Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Babies aborted for not being perfect

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote:
    Hmm, I thought 'abortionist' was the term used by pro-'lifers' to describe the OB/GYNS who perform abortions.
    Sorry, Anti abotionists I meant.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Judging by this then, the process which the sperm hits the egg... a few days later... you don't class this as a baby? Nor do you class a baby if it hasn't been born?
    No, I do not class a microscopic (or even orange-size) clump of growing cells as a baby. Nor do most other people in the world, unless they are antiabortionists and/or religious fundamentalists.

I'd advice you to brush up your biology knowledge.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I haven't seen any abortionists yet. Those are people who refuse abortion in any circumstances.
    Yet you speak of "murder" when discussing terminations. You're not exactly a million miles off.

Hell, in fact those who are opposed to any kind of abortion regardless of the circumstances are at least being consistent (if odious in the extreme). You on the other hand believe having an abortion constitutes a murder and yet are prepared to accept such "murder" in some circumstances.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Exactly. What's wrong with a bit of diversity? Why must we all be the same? If it's something huge that means the baby would have an utterly awful quality of life, I can see the case in that. But for one extra finger? Outrageous.
    I bet that rarely even happens tbh, and if it did, how did the papers find out confidential medical records. The daily mail is a tabloid that completely exaggerates stuff and sensationalises it to sell more papers. Daily mail readers love that shit.
    Whatever anyway, its up to the parents. It has to be that way, even if you or I find it distasteful.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, I do not class a microscopic (or even orange-size) clump of growing cells as a baby. Nor do most other people in the world, unless they are antiabortionists and/or religious fundamentalists.

I'd advice you to brush up your biology knowledge.
    It is if the parents want it to be, thats the only difference in my opinion.
  • Options
    A life is a life, end it, it is murder... at least in my eyes... won't even discuss that subject some more...
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    To me it becomes a baby when it has a chance of survival if born early.
    to me its a baby as soon as you want it to be.
    mine was a baby as soon as I saw that blue line, but that doesnt mean i dont believe in the right for women to choose whether they gestate it or not.
  • Options
    how did the papers find out confidential medical records.

Exactly. They say it 'emerged'.....how exactly has it emerged?

If I had was pregnant with a seriously defective (horrible word) fetus, I'd have it aborted. I'm just not strong enough to bring up a handicapped child. At least I don't think so. I admire anyone who has the inner strength to do it but I don't think any less of those who don't.
  • Options
    to me its a baby as soon as you want it to be.
    mine was a baby as soon as I saw that blue line, but that doesnt mean i dont believe in the right for women to choose whether they gestate it or not.

Well yes i do agree with you and i was the same when i found out i was pregnant.
    However as far as the topic goes i think there need to be a line where the unborn baby needs to be thought about aswell as the parents.
    Some babies have been known to survive from 22 weeks, which is why i think it's wrong to abort at such a late date.
    Probably not making much sense
  • Options
  • Options
    I can understand that but we are talking of a club foot or webbed fingers. Not a major deformation.
    Sure i am not ashamed to say that having a child is tough, and having a say child with major problems would be really really tough BUT i am not and the article is not refering to major prolems.

ETA also the reasons i find it hard aren't going places etc its things which would be the same for any child "normal" or not.
  • Options
    I think one of the major points with this part of the abortion debate, is the fact that its "ok" to abort a baby early when you never really wanted it anyway, whereas its kind of harder (at least for me) to comprehend the fact that someone could carry a baby and want it and bond with it for such a long time, and then when they find out theres something wrong with it, they just dont want it anymore. For a serious handicap, I can understand, but for a smaller defect, it feels kind of incomprehensible to me and it begs the question as to whether theyd really thought about what having a child really was about - ie not just a beautiful little replica of its parents but a little person in its own right, who youre supposed to love and care for "warts and all".
    Aborting a baby you previously wanted because the scan shows its gonna be an ugly little sod (which it boils down to) seems particularly cruel, even if one can understand the notion of aborting for some serious disability or terminating early because you never intended or wanted the pregnancy in the first place.
  • Options
    I think one of the major points with this part of the abortion debate, is the fact that its "ok" to abort a baby early when you never really wanted it anyway, whereas its kind of harder (at least for me) to comprehend the fact that someone could carry a baby and want it and bond with it for such a long time, and then when they find out theres something wrong with it, they just dont want it anymore. For a serious handicap, I can understand, but for a smaller defect, it feels kind of incomprehensible to me and it begs the question as to whether theyd really thought about what having a child really was about - ie not just a beautiful little replica of its parents but a little person in its own right, who youre supposed to love and care for "warts and all".
    Aborting a baby you previously wanted because the scan shows its gonna be an ugly little sod (which it boils down to) seems particularly cruel, even if one can understand the notion of aborting for some serious disability or terminating early because you never intended or wanted the pregnancy in the first place.

