Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The IRA vs Alkida

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A Palestinian state and independence for Chechnya would only go towards appeasing Palestinian and Chechnyan terrorists - it wouldn't really have any effect on al Qaeda. (Although Hamas and Islamic Jihad claim that a Palestinian state would not change their desire for the absolute destruction of Israel, both have said they are committed to continuing violence and terror even when a Palestinian state materialises).

It's also interesting actually how little al Qaeda/Bin Laden speak of Israel/Palestine and the 'enemy' according to Bin Laden is more regularly defined as the 'crusading Christians'; the Europeans and the Americans rather than Zionists. Al Qaeda has far more of a gripe with US influence in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan than it does with the US being slightly sympathetic towards Israel – anyway, Europe offsets US sympathies towards Israel by being unashamedly anti-Israel.

And Muslims in Israel are treated better than Muslims in any other Middle Eastern country. Muslim Israeli citizens under Israeli law have equal rights to Jews in Israel. Muslims in Israel are among the few Muslims in the Middle East who can vote in free and fair elections. Arab-Israelis have their own political parties in the Knesset. Interestingly too the rise in population of Muslims in Israel since 1948 is mainly due to immigration, many Muslims in the Middle East live in Israel by choice. Unsurprising really, many Muslims choose to live in the West and enjoy the right to vote in democratic elections, exercise freedom of religion, free speech and enjoy the benefits of a liberal democracy. Muslims in Israel enjoy all of these rights.

Again, interesting stuff, but is it really to do with the question?

I specifically pointed out that their motives are mixed and not really the point. The point, in reference to the question, is that they are just the same as terrorist groups the world over.
  • Options
    It wasn't obvious what you made the remark in reference to. If it was as some vague explanation for Muslim terrorism (the West mistreating Western Muslims causing terrorism) well then it raises the question of why Christians, Jews and gays are not bombing Middle Eastern interests to protest against the persecution of Christians, etc in the Arab world.

I made the comment in reference to PussyKatty's comment that Muslims are treated equally in the US and UK.

I dont know, are you suggesting its something unique to Islam?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont know, are you suggesting its something unique to Islam?

I believe the terrorism associated with a very extreme interpretation of Islam is unique, yes. The fundamentalist religious ideology that marks al Qaeda distinguishes them from the likes of ETA and the IRA. Suicide bombing, the bizarre 72 virgins belief and the unattainable demands are somewhat unique. The IRA's demand of a united Ireland is in itself a rational and negotiable desire. (Although it's not something I would necessarily endorse).

The minority of British Muslims that adhere to this extreme interpretation of Islam have demands that are irrational and unacceptable to all of those who disagree with them. Islamofascism as an ideology is more dangerous, more extreme and more alien to civilised thought, it's very different to the IRA. I probably do not support the aim of a united Ireland but like most people I can understand and identify with it. I cannot say the same of the beliefs espoused by the minority of Muslims that support terror.
  • Options
    I believe the terrorism associated with a very extreme interpretation of Islam is unique, yes. The fundamentalist religious ideology that marks al Qaeda distinguishes them from the likes of ETA and the IRA. Suicide bombing, the bizarre 72 virgins belief and the unattainable demands are somewhat unique. The IRA's demand of a united Ireland is in itself a rational and negotiable desire. (Although it's not something I would necessarily endorse).

What difference does it make what excuses they use?

They use terror to try and get what they want, ergo they are the same as other groups.
  • Options
    I think you're both missing the point - the difference between AQ and the IRA is neither their tactics or their ultimate aim, but who they killed.

i could name a dozen people killed by the IRA who I or my parents knew, ranging from family to the person who used to own the local garage (and to be fair I suspect Turlough and his parents could name a fair few murdered by the UVF et al). I doubt any poster on this board knows the same number killed by AQ (or other Islamic militant groups).

But the great English public care more when its a bomb in London, whether its Islamists on the tube or the IRA blowing up Harrods, than they do when another Paddy or soldier getting gunned down in Belfast. perhaps the qualities might devote a few paragraphs to it and if it was a slow news day the BBC might mention it at the end of the news bulletin
  • Options
    I think that's a silly point to make. Of course the deaths of scores of people in a suicide bombing is more newsworthy than a single person being shot.

Omagh certainly got a lot of coverage as did the bombs in Manchester in 1996.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I think that's a silly point to make. Of course the deaths of scores of people in a suicide bombing is more newsworthy than a single person being shot.

Omagh certainly got a lot of coverage as did the bombs in Manchester in 1996.

