Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cohabitee rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5032196.stm

There are proposals to increase the rights of cohabitees with regards to inheritance and claiming benefits etc.

Do you agree with such a move.

Personally it seems completely pointless. The point of getting married is to enshrine the relationship in law, so surely if you don't want to get married then you don't care abiout this other stuff, you don't want your relationship recognised in the law?

Comments

• Options
    My partner and I don't believe in the institution of marriage- not for ourselves anyway. Yet we are completely committed to each other. Why should we be discriminated against because we refuse to enter into an artificial institution?
  • Options
    Marriage should be a personal thing. But it has a universal meaning though and this should be shown within the law. Marriage helps society to come together therefore it should be promoted.

I'm not so sure about this measure. Couples can equally be loving and equal and commited to each other without having to marry. I don't know.
  • Options
    There should at least be some legal provision or document that can be signed so people whose life partner has died or abandoned them have inheritance rights/support.

It is an absolute disgrace that couples who have been devoted to each other and living together for many years have no rights whatsoever if one of them dies.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It is an absolute disgrace that couples who have been devoted to each other and living together for many years have no rights whatsoever if one of them dies.
    Marry then.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    My partner and I don't believe in the institution of marriage- not for ourselves anyway. Yet we are completely committed to each other. Why should we be discriminated against because we refuse to enter into an artificial institution?

Well I don't really know what you mean, if you want to get legal recognition for your relationship then get married, that is the whole point of marriage surely?

getting some kind of contract that says you have legal rights etc is no different to getting married is it, so waht is the point of all this?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well I don't really know what you mean, if you want to get legal recognition for your relationship then get married, that is the whole point of marriage surely?

getting some kind of contract that says you have legal rights etc is no different to getting married is it, so waht is the point of all this?

marriage has a lot of religious roots, perhaps thats why

perhaps they could go through a civil partnership, im sure in the law it doesnt specifically state same-sex given the wonders of lazy law writers :thumb:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Marry then.
    Why should I have to?
  • Options
    But marriage IS, the legal recognition, forget what people used to think of marriage in older times, right now it is simply a useful way of having a relationship recognised by society and the law.

It would change something in that you would get those legal rights which you want. What is the point of introducing another legal process when a perfectly acceptable one exists already.....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

The point is I don't want or need to get married. Why should I have to do that in order to secure the most basic of rights?
  • Options
    The only thing these days about marriage is it is legally binding to make it impossible to just "walk away" from one another and grants a legal "lock" in the case of property and children and so forth, such as in cases of next of kin.

Now if you dont want to get married, you should be able to sign a legally binding contract saying you are in a perminant relations that grants the same things as marriage with out having to get married.
  • Options
    Do people get married for legal recognition? It wasn't why I did. I got married to show a public committment that my wife was the woman I plan to be with for the rest of my life and to join us under the eyes of God (and because we wanted a new dinner set :) )

I personally can't see any problem with giving people who don't want to get married certain legal rights. I know people who live together who've been together longer and have stronger relationships than people who are married (and vice versa to be fair).

If Aladdin doesn't feel marriage is for him, but he wants to make sure his partner is protected if he has an accident etc I'm all for him. The committment's there, the only difference is that my wife spent a fortune on a dress (I hope) she's only going to wear once. The rest of the relationship is little different whether you're married or not.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Do people get married for legal recognition? It wasn't why I did. I got married to show a public committment that my wife was the woman I plan to be with for the rest of my life and to join us under the eyes of God (and because we wanted a new dinner set :) )

I personally can't see any problem with giving people who don't want to get married certain legal rights. I know people who live together who've been together longer and have stronger relationships than people who are married (and vice versa to be fair).

If Aladdin doesn't feel marriage is for him, but he wants to make sure his partner is protected if he has an accident etc I'm all for him. The committment's there, the only difference is that my wife spent a fortune on a dress (I hope) she's only going to wear once. The rest of the relationship is little different whether you're married or not.

Buy that man a beer! :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The point is I don't want or need to get married. Why should I have to do that in order to secure the most basic of rights?

technically you could both draw up a contract :thumb:
  • Options
    Personally I agree with Aladdin.

All should have the right to enter a secular state-operated building and, in exchange for an hour of their time and a small fee, be allowed to leave that building with various legal rights to do with property and inheritance.

Luckily they already do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Luckily they already do.
    Quite.

You don't have to become "Mr and Mrs" these days, if that is the objection.

Even without any form of marriage, presumably there would still need to be some legal declaration of the partnership so what's the problem?
  • Options
    But why should they?

Personally I'm more than happy to be married, but others, for whatever reason, don't. As them not getting married doesn't harm me in the slightest I can't see the harm in having legal arrangements which allow you to make sure that in case of something happening to you a long term partner has rights to your house and is considered your next of kin.
  • Options
    Marriage by another name then? The point is that you'd still have to make the partnership official in some way, so it may as well be at a registry office as a solicitor's office.
  • Options
    It's rather a big difference though. Marriage is still an institution, and a massive one at that.