You have put across what i have been trying to say perfectly.
  • Options
  • Options
    But a clubbed foot still requires intensive treatment - see this website for further details.

But you do what you can for your kids hard or not. So yes i moan its hard like most people but i wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
  • Options
    There's a lot of, "I could never do it" about. Fair enough, people know on an individual what's best for themselves, but it soon turns into, "I could never imagine doing this, I can't imagine why other people would do it, therefore, other people shouldn't do it."

Just because we might not imagine doing something, and can't imagine why others would do the same, it doesn't mean that our moral values should become their moral obligations. We don't know these women, their partners or their stories. Don't forget that, because if you have a uterus - whatever you do with it, someone will hate your choices, and I'm pretty sure users around here wouldn't like others judging their decisions based on sensationalist information.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Just because we might not imagine doing something, and can't imagine why others would do the same, it doesn't mean that our moral values should become their moral obligations. We don't know these women, their partners or their stories. Don't forget that, because if you have a uterus - whatever you do with it, someone will hate your choices, and I'm pretty sure users around here wouldn't like others judging their decisions based on sensationalist information.
    For sure. I agree with that. I still think we can debate it though.
  • Options
    But of course! :D Just a shame there isn't more information to hand. More so would breech confidentiality (I suspect the information was gathered in the first place through the HSA4 Abortion Notification forms that are sent to the DOH), but I'd really like to hear the stories of the women.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    But of course! :D Just a shame there isn't more information to hand. More so would breech confidentiality (I suspect the information was gathered in the first place through the HSA4 Abortion Notification forms that are sent to the DOH), but I'd really like to hear the stories of the women.
    :yes:

As I said, I think it probably has happened rarely, if ever. Not enough to warrant a change in the law.
    Id be REALLY surprised if there wasa huge amount of women/couples out there whod want to or be offered a later stage abortion for something trivial.
    Theyre not just like normal abortions.
  • Options
    Aborting a child is wrong. There is only reasons I can see acceptable is if the mothers life is at risk or she was raped.

Frankly the people saying it is okay to kill a kid, are hypocrits, as many I expect are anti death penalty . So the life of a murderer or a nonce is worth more than an innocent kid? .

This whole subject if it is true is sick.Himmler would be proud. This is a symptom of our society , people are becoming more selfish. Soon I can imagine the old being topped for being a 'burden on their relatives' as well the way things are going.
  • Options
    Hi Burster, welcome to the boards.

I think most people don't regard an unborn baby as a "kid", and don't regard abortion as "murder". The death penalty argument is not particularly relevant in this thread, although it is a classic. Same for euthanasia.

Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by "people becoming more selfish" and how that relates to this thread?

The original topic for discussion was whether fetuses with "minor" defects should be aborted beyond the 24 week limit for social abortions.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Hi Burster, welcome to the boards.

I think most people don't regard an unborn baby as a "kid", and don't regard abortion as "murder". The death penalty argument is not particularly relevant in this thread, although it is a classic. Same for euthanasia.

Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by "people becoming more selfish" and how that relates to this thread?

The original topic for discussion was whether fetuses with "minor" defects should be aborted beyond the 24 week limit for social abortions.

Hi

what I mean is this, in this I have noticed that people are getting more selfish in a general sense. IE more care homes, the elderly and sick not being looked after by their families.Kids being stuck with childminders , after school clubs because mum and dad 'feel' they have to work. Illness's like adhd being used to explain bad parenting. Parents don't want to be guilty so the kids 'sick'.So drug them up that'll solve everything and life will be perfect

How is this relevant? people want everything perfect, well sometimes life isn't fair sh*t happens, boo hoo. Instead of being pleased about having a kid , it's ohnoes he has a minor birth defect. This could put stress on our lives, we might need time off, we might need to give them more attention than another 'normal' kid. I actually blame the doctors more, aborting a healthy baby would i feel go against everything they would believe in.

Nope I'm not some Bible Thumper just don't quite 'get' how normal sane people could agree to doing this. I don't think abortions should be legal at all for a baby with a minor defect, I explained earlier the only two circumstances I can see where an abortion is appropriate. And I find it really annoys when you refer to the foetus as a person rather than a thing. These prochoice people feel a little guilty deep down when you call the foetus a baby or an unborn child. I think they know really.....
  • Options
    Personally, I think this issue does raise important questions as to what we expect from life and what we consider a 'perfect' life to be. If it was a wanted baby, it means you were only open to a 'perfect' baby. While legitimate, I think it's a symptom of a society who cannot deal with difficulties and suffering. We are so concerned on avoiding suffering that we might end up missing out on the most important things in the end... meaning that if you try to take out the bad things out of life sometimes you end up taking out life as a whole - as life cannot exist without the 'bad' parts of it. 'Bad' things will always come with life, its a part of its essence I believe, much as the 'good' things of it.

