serious and well documented dangers associated with production and use of this drug in all its forms will now be substantially easier to combat as a result of this reclassification."

Now either he knows this is rubbish and says it anyway, or he believes it and we really are doomed.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    What I found amusing/depressing was the BBC reporter saying that Meth could be easily manufactured at home using household products, which is A) Not true and B) does more to encourage usage than reclassifying it to class A!!
    LadyJade wrote:
    What I found amusing/depressing was the BBC reporter saying that Meth could be easily manufactured at home using household products, which is A) Not true and B) does more to encourage usage than reclassifying it to class A!!

That comment keeps coming up, it started from a fairly rubbish drugs information page somewhere, then Frank ripped it off almost word for word, then lazy reporters have been using it.
    About time it was made class A. Fuck ever taking this drug...just look at what it does to people, it's fucking stupid. It makes you wonder why drugs like this and crack are in the same class as cocaine and mushrooms?
    well i couldnt comment on that one because ive never done crack and mushrooms.

its scary as fuck watching that bbc video, with the bloke driving!

Isnt this suppose to give you the same sort of buz as speed or pils though?
    Well I assume it's a simmilar buzz to speed except much fucking stronger, as it's a smokeable form of speed....as crack is to coke.
    never done it, but this has to be said:

crystal meffin.
    XTC wrote:
    About time it was made class A. Fuck ever taking this drug...just look at what it does to people, it's fucking stupid. It makes you wonder why drugs like this and crack are in the same class as cocaine and mushrooms?

And making a drug Class A has in the past stopped its use? When did that happen I must have missed it.

(and yes there was the case of mushrooms, but given they went from pretty much legal to Class A they are the exception which proves the rule)

Cocaine (if you believe in the whole legal structure) definitely deserves its Class A status compared to other drugs, its dangerous and addictive.
    True, making something illegal or class whatever doesn't stop people from doing it, but at least it shows that the government are finally getting their facts riught about the danger of different drugs? Before the reclassification, Ecstasy, Shrooms and Coke were more dangerous than Cryatal Meth in the eyes of the law (true Cocaine does deserve to be class A, but still compared to Crystal Meth it is fairly mild)
    XTC wrote:
    True, making something illegal or class whatever doesn't stop people from doing it, but at least it shows that the government are finally getting their facts riught about the danger of different drugs? Before the reclassification, Ecstasy, Shrooms and Coke were more dangerous than Cryatal Meth in the eyes of the law (true Cocaine does deserve to be class A, but still compared to Crystal Meth it is fairly mild)

No, it just shows they are persisting with a policy which hasnt worked, wont work and only makes things worse.

Yes, I fully accept that if the classifications are going to be even vaugely respected then there needs to be proper risk assessment in terms of the drugs. But this is a not going to help, its just going to give meth more coverage and make it more likely that we'll get a meth problem.

And dont believe the hype, methamphetamine is a dangerous drug, but the media coverage makes it out to be the devil incarnate. Its not. Yes its addictive, and yes it has caused problems in other countries but that is largely to do with its usage paterns rather than the drug itself. Methamphetamine itself isnt (if used with proper regard to harm reduction) inherantly more dangerous than MDMA really.
    Lawton wrote:
    never done it, but this has to be said:

crystal meffin.

I'll break your fucking face and nick your resin then I'll kick your head in?

;)
    I'm unfamiliar with your system but class A had better be the "most illegal" class.
    I'm unfamiliar with your system but class A had better be the "most illegal" class.
    It is.

Yes, though its not as simple as that really, there are classes and schedules.

The drugs are classed according to abuse potential, harm etc. (well thats the theory)

The drugs are scheduled by whether they have any medical use.