Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking the family to the beach? You must be a terrorist! Bombs away!

Seven people, including three children, have been killed by Israeli shells which hit a beach in the northern Gaza Strip, Palestinian officials say.
At least 30 people were wounded in the shelling, they say.

The Israeli military says it has halted all shelling of Gaza and has launched an inquiry into whether ground-based artillery could have been involved.

Four other people were also killed in separate Israeli air strike in northern Gaza on Friday, Palestinians said.

The incidents come a day after senior Palestinian official Jamal Abu Samhadana was killed in an Israeli air strike in Rafah, the southern Gaza.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5065008.stm

Ain't life great in the vibrant, happy democracy Israel is? :)

Certainly better than 'life' in Gaza. Those dirty Arab terrorists... how dare they walk about minding their own business as if they owned the place? Taking their families to the beach as well? I mean...!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Absolutely sickening, I was going to post it myself. If that was me and my family and I survived and they didn't tbh I would probably go out on the rampage afterwards too.
  • Options
    The IDF has apologised and is launching a full investigation.

Some extremely regrettable events, my thoughts are with the families of those affected. Although, while hating to go any way towards politicising a tragedy I think there is a classic instance of BBC bias here. Fox News at one end of the spectrum immediately put the event into context reporting: "Israeli forces attacked suspected rocket launching sites in the northern Gaza Strip on Friday, and one artillery barrage killed seven Palestinian civilians."

CNN meanwhile at the start of its article displays the IDF reaction of making an apology and launching an investigation. The BBC omit any information of an apology. At the very end of the BBC article some vague reference is made to the IDF attacking suspected rocket launching sites but it is not made clear that this was what happened in the case. The BBC effectively implies this tragic event has no context and is simply a massacre. CNN meanwhile clearly states in the middle of its reporting that the IDF was shelling rocket launching areas in Gaza from the sea. Fox News is biased towards Israel, the BBC avidly anti-Israel. Some claim CNN is anti-Israel, it is in fact generally the closest to impartial and in this case I think that's particularly evident.

Going back to this regrettable and very sad event...it is I feel worth highlighting that Israeli soldiers unlike the Palestinian terrorists (who I've never heard some on here condemn) are accountable. This tragedy will be properly investigated and those responsible will face some kind of disciplinary action. This is a war where the IDF are fighting terrorists using missiles to attack towns and villages. If the Palestinians had disarmed their terrorist groups, as in accordance with the Roadmap to Peace and reciprocated Israel's move towards peace through the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza these anti-terrorist operations that spawned this tragedy would not have been necessary in the first place. Unfortunately for the foreseeable future it doesn't look like the Palestinians are going to disarm their terrorist groups that are launching missile attacks against Israeli towns and villages. (Instead of disarming terrorist groups the Palestinians are electing them...) The IDF personnel responsible meanwhile for this deserve to be punished. Although really I think everybody's thoughts are with those affected, I hold out hope really for there to come a day when the IDF no longer has any need to conduct anti-terrorist operations - that do as this case shows sometimes result in criminal mistakes.
  • Options
    Another perfect case in point for the standard apologetic of what is actually a regular and conspicuously underreported status quo for the past near half century.

One retaliatory attack by decades long oppressed Palestinians and our resident extremist Zionist ideologue is beside himself with labels of "terrorists" and "Islamofascist", but when it comes to the much more extensive and systematic daily slaughter and dehumanisation of Palestinians by the IDF killing machine, it's essentially "oh they apologised, that makes it alright then".

This is, of course, not wihtout the necessary stock in trade diatribe about how rightful critiques of Israeli insitutionalised murder, however few and far between, is "anti-Israel" or dare say "anti-semitic"! Just wouldn't be the text book Zionist script without that essential element.

