Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Student loan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been told i should have had this sorted by now but i havent as of yet. :crazyeyes

Should i not wait until i know whether ive got a place on the course i want or not before getting a loan, the 2 courses ive picked have completely different costs and i'd rather not be stuck with a 15 grand loan if i only need a 10 grand one. Also, can the loan be canceled? because I'd rather not have one at all if i dont get onto any courses.

Can anyone reccomend a good lender?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you had a look on www.slc.co.uk ?
    You should have applied anyway. If you don't get on to any courses, they won't give you it. The student loan company are the people who do student loans.
    i havn't got round to applying yet either, is the deadline fairly soon? The form will be longer than any essay ive ever written.
    The deadline was May 26th if you are income assessed, April 26th if not. So its already passed.
    The deadline was May 26th if you are income assessed, April 26th if not. So its already passed.

that just means you wont get the first months money, rather not being given a loan at all surely?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    calm down!! (the scouserness is eventually rubbing off!)
    its fine, they have a deadline, so the majority of people hand them in early so they can crack on.
    i handed mine in about late july for all years (im such a little miss organised dont you know!) and never once have i had any problems with them being on time.
    just hand it in as soon as possible, and do NOT borrow money from anywhere else, in the long run it will cost you a bomb!
    its all fine, so just do it this week, and if you are worried, contact you LEA, and tell a few white lies (i.e. you sent it off, have received no confirmation etc) and all be will be grand!
    The Student Loan Company (SLC) are now called Student Finance Direct I think.
    olaola wrote:
    that just means you wont get the first months money, rather not being given a loan at all surely?
    You get the same amount it just means you are not guaranteed to get it for the first day of term.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ah bastard.

Should do mine soon then...
    Yeah, mine's going to be in late as well. I misread the deadline and I hadn't sent it to my parents to fill in, so tried to send it to them on Thursday, only the stamp wasn't enough and it didn't get there. My mum's lost the child tax credit form as well, so hopefully it will be in sometime in the next week. I tried to do it online but they haven't given me any passwords, and then they blocked me.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, mine's going to be in late as well. I misread the deadline and I hadn't sent it to my parents to fill in, so tried to send it to them on Thursday, only the stamp wasn't enough and it didn't get there. My mum's lost the child tax credit form as well, so hopefully it will be in sometime in the next week. I tried to do it online but they haven't given me any passwords, and then they blocked me.
    Haha, I didn't have passwords either.

I've just done some stupid webchat thing and they are gonna send me some apparantely. Hmm.
    I should point out to anyone reading this that the deadline varies in different parts of the country. In all areas, the non-income assessed deadlines have already passed, but not the income assessed ones. If you miss the deadline, your application will still be processed, but there could be a delay in you receiving any money.
    JsT wrote:
    Haha, I didn't have passwords either.

I've just done some stupid webchat thing and they are gonna send me some apparantely. Hmm.
    I gave up in the end and filled in the paper one. I was buggered if I was going to ring them, my 67p credit will last about 10 seconds!
    icey wrote:

Can anyone reccomend a good lender?

:eek2:

you can apply for the maximum loan available or a certain amount below that.
    :eek2:
    He could loan the money from a shark, in return for sexual favours. Alternatively, go to the Student Loans Company.
    In my second year i sent back the form in june (i had given it to my mum to post but she forgot and found it months later)

they needed to send it back because there was a mistake on it and stuff and it ended up with me not getting any money until november when uni started back on the 25th september.

So what im saying is get it in asap, its not nice being stuck with not enough money to eat when everyone else is out pissing it up the wall

(i probably should add that this was the 1st year that student finance direct took over and im not sure how its been for late applications since)
    Sent mine off on tuesday, hate filling the things in :impissed: