Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cohabitee rights

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    After all, if you wanted your partner to have half of your house, you'd sign for it, wouldn't you?
    Yep. Common sense, surely.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Again, what is the special significance of marriage then for you?
    I've explained it a few posts earlier. If that is not a full enough explanation for people, it's their problem not mine.

Nor that in a free county people should have to explain their beliefs...
    So it's acceptable to force casually cohabiting couples to sign a legal document to get the rights they want (via a pre-nup), but it is not acceptable for you to have to sign a legal document to get the rights you want (via marriage)?
    A 'casually cohabitating' couple would not qualify though would it?
    This is getting more bizarre by the minute.
    Rather your argument gets more and mroe bizarre as you try to find ever more complex and impossible scenarios in an attempt to find holes in a perfectly straightfoward and logical proposal.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, they do.

I'm not sure why they would when they have the option of signing a legal declaration to state who their next of kin is, though.

Something which doesn't appear to be good enough for you.
    No, because as mentioned about 750m times before this more than just inheritance and wills.

I care because it is not for the state to enforce things against people who have not actively stated that they want those things to happen.

If you want to create a system where you sign a bit of paper to legally declare that your partner is your spouse and next of kin then I'm all for it. And now, finally, every single person in this country has that option.

If it pains you that much call it a legal partnership or whatever, but the simple fact remains that if you want your partner to have rights on your property then you need to sign for it.
    Yes, and I can do that through a number of ways already. But there is far more to it than just who the house belongs to. But never mind, pretend that's not the case.
    As MoK states, something as important as gaining possessory rights over someone else's property cannot be decided by assumptions. If you want the same rights as married/legally partnered couples then one of those is gaining rights over the partnership's property. Letting my girlfriend live in my house isn't a declaration on my part that I want her to get half of it should we split. And it certainly isn't a declaration on my part that I want my parents and family to be cut out of my estate.
    A simple and will and an opt-out clause (if applicable) would take care of all such worries.
    If its good enough for everyone else, why isn't it good enough for you? Because you don't want to?
    Do you mean, if it is good for a few million married couples, why isn't it good for a few million unmarried ones?

Flattered as I am at the thought, these proposals aren't planned for my benefit but for those of several million people.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    In a nutshell, I'd say.

The only rationale behind Aladdin's viewpoint is pure selfishness. He can't be arsed, so we all have to jump.
    Way to miss the point.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Seemingly, but I pursue the argument because I simply cannot see what's in it for him. :confused: Am I being thick?
    I don't think you're thick at all but in this particular case you seem to suffer from a case of temporary confusion.

It really is very very simple. For whichever reasons, ever-increasing and significant numbers of people cohabitate without getting married. Why they haven't got married isn't a concern of anyone. Chances are many of them are going to in the near or mid term future. But the fact remains that today, in Britain, such people exist in large numbers but they have little protection if one partner dies or leaves the other.

A proposal has been made so such people don't find themselves in such predicament.

That should be the end of the story.

What you should be confused about (I certainly am) is why a group of married people would mount such rabid opposition to the idea even though it won't affect them one iota.

It really is beyond comprehension. :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I've explained it a few posts earlier. If that is not a full enough explanation for people, it's their problem not mine.
    Sadly, it IS your problem because it is YOU demanding a change in the law. Justify it!
    Nor that in a free county people should have to explain their beliefs...
    You haven't explained your "belief" that marriage has extra significance to that a your own cohabiting relationship. If you aren't willing to stick up for your supposed "beliefs", how can you expect us to take them seriously?
    A 'casually cohabitating' couple would not qualify though would it?
    I'm talking couples who live together, maybe for years but maybe have no children and live in relative financial independence. A lot of elderly widowers live together as companions rather than spouses, for example.
    Rather your argument gets more and mroe bizarre as you try to find ever more complex and impossible scenarios in an attempt to find holes in a perfectly straightfoward and logical proposal.
    But there is no need for a proposal. The solution already exists as marriage!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He wants rights without having to trouble himself to sign for them.
    Oh stop banging about the 'rights'. We're asking for responsibilities just as much as rights.
    In order to achieve this he wants to make it so that every other bugger has to go to the trouble of opting-out of something they don't want anyway.
    What every other bugger? How many loving, stable, cohabitating relationships do you know where one partner doesn't want to share anything with the other in case of a split up?
    After all, if you wanted your partner to have half of your house, you'd sign for it, wouldn't you?
    Yes, and in most cases they have already. But It's far more complex than just who owns the house or who will inherit this and that, just as getting married is far more complex than just 'signing a document' but you are either completing ignoring these points or not getting them at all, so I'm starting to wonder how many more times I can be arsed to repeat them.
  • Options
    Have you stated them at all?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It really is very very simple. For whichever reasons, ever-increasing and significant numbers of people cohabitate without getting married. Why they haven't got married isn't a concern of anyone. Chances are many of them are going to in the near or mid term future. But the fact remains that today, in Britain, such people exist in large numbers but they have little protection if one partner dies or leaves the other.

A proposal has been made so such people don't find themselves in such predicament.
    I agree with the basis for your argument - couples find themselves in difficulty upon death or the end of the relationship.

Would you, therefore, accept the proposal to educate the general public and make them aware that cohabiting relationships do not offer the same protection in these circumstances and that they should get married if they view the relationship as loving, stable, and long-term?

Would that solve the problem you are highlighting?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Sadly, it IS your problem because it is YOU demanding a change in the law. Justify it!
    I haven't demanded anything- certainly not until someone in the Commons thought it was about time. It'd seem that millions of others are thinking along the same lines as me.