And he dares decry anyone elses morality. Astounding!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    One retaliatory attack

But you won't even condemn such acts of terror. Since 2000 between Islamic Jihad and Hamas there have been over 75 suicide bombs against Israelis. (Although for Islamic Jihad/Hamas the target is Jews, sometimes in particular Jewish children terrorism makes no distinctions and Muslim Arab-Israelis and foreign tourists have been murdered too) Yeah there's been a lot more than one act of terrorism Clan. I guess your memory isn't so good. See here.

And that's just the toll of successful acts, the IDF have foiled hundreds more - the security fence itself too has saved hundreds of lives preventing scores of terrorist attempts. And lets not forget all the missile attacks.
    it's essentially "oh they apologised, that makes it alright then".

Er you obviously didn't read my post. I described this event in question as a 'criminal mistake' and I quite clearly said the IDF personnel responsible deserve to be punished.
    This is, of course, not wihtout the necessary stock in trade diatribe about how rightful critiques of Israeli insitutionalised murder, however few and far between, is "anti-Israel" or dare say "anti-semitic"! Just wouldn't be the text book Zionist script without that essential element.

I accused one poster here of anti-Semitism for defending a Holocaust denier who wants to unleash a 'real' Holocaust in the 21st century. Repeatedly you have refused to condemn the Iranian president for his anti-Semitic rhetoric. (You haven't even ever managed to condemn anti-Semitism in its defined form, instead you quibble over semantics. Fair enough I suppose if you condemned it under a different name but you can't even bring yourself to do that - instead you try to trivialise and undermine anti-Semitism through your classic dodge and try to change the established definition of the term). But it's all unsurprising from you Clan and I would say it's rather telling if I didn't already know perfectly well what kind of a person you are.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Absolutely sickening, I was going to post it myself. If that was me and my family and I survived and they didn't tbh I would probably go out on the rampage afterwards too.

Exactally.

Israel never helps itself in stopping terrorism and this shows why. Someone I doubt wether they honestly want it to stop... probably don't.

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    Looks like it's about to start a war
    Hamas wrote:
    "The Israeli massacres represent a direct opening battle and that means the earthquake in the Zionist cities will resume and the herds of occupiers have no choice but to prepare the coffins or the departing luggage," the statement read.

Oh dear :( I hope I'm not reading that correctly.
  • Options
    Looks like it's about to start a war

Oh dear :( I hope I'm not reading that correctly.

Oh dear... a terrible shame. But you can hardly blame them.. they agreed to a truce... and their people get killed.

Some fucking truce. Yet another one cocked up by... Israel.

Edit: Quick, topic edit. Cutosey of b3ta.
  • Options
    Dis, why are you so willing to accept the "apologies" and promises of "investigation" by the IDF and Israeli government as good enough measures?

Their so-called apologies are not only laughable but an insult to the intelligence of anyone concerned. As for their pledges to investigate, they're nothing more than a hollow statement designed to ease the minds of Israel's supporters. Never mind that the immense majority of 'investigations' come to absolutely nothing at all, from the soldier who empties an entire 18-bullet magazine into a little girl to the one who takes aim and shoots a British peace activist in the head and gets away without as much as a slap on the wrist.

No doubt you are always swallowiing whole their pretext about shelling another people's land indiscriminately because from time to time someone manages to fire off a firework that falls a kilometre away from a settlement. Presumably that makes it alright then.

I love the self fucking righteous reaction from the IDF: "we will stop all shelling of Gaza while investigations take place."

Well, how fucking considerate of you.

I mean, what the fuck???

Why don't you stick your shells up your fucking arse you cunts?????
  • Options
    All views aside, what is the realistic solution?
    Remember, realistic solution.

I myself, don't see one.
  • Options
    There has been one available for many, many years.

Israel to withdraw to 1967 borders and to dismantle the illegal settlements up per countless UN resolutions, and Palestine to recognised as a nation. In return Palestinians end all violence permanently.

From then on they can sit down and negotiate the division and administration of Jerusalem or the refugees situation. But one point remains clear: for as long as Israel persists in its illegal occupation of Palestinian land in the West Bank, there will never, ever be peace.

