Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Embarrassing things you used to believe that were true

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yup...i had my share of stupid beliefs! here are a few:

1) I used to believe that an "Air Guitar" was a real guitar, just like an acoustic/bass/electric guitar. So whenever theres the advert for 'best air guitar anthems' came on, the moto was "get your free air guitar now!" i used to think "ooh wow! a free guitar with a CD! how amazing!"

Comments

• Options
    Till last week, I thought during the night in the southern hemisphere it was sunny, and that they had Christmas in like July.

Still aint proper worked it all out yet.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Till last week, I thought during the night in the southern hemisphere it was sunny, and that they had Christmas in like July.

Still aint proper worked it all out yet.

Christmas is always 25th December, no matter where you live. Their winter is however is our summer and our summer is their winter. That's true.

It being sunny on other places on earth while it's dark here has nothing to do with the southern or northern hemispheres, it's the position they are placed. Alaska is on the northern hemisphere but it's around 12+hours outside GMT. Whereas South Africa is on the southern hemisphere but would be pretty much the same GMT as us. Get me now?

The obvious one's for me are Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
  • Options
    When I was naughty when I was much much younger mum used to threaten me with "The Man With The Van". She would "phone him" up tell him that I was being naughty and that he should pick me up and take me away, of course she wasn't actually phoning anyone! I would hide in my room petrified of The Man With The Van who I believed had a white van with dogs in the back which would eat me. Mum would make the doorbell ring and pretend to talk to him. I am still scared of dogs now so I think it has scarred me for life!
  • Options
    :lol:

great way for you to be taught not to talk to dodgy white van men though!

I mistakenly thought the foo fighters song was called monkey's freind

"don't wana be your monkey's freind...doo doo doo...." :blush:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    :lol:

great way for you to be taught not to talk to dodgy white van men though!

I mistakenly thought the foo fighters song was called monkey's freind

"don't wana be your monkey's freind...doo doo doo...." :blush:

True about thw white van men but much more scared of dogs!

What is the song called? :blush:
  • Options
    What is it called? :blush:

Monkey Wrench
  • Options
    monkey wrench ?

I used to think there were bad guys in my basement, so when the lights were off I would run as fast as I could upstairs, and I would also sleep with lots of blankets by my stomache to pretend I was fat to ward off any bad people as they wouldn't be able to lift me then :p
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Monkey Wrench

Oh! ok, thanks! Save me embarrassing myself in public!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    monkey wrench ?

I used to think there were bad guys in my basement, so when the lights were off I would run as fast as I could upstairs, and I would also sleep with lots of blankets by my stomache to pretend I was fat to ward off any bad people as they wouldn't be able to lift me then :p

Lol! I would never have thought of that, you're a genius!
  • Options
    When I was naughty when I was much much younger mum used to threaten me with "The Man With The Van". She would "phone him" up tell him that I was being naughty and that he should pick me up and take me away, of course she wasn't actually phoning anyone! I would hide in my room petrified of The Man With The Van who I believed had a white van with dogs in the back which would eat me. Mum would make the doorbell ring and pretend to talk to him. I am still scared of dogs now so I think it has scarred me for life!

Aww, you poor thing!

My brothers used to tell me things along those lines, too. The memorable one is the threat of being "taken back to the baby shop". Though it did always make me behave... and do whatever they told (so basically force me into slave duty, and mean I had to give them all my sweets) :impissed:
  • Options
    My mam used to tell me when i was younger if i kissed boys or held hands they would leave finger prints on me, and the doctor would be able to tell lol
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It being sunny on other places on earth while it's dark here has nothing to do with the southern or northern hemispheres, it's the position they are placed. .

I used to think people in Africa went to bed during the day because it was dark during the day and light during the night in Africa :yes:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Aww, you poor thing!

My brothers used to tell me things along those lines, too. The memorable one is the threat of being "taken back to the baby shop". Though it did always make me behave... and do whatever they told (so basically force me into slave duty, and mean I had to give them all my sweets) :impissed:

Hope you have got your brothers back for that now!

When my sister came along, I think mum had got bored of the Man with the Van and so she used to tell Rebecca (my sister) that the goblins would come and take her away after we watched Labrinth! Mum would just shout "I wish I wish the goblins would come and take you away" whenever she was naughty, then we would then all pretend that Rebecca had disappeared even though she was there screaming, kicking, pinching, shouting etc but eventually she would calm down and then "appear" again.
  • Options
    just the usual - appletrees would grow in my tummy if i ate the core of the apple. Chewing gum stays in your stomach forever and you never poo it out. bears will jump out of the gaps in the pavement if you walk on them.
  • Options
    I suspect this thread may actually be a valid use of time though. Maybe it should be moved?
  • Options
    I thought the world was a beautiful place...
  • Options
    just the usual - appletrees would grow in my tummy if i ate the core of the apple. Chewing gum stays in your stomach forever and you never poo it out. bears will jump out of the gaps in the pavement if you walk on them.
    Just bears? I must've been really naughty because my dad used to tell me that there were crocodiles and lions as well!

I used to believe that 'not tested on animals' meant that it (eg shampoo) was safe for humans but not for animals.
  • Options
    I suspect this thread may actually be a valid use of time though. Maybe it should be moved?

Listen to the girl, Jim V.
  • Options
    just the usual - appletrees would grow in my tummy if i ate the core of the apple. Chewing gum stays in your stomach forever and you never poo it out.

Oh I blieved those too.
  • Options
    I thought the world was a beautiful place...
    Thats a harsh lie for your parents to tell you!
  • Options
    Thats a harsh lie for your parents to tell you!

Yer... But realised really quickly it was not the case...