With this i don't mean we're not supposed to avoid suffering in general - its only natural that we would- only that I think there are limits. I'm not sure where the limits are, I hope they'll be clearer to me in the future, but all I know is that I consider this case to be outlimited.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, mr, do you eat Eggs? Do you call it a chicken feotus or a chick when you cook it and eat it?

Technically, the chance is it's neither. Hens lay eggs whether they've been fertilised or not. If you buy battery farmed eggs there's no chance of an egg been fertilised and with free range there's a very remote chance. If you ever come across a fertilised egg when making breakfast, you'd know about it! :razz:

On topic, i'm almost enitrely in agreement with go_away here. Every case of a woman seeking abortion is individual one, and i think it's very easy make sweeping statements and generalisations when you haven't been in the situation yourself.

go_away: Your avatar makes me smile.
  • Options
    what I mean is this, in this I have noticed that people are getting more selfish in a general sense. IE more care homes, the elderly and sick not being looked after by their families.Kids being stuck with childminders , after school clubs because mum and dad 'feel' they have to work. Illness's like adhd being used to explain bad parenting. Parents don't want to be guilty so the kids 'sick'.So drug them up that'll solve everything and life will be perfect

Riiiight. Based on all these problems owing to people's 'selfishness', if a woman is forced to gestate and give birth to a child she doesn't want - do you think she'll suddenly look at that child and think, "Oh wow! I was totally wrong! I have this overwhelming sense of unconditional love for you now!" Google Romina Tejerina as an example of what happens when you deny someone an abortion they needed. Or talk to the 70,000 who have died through illegal abortion.

What has selfishness got to do with it? Selfishness isn't always a bad thing. Having children is a selfish thing. Are you going to hang around outside maternity wards and tell pregnant women that they're selfish for having children?
    Instead of being pleased about having a kid , it's ohnoes he has a minor birth defect. This could put stress on our lives, we might need time off, we might need to give them more attention than another 'normal' kid

Your compassion for people in this situation does wonders when you look at the overall compassion of the pro-'life' movement. Have you spoken to any of the women in this situation?
    I actually blame the doctors more, aborting a healthy baby would i feel go against everything they would believe in.

Why? Doctors don't force people to abort. In this country it's a criminal offence unless two doctors agree to it. I hardly think they're talking women into it.

I know many surgeons who perform abortions. As a future OB/GYN, I'll perform abortions myself one day. It doesn't go against what I believe in as a future doctor. The woman is my patient, her wellbeing is paramount to me.
    I explained earlier the only two circumstances I can see where an abortion is appropriate

But in rape, the only difference is the circumstances under which the embryo/foetus was created. It's still as 'innocent' as a foetus created in a one night stand. Why is that one different? If you believe it's murder, shouldn't all life be protected regardless of how it was created?
    And I find it really annoys when you refer to the foetus as a person rather than a thing.

I don't find it annoying. As a future surgeon, if it makes the other side feel better in hearing me say I kill ickle babies for a living, I really don't care, so long as the woman still has the choices available to her, it's no skin off my nose. I just happen to believe that the attriubutes of personhood and citizenship are not awarded until birth, whether birth was at 25 weeks or full term. Once born, then it's a person in its own right, and has a right to that protection.
    These prochoice people feel a little guilty deep down when you call the foetus a baby or an unborn child. I think they know really....

Nope. I've seen abortions from 5 to 24 weeks. Guilt here? Not for a microsecond. I do however, see pro-'life' groups trying to inflict guilt on women for having abortions, or considering it an option. They fall under two categories. The Cold Hearted Bitch - who saw her abortion as nothing more than having a tooth removed, or the Poor Little Lost Lamb - who didn't really know what abortion was, and was pressured by those meanie doctors/parents/society and if they really knew the truth, they wouldn't have done it. Have a look at the guestboook of Imnotsorry.net, read the pro-life comments and you'll see what I mean.

CptCoatHanger: Ta ;)
  • Options
    Burster wrote:
    Aborting a child is wrong. There is only reasons I can see acceptable is if the mothers life is at risk or she was raped.

Frankly the people saying it is okay to kill a kid, are hypocrits, as many I expect are anti death penalty . So the life of a murderer or a nonce is worth more than an innocent kid?
    Speaking of hypocrisy, if you really believe that aborting a foetus is murdering a child, how could you possibly justify abortions when the mother was raped? If the life of the mother is not in danger then surely aborting the foetus would be pointless murder, would it not?
  • Options
    And what about accidents? Contraception isnt always 100% effective...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    And what about accidents? Contraception isnt always 100% effective...
    Which is always rare... though this is no excuse to have an abortion.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Which is always rare... though this is no excuse to have an abortion.

Why not? It's not as rare as you think, see the statistics I posted. What is a good 'excuse' besides the woman having to be on her deathbed? Sterilisation can also fail, I've seen abortions due to this as a result. If people have taken measures not to get pregnant, it fails them, and they don't want to be pregnant, why should pregnancy then serve as a 'punishment'?