And since they have never even suggested they might be prepared to pull out, the prospect is grim.
  • Options
    The IDF has apologised and is launching a full investigation.

But this isn't the first time is it? When will it be the last?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There has been one available for many, many years.

Israel to withdraw to 1967 borders and to dismantle the illegal settlements up per countless UN resolutions, and Palestine to recognised as a nation. In return Palestinians end all violence permanently.

From then on they can sit down and negotiate the division and administration of Jerusalem or the refugees situation. But one point remains clear: for as long as Israel persists in its illegal occupation of Palestinian land in the West Bank, there will never, ever be peace.

And since they have never even suggested they might be prepared to pull out, the prospect is grim.

This is why i said, a realistic solution....
  • Options
    Oh I see... :D

Well, I don't think there is one. Since Israel doesn't want to comply it should be made to do so, but since the US of A ensures nobody does as much as expressing a word of disapproval about Israel's actions, that's not a very realisitic outlook either.
  • Options
    The problem Aladdin is that neither of the extremes would support it. Once again it would appear that you only want to blame the Israelis in this quagmire. That thinking is part of the problem.
  • Options
    Seeing as Israel must have a far greater share of the blame than the Palestinians it is only normal to blame them the most, yes. At the end of the day they are the ones illegally occupying another people's nation and subjecting the population to a cataloge of atrocities including collective punishment, movement restriction, destruction of crops, bulldozing of houses, illegal imprisoment without trial, assasinations, murders and kidnappings that has gone unchallenged for an incredible 4 decades.

And since the key to the whole conflict is the continuing occupation of Palestinian land, and since Israel still refuses to piss off from it, they should be the ones to blame for much if not most of the stuff that happens.
  • Options
    Today Hamas launched a rocket attack.

The cycle is continued - and not by the Israelis, Aladdin.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as Israel must have a far greater share of the blame than the Palestinians it is only normal to blame them the most, yes.

So we should apportion degrees of blame then? That will solve the problem will it?
    At the end of the day they are the ones illegally occupying another people's nation

At the end of the day, they were invaded.

We could go on forever. Point still remains that both sides have committed atrocities, both side exacerbate the cycle of violence and neither is willing to back down. Even if Israeli withdrew all of their forces from the occupied territories, there will still be extremists would will not be satisified and will continue their campaign. It's precisely those reasons which make this the most difficult conflict to settle. If it was just a simle of case of Israeli withdrawl then there would be much more pressure on them to do so.
  • Options
    Funny how Hamas has said in repeated occasions (especially in the last 12 months) how they are prepared to sign a permanent peace accord right now and to end the conflict if Israel agrees to end the occupation.

And funny how practically all Arab nations that don't have a peace treaty in place already proposed to do so and to establish full diplomatic ties with Israel if it were to withdraw from Occupied Palestine.

And funny how the Israelis have looked the other way and ignored such requests time after time.

Israel sees the violence as price worth paying if it means it gets to keep the large chunks of the West Bank it continues to occupy. Peace takes second preference to territorial expansion.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh dear... a terrible shame. But you can hardly blame them.. they agreed to a truce... and their people get killed.

Some fucking truce. Yet another one cocked up by... Israel.

Hamas agreed a truce. (Although that's not stopped its members doing stuff under the different guise of Islamic Jihad). Since this 'truce' there have been suicide bombs by Islamic Jihad, numerous rocket and missile attacks into Israeli towns - and these rockets do kill, to trivialise them as 'fireworks' as some have isn't really accurate.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3112844,00.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/05/28/lebanon-sun.html

The latter was Hezbollah, although a Palestinian terrorist was involved and Hezbollah have links with Islamic Jihad/Hamas.