As for 'justifying' my beliefs, I don't think I have to mre than I have done already.
    You haven't explained your "belief" that marriage has extra significance to that a your own cohabiting relationship. If you aren't willing to stick up for your supposed "beliefs", how can you expect us to take them seriously?
    You continue to fail to understand me. I have never said that a married couple or their relationship are more significant than that of an unmarried couple.
    I'm talking couples who live together, maybe for years but maybe have no children and live in relative financial independence. A lot of elderly widowers live together as companions rather than spouses, for example.
    Well all they need to do is to opt out if they are worried.

But there is no need for a proposal. The solution already exists as marriage!
    Why can't there be more than one solution?

FYI, millions of couples live together for a few years before they get married. Not everybody can afford to get married right away. Are you happy to leave such people exposed to an uncertain fate because of this bizarre oppostion to a bill designed to help others?

Or should we all simply cease 'living in sin' and stay with our parents or on our own until we get married?

Perhaps this is what it all boils down to... because I have to say I've run out of ideas as to why would anyone other than a fervently religious person have a problem with a law designed to give protection and help to others.

Caring society indeed.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Have you stated them at all?
    I don't think so, no. I'm not the one getting all worked up about a law designed to help millions of people and that doesn't affect everybody else.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I agree with the basis for your argument - couples find themselves in difficulty upon death or the end of the relationship.

Would you, therefore, accept the proposal to educate the general public and make them aware that cohabiting relationships do not offer the same protection in these circumstances and that they should get married if they view the relationship as loving, stable, and long-term?
    Not really, no. People should not be 'encouraged' to get married in such manner.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't think so, no. I'm not the one getting all worked up about a law designed to help millions of people and that doesn't affect everybody else.
    Ok, what does this proposal give us, that isn't already covered by the current system?
  • Options
    Maintenance rights for starters. Amongst other things. Read the link on post no. 1 for further details.
  • Options
    If you want maintenence, why don't you get married?
  • Options
    Because we shouldn't have to get married to obtain such basic and fundamental rights.
  • Options
    But you should have to sign another legal document? What's the difference?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Because we shouldn't have to get married to obtain such basic and fundamental rights.

what about if a couple live together but dont see the need for these things? is there any way to opt-out
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not really, no. People should not be 'encouraged' to get married in such manner.
    I didn't use the word 'encouraged'. Should people be made aware that marriage will provide the rights you are asking for, and that if they want the rights they need to legally declare the relationship?

You need to register a birth to get rights as a parent and for the baby. Should that also change? What if I don't want to register the birth of my baby?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But you should have to sign another legal document? What's the difference?
    Rather significant.
  • Options
    what about if a couple live together but dont see the need for these things? is there any way to opt-out
    I think there should be- I don't know if there are plans for it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I didn't use the word 'encouraged'. Should people be made aware that marriage will provide the rights you are asking for, and that if they want the rights they need to legally declare the relationship?
    I cannot think of a single person who isn't aware of the rights and responsibilities marriage brings.

There is clearly quite a bit of misinformation about the rights and responsibilities cohabitating couples have. The government should certainly make it clear that there isn't such thing as a common-law spouse and that at present people could find themselves in a precarious situation.

And then the government should say that it has plans to put an end to such inequality and to protect the millions of people who choose to spend their lives together without getting married.
    You need to register a birth to get rights as a parent and for the baby. Should that also change? What if I don't want to register the birth of my baby?
    What rights are those? I doubt anyone is going to take your child away.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Rather significant.
    Spell them out for me.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And then the government should say that it has plans to put an end to such inequality and to protect the millions of people who choose to spend their lives together without getting married.

Protect them from whom?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd rather my taxes weren't spent on this actually.
    What rights are those? I doubt anyone is going to take your child away.
    How about the right to NHS treatment? The right to a national insurance number - pension rights, employment rights? The right to own a passport - to travel abroad?

You have to register a birth to get these rights.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Spell them out for me.
    I have (as much as anyone needs to know anyway) several times on this thread.
  • Options
    Protect them from whom?
    Not from whom but from 'what'. Namely from finding themselves on the street with no maintenance or support, for instance, after their partner of 20 years has left them.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'd rather my taxes weren't spent on this actually.
    Yeah well I'd rather my taxes weren't used to finance a great many things but there you are.

The amount you're talking about would be miniscule anyway. It'd be up to the partner to pay maintenance in case of a separation, for instance- not to the taxpayer.
    How about the right to NHS treatment? The right to a national insurance number - pension rights, employment rights? The right to own a passport - to travel abroad?

You have to register a birth to get these rights.
    Well if you believe registering your child at birth goes against your fundamental principles, raise the matter up. Perhaps there'll be enough of you and the government will listen.

I wouldn't have anything against it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well if you believe registering your child at birth goes against your fundamental principles, raise the matter up. Perhaps there'll be enough of you and the government will listen.

I wouldn't have anything against it.
    And this is where you lose me. If your objection is state interference in the relationship, which you have mentioned earlier, then the same argument could be made as above.

You haven't justified these "fundamental principles", and to be honest I don't think you ever will.
  • Options
    I think the people who have argued that marrage no longer has any other significance than its legal ones are in the minority. The majority of people view marriage as a comittment, a ceremony and a historically religious based bond beyond the pure legal obligations and rights regardless of whether the marriage was a religious or civic one. As it is open edit, Wikipedia is a good source for the best meanings from people themselves. This first paragraph from Wikipedia states:

"A marriage is a committed relationship between or among individuals, recognized by civil authority and/or bound by the religious beliefs of the participants. This dual nature, a binding legal contract plus a moral promise, makes marriage difficult to characterize."

People like co-habitees who want certain rights for each other should be able to get them without getting married. I do think these should be opt-in rights though.