Not a silly point. How many people do you know killed by AQ? I can name a dozen killed ny the IRA. And interesting how you mention the Manchester bombing - as that kind of validates my point. Because that was in England it got lots of publicity - the number of deaths it caused was none. Even Docklands only killed two.

In the list of PIRA atrocities these are constantly mentioned, but in reality they were minor compared to the numbers killed in Northern Ireland.

Who was the greatest threat between AQ and the IRA and who was worse pretty much depends where you sit... and to me it seems that most English people don't have any real clue about Northern Ireland or what was happening there was ar worse than the relatively minor threats posed by AQ.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Who was the greatest threat between AQ and the IRA and who was worse pretty much depends where you sit... and to me it seems that most English people don't have any real clue about Northern Ireland or what was happening there was ar worse than the relatively minor threats posed by AQ.

I dont disagree at all, which is why saying AQ are far worse and very different from what we've had in the past is rubbish.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But the great English public care more when its a bomb in London, whether its Islamists on the tube or the IRA blowing up Harrods, than they do when another Paddy or soldier getting gunned down in Belfast. perhaps the qualities might devote a few paragraphs to it and if it was a slow news day the BBC might mention it at the end of the news bulletin

That's the point I was going to make, who cares who dies as long as it's the paddy's killing the paddy's seems to be the mentality across the world.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    That's the point I was going to make, who cares who dies as long as it's the paddy's killing the paddy's seems to be the mentality across the world.

Dont take it personally mate, there are loads of other countries we dont care about either.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Dont take it personally mate, there are loads of other countries we dont care about either.

The difference being those countries aren't part of the UK and it wasn't British subjects being killed in them.
  • Options
    I think Al Quaeda have a political ideology and their goal is not simply the end of the West, that is too simple. In the begining Osama bin Laden was pissed of at the US presence in Saudi Arabia which was meant to be free from non muslims. There is something they want other than the end of everything non Muslim but whatever it is the media odviously think it is unaccecptable considering we havent heard much about it.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    The IRA bombings were part of a religious war

not really
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not a silly point. How many people do you know killed by AQ? I can name a dozen killed ny the IRA. And interesting how you mention the Manchester bombing - as that kind of validates my point. Because that was in England it got lots of publicity - the number of deaths it caused was none. Even Docklands only killed two.

In the list of PIRA atrocities these are constantly mentioned, but in reality they were minor compared to the numbers killed in Northern Ireland.

I don't know anyone killed by either. But I know people affected by both.

I agree that I personally don't know much about Northern Ireland. I remember bomb scares when I was younger and lived in Brighton at the time of the bomb there. But I was too young to really understand it. Most people seem to think problems with the IRA are over and concentrate on Al Quada now as that is the current biggest 'threat'.

And I am sure that the media in NI/Ireland/any country, focuses on news there as opposed to other places. It's hardly something exclusive to England.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Your right. I didn't really think before I posted that. I was thinking of the catholic protestant violence in Northern Ireland itself.

its still more political than religious .. im labeled a catholic because of where i was brought up not because im a practising christian
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    its still more political than religious .. im labeled a catholic because of where i was brought up not because im a practising christian
    no but it is that labeling that puts you in a faction and even a ghetto.
  • Options
    Ira etc

the answer is quite simple
    The IRA were only blowing up people
    ALKIDA is blowing up american assets those twin towers cost billions of greenbacks and even more billions of greenbacks to replace
    And of coarse we can't forget the question of OIL to the yanks oil is more precious then gold
    The USA cannot Tick over without plentiful supplies of OIL
    This is the reason they went into Iraq /Kuwait to get rid of saddam and maintain oil supplies
  • Options
    old thread
  • Options
    oatcake1 wrote: »
    the answer is quite simple
    The IRA were only blowing up people
    ALKIDA is blowing up american assets those twin towers cost billions of greenbacks and even more billions of greenbacks to replace
    And of coarse we can't forget the question of OIL to the yanks oil is more precious then gold
    The USA cannot Tick over without plentiful supplies of OIL
    This is the reason they went into Iraq /Kuwait to get rid of saddam and maintain oil supplies
    You still believe a bunch o rag heads in a cave ...one on a dyalsis machine ...attacked New York!
    Desoite the ever growing evidence to the contray.
  • Options
    What's this? The new Battlefield game?
  • Options
    Threads as dead as the people in the Twin Towers
  • Options
    post is dead
  • Options
    Threads as dead as the people in the Twin Towers

OUCH!
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    The difference between the IRA and Al Quaeda?

The IRA drink guiness.

Al Qaeda drink the blood of a thousand virgins / babies / etc. Or so we are led to believe.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The IRA drink guiness.

Al Qaeda drink the blood of a thousand virgins / babies / .
    and petrol.:D