There should be little paperwork to be involved regarding rights for cohabitating couples. In many cases there should be none. My partner and I have a mortgage together, joint bank account, are registered as living together with our council and other institutions and bodies... there is no doubt whatsoever that we are cohabitating.

That should be all is needed in many cases. In others, a simple signed declaration sent by post should do.
  • Options
    What exactly is your objection to a public recognition of the partnership then? :confused:
  • Options
    My objection is having to get married or having to 'formalise my relationship' in any kind of ceremony whatsoever in order to enjoy the rights everybody else gets.
  • Options
    So a joint mortgage, joint bank account and arrangements with "other institutions and bodies" don't count as formal declarations?

ps Single people don't have the right to share their wealth with whomsoever they choose for tax purposes. What's the difference there?

pps Do you agree that cohabitees be required to live together for 2 years before these rights apply?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    So a joint mortgage, joint bank account and arrangements with "other institutions and bodies" don't count as formal declarations?
    Oh they do. And that is exactly we I should not be required to get married or enter any sort of partnership before a council official or judge in order for my partner to receive in full what would be rightfully hers if anything were to happen.

At the moment however a great many people argue that we should get married to enjoy such rights.
    pps Do you agree that cohabitees be required to live together for 2 years before these rights apply?
    Probably not- it is far too long. There has to be some kind of theresold perhaps. Four months sounds perfectly adequate to me.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh they do. And that is exactly we I should not be required to get married or enter any sort of partnership before a council official or judge in order for my partner to receive in full what would be rightfully hers if anything were to happen.

At the moment however a great many people argue that we should get married to enjoy such rights.
    You're quite happy to fill in all kinds of forms and make official declarations to get the benefit of a joint account and a mortgage, but refuse to fill in a form in public that gives you the tax benefits of a marriage. You're not convincing me.

And do answer the question of why you aren't suggesting that single people be allowed to allocate money to another person of their choosing - a sibling or a child perhaps.
    Probably not- it is far too long. There has to be some kind of theresold perhaps. Four months sounds perfectly adequate to me.
    Why is it too long?

Should the same apply to a marriage? If not why not?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    You're quite happy to fill in all kinds of forms and make official declarations to get the benefit of a joint account and a mortgage, but refuse to fill in a form in public that gives you the tax benefits of a marriage. You're not convincing me.
    I don't have to. But the point remains that marriage is an institution what has massive meaning and weight. It couldn't be more different from setting up a joint bank account if you tried. And it is not for me or my partner. End of.

Or are you trying to say the institution of marriage has about the same significance as opening a bank account?
    And do answer the question of why you aren't suggesting that single people be allowed to allocate money to another person of their choosing - a sibling or a child perhaps.
    They should as well naturally. And they can already. But this legislation covers a lot more than that, as you know.
    Why is it too long?
    Because you don't need to be in a relationship and living together with someone for 2 years to prove the worthiness of the relationship.
    Should the same apply to a marriage? If not why not?
    Marriages are a completely different affair naturally, seeing as they are a sort of contract valid from the second it is signed and where no previous cohabitation is required.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Or are you trying to say the institution of marriage has about the same significance as opening a bank account?
    Nope, simply that to get the benefits of a marriage, you should be making a significant commitment to your partner.

Why do cohabiting couples deserve the rights of a marriage?
  • Options
    Because they are every bit as devoted and committed to each other as married couples. In many cases more so (and in some cases, less so of course).

I think devotion and committment should be judged on every day actions not on a single piece of paper signed decades ago, don't you agree?
  • Options
    Yes indeed. But how will everyday actions be assessed?

There are many different reasons for why couple cohabit. There are some that do it because they are effectively married but don't believe in marriage (for whatever reason), there are those who do it mainly for financial (e.g. housing) reasons, there are those who just want to try out the relationship in that setting, and there are those who move in together but remain financially independent. Because there is so much variation in the nature of cohabiting relationships, I remain unconvinced that legislation should be applied to all such arrangements.

That's why I think there should be a formal arrangement agreed by both parties. You may as well call it marriage as anything else.
  • Options
    It's not more natural than other, older forms of relationships and social structures found in communities for thousands of years.

I don't have a problem with marriage so long as nobody tries to impose it on me or discriminates against me because I refuse to join the club.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm still failing to see the problem with this proposal. It doesn't actually hurt anyone whether people are married or not. OK it assumes that sex before marriage is OK, but I'm guessing only a very tiny minority of people (even religous people) think that's an absolute taboo.

It does however help a group of people who for whatever reason aren't married. It may be because they don't believe in marriage as institution, think its outmoded or based on an outdated patriachial model. personally I'd think they're wrong, but how people live their lives is frankly none of my business.

Given it hurts no-one and helps others could someone explain where the controversy is.