There hasn't been any truce in any real sense of the word. And there won't be until it's possible for the Palestinians and Israelis to negotiate realistically. (And for realistic negotiations Hamas is going to have to recognise Israel). In 2008 with a new president (depending on who it is) plans for a Palestinian state might get fresh impetus and if the EU will pressure Hamas to recognise Israel progress could be made.
  • Options
    Palestinian bomb, dud may be behind Gaza incident
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3260958,00.html
  • Options
    A likely story. Especially given the IDF's record in telling the truth.
  • Options
    I'm really frustrated by this escalation. To me, a lot of it seems like people with egos, who dont actually give a shit about people dying. 'You killed our people, so we'll kill 10 of yours! Kill kill kill!' etc.

Really now I can't defend either side. They're both acting like idiots.
  • Options
    Another day, another Israeli atrocity

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5074798.stm

Ah, if only the death of 9 Palestinians would get a fraction of the column inches in the Western press the death of 9 Israelis usually gets...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5074798.stm

Ah, if only the death of 7 Palestinians would get a fraction of the column inches in the Western press the death of 7 Israelis usually gets...

Typical. They can't JUST get the van. The must get plenty of collateral. Obviously one small missile wouldn't do. :rolleyes:
    Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz said Israel had so far been showing restraint, but would no longer do so.

JESUS FUCK. If what we had before was restraint... I hate to think of what is about to happen. Nukes, I guess.
  • Options
    I can imagine the Nazi press reading with much the same sorts of soundbites prior to the Warsaw Ghetto cleansing. "Beloved German citizens, we have up till now shown amazing restraint in dealing with these 'terrorists' but no longer...".

Amazing how the rhetoric of the powerful over the weak rings consistently the same, regardless of who is wielding the big stick.

All the greater shame upon those who should remember from whence they came.
  • Options
    Amazing how the rhetoric of the powerful over the weak rings consistently the same, regardless of who is wielding the big stick.

All the greater shame upon those who should remember from whence they came.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yep.

Pffft that'll never happen. As long as the US is full on behind them (Despite them flogging the technology they get straight to China), they don't care. The US is hte big bully boy, no one will stnad up to it! And Israel is that little kid who hangs about with the bully boy... immune to anything, 'cos his mate is the biggest.

But when the US goes... who knows... maybe they'll have to start thinking about their actions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Funny how Hamas has said in repeated occasions (especially in the last 12 months) how they are prepared to sign a permanent peace accord right now and to end the conflict if Israel agrees to end the occupation.

But still will not recognise the right of Israel to exist.

NB The cycle continues today then :(
  • Options
    They have said (off record certainly) that they would be prepared to do that. But I'm more than happy to blame them for not making this an official stance.

Why, they are opposing the proposed referendum for the Palestinians to recognise the State of Israel. Shame, because it is a massive leap of faith by the Palestinians, seeing as the other side is not quite prepared to do the same.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    They have said (off record certainly) that they would be prepared to do that.

Source? Sounds like bollocks to me.
    Aladdin wrote:
    But I'm more than happy to blame them for not making this an official stance.

Er, why? If Hamas recognised Israel and renounced terrorism Israel has said it will negotiate - and the international community would put pressure on Israel to do so.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why, they are opposing the proposed referendum for the Palestinians to recognise the State of Israel. Shame, because it is a massive leap of faith by the Palestinians, seeing as the other side is not quite prepared to do the same.

Er the Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Olmert supports a Palestinian state in line with the Roadmap to Peace plan...He has reiterated that during his visit to Britain.
  • Options
    funniest bit so far the isrealis havve taken a week to deny that it was an isreali gunboat, definately not a landmine but a isreali shell according to a human rights group in isreali
    even though at that time an isreali gunboat fired 6 shells and one is still unaccounted for! and are trying to blame it on a hamas landmine but hamas dont use landmines on the beach and the explosion was far too huge for a landmine!
    so the isrealis are saying that their investigation is fine and arent calling for a public one!
    so where did that missing shell go? possible on to a beach! idiots!