Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Right this is gonna be rather complicated...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Right, here goes.

I've just got a full time job in a pub/carvery place. I started there last week. Done lots and lots of hours since but I've not yet been paid. Not quite sure when I'm getting paid to be honest, I think its next Friday.

I've also got a part time job in the student union, did my last shift (as its closing for the summer and reopening in september) last week so I will get paid for that tomorrow.

I also do temping for an agency for when I'm short of cash. I am also getting paid for this tomorrow. I am also doing a shift for them tomorrow night after I finish work :lol: (Yes, I'm skint)

Now, forget I've got a part time job as I'm not going to be working there until September.

I work full time at this pub/carvery place but sometimes do temping for this company when I'm not put on the rota for Friday/Saturday nights at my new job. Its only part time money. It works out to be £40 per week as you are paid for the Friday night shift the following Friday and the Saturday night shift the friday after that. I don't usually do both but if I do, it works out to be £80 per week.

My full time job will hopefully bring in about £200 per week depending on the hours I get. I've definately earnt more than that this week though.

Noooowwww, the tricky bit, lol. How do I sort out all my tax codes? I don't want to get taxed a stupid amount because I have all these jobs. Will I have to inform the tax office that I no longer work at the student union?

Also, as I have not yet been paid by my new employer at my full time job, I have not got the tax code so cannot send off my tax codes so they will split the tax codes over the two jobs. Will I be able to claim back any tax that they tax me if its too much quite soon afterwards?

As for my part time work, its only temping work so its not guaranteed I will be working there often. Will I even need to send off a tax form with the tax codes of the temping company on? It might become a regular thing but I'm not sure.

Another thing, I am a student. In this tax year, I have barely worked part time. I got a part time job in May just before I finished for the holidays. Before April this year though, I did work part time in various places.

Now, last summer, despite the fact I had been working part time all year, I didn't get taxed, I think its because I stopped working part time in the new tax year. I filled in a P38 which exempts me from paying tax. Can I fill this in this year? Also, who sends it off? The employer or me? Where am I supposed to send it once both the employee and employer section has been filled in. I can't find anything on their website.

Sorry if this is long, complicated and doesn't make sense.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Right, here goes.

Noooowwww, the tricky bit, lol. How do I sort out all my tax codes? I don't want to get taxed a stupid amount because I have all these jobs. Will I have to inform the tax office that I no longer work at the student union?

Your job at the pub cavery place is your full time job, so give them your P45 from the job u just left, or fill out a P46 ticking statement B to say it's your only / main job.

With the other jobs you need to complete a P46 and tick statement C. Those jobs will then be taxed at 22% (basic rate) This is because all of your personal allowance will be already used up on your main employment.

Going on what you have said, you can't complete a P38(s) because you are working full time and it's not only in the xmas and summer holidays. It's only holiday jobs that are covered by the exemption as it's highly unlikey that you will exceed your personal allowance in that short period.

PM me if thats not all the info you need