Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

working with family members?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
have any of you worked for the same company as a family member?

a job has just arisen at the company my dad works for and it sounds right up my street and gonna put me forward for it.

is it a bit strange? any problems etc?

it'd be a big payrise for me and sounds like a great job.

just wanted some oppinions.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I never have. I never would. Especially if you live with them. You'd never get a break! I'd die.

But at my place of work, like half the company has somebody related to them working here also. Theres cousins, mothers, sons, husbands and wives...
    I dont know how they do it. I take work as a chance to get away from the people I'm around all the time, not to see them more :p

But if its a good job, who really cares. ;) Plus I'm sure you wouldn't be working side by side with him. I've never seen any problems with the people here that work with family members.
    i think it depends on the size of the company, how much you'd have to do with them, how well you get on, if you still live at home...

i worked with my dad once, but i was only a wee temp and he was a big boss, so our paths barely ever crossed, and it was fine.

plus i got lifts to and from work :cool:
    I used to work in retail with my Mum - she was on the basement and I was on the 1st floor, so we didn't see eacho ther THAT often. It didn't make any difference.
    I worked with my dad for awhile. Only one day a week but it was really quite odd for awhile but you get past the whole parent thing. It depends how willing the family member is to spill juicy gossip to your co-workers :grump:
    guess it depends how closely together youll be working. my brother and dad worked for the same company but in totally different departments so they never ever saw each other or had anything to do with each other at work. i think it would be a bit different if you're actually working in the same room or whatever. but then, if you get on well and stuff, then go for it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I work in the same office as my mum, and used to work on the same department. It has its plusses - you get to pick up mail and stuff and office gossip, but you cant ever get any peace!

Having said that, since I moved to uni the only time I ever seem to see her is at work!
    Like a lot have said, it depends how close you are working with your relative. I really don't think I could cope with working with my Mum, but my Dad would probably be okay - we don't get on at home, but that's because we're so alike, so on the work-side that's a plus cos at least we'd be working in the same mindset and towards the same kind of aims.

Where I work, we have two father and son combinations, where the fathers are the direct bosses/team leaders to their sons. As far as I know there have never been any problems with it. The only thing that's not allowed is one relative to be present at the interview to another, nor play any part in a disciplinary hearing. Luckily, that's never come up yet!
    I used to work for peacocks with my mum and aunt we all did the same job lol i never worked with my mum but i did with my aunt and i enjoyed it personally it was a laugh
    My dad, step-mum and aunt all work in the same hospital as me, and two of them in the same department. Although I only work part-time. I find it handy to be honest, free lifts there and back! Don't see much of them so not enough to get annoyed.
    I wouldn't like working around any of my family. I think even knowing that they would be working in the same building is enough to make me say no.
    I don't work with any family members, but I know a mother and daughter at my place of work who do. The mother is a supervisor who works at one shop, the daughter is at the same level at me, and works in another shop. Draw your own conclusions. :p
    I work with family at the job im in at the mo and i dont find it a problem