Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Outrage as Galloway says assasinating Blair is "logical, explicable"

According to the Daily Telegraph: "George Galloway was facing calls for his expulsion from Parliament and a police inquiry yesterday following an interview in which he said the assassination of Tony Blair by a suicide bomber would be 'morally justified'. Asked if the killing of the Prime Minister in revenge for the invasion of Iraq could be justified if there were no other casualties, the Respect MP replied: 'Yes, it would be morally justified. I am not calling for it, but if it happened I believe it would be of a wholly different moral order to the events of 7/7. It would be entirely logical and explicable.'." >> Details >>

I'm surprised the Daily Telegraph are covering this story, considering Galloway's ligitatious attitude towards the newspaper. Anyway, as everyone on the forums knows, I passionately hate our Prime Minister. I hate the way he's running down our country, I hate his politics, I hate the way he's corroded standards in public life, I hate him for taking Britain to war on the basis of lies. I have never detested anyone more. Many often question why I'm such a vociferous critic of the Government. Blair is part of the reason.

So, do I believe that his murder would be logical and explicable? No. Far from it. There is nothing I would love to see more than the lying, warmongering bastard rot in a prison cell for the rest of his life. As ever with Galloway, one has to ask the question - is this just a washed-up politician desperate to draw attention to himself? Over to you.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    is this just a washed-up politician desperate to draw attention to himself?
    Yes, obviously.
  • Options
    But why all the fuss? What he said is essentially true imo
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    But as an elected MP, he is displaying complete contempt for the democratic process of which he is part. Tony Blair may well be a war criminal, but in a civilised and democratic country, we don't generally approve of assassinating our leaders. We put them on trial and bring forth evidence.
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    There's no doubting Tony Blair's credentials as a war criminal. However, in a democracy, (or what's left of it) we don't generally claim that the murder of our leader would be "morally justified". Can't you see that?
  • Options
    He says he is not calling for it doesnt he?

All he is saying is that morally he can understand/accpet why someone might kill Blair through a suicide mission
  • Options
    Calling something "morally justified" is tacit approval, no?
  • Options
    Be honest, he would defend it to the hilt if it happened, so let's not pretend that he wasn't supporting the idea.

TBH Isn't this just another example of his attention seeking?
  • Options
    ah yeah I wont deny it stinks of attention seeking.

I just think that if it were to happen, then in my opinion in the eyes of those who did it it would be morally acceptable, infact I would side with those who did it to a certain degree morally (this does not mean I am supporting the idea before anyone says anything! Mainly since I am opposed to murder and I think blair doenst deserve such an easy way out of the mess he has caused!)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Calling something "morally justified" is tacit approval, no?

suicide bombers in israels are morally justified, so were the anti-apartheid groupslike the anc, and so were the french resistance in 2nd world war

what they done was right, not really - why they done it, understandable
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But as an elected MP, he is displaying complete contempt for the democratic process of which he is part.

So he has an obligation to adhere to the democratic process? :confused:

Sounds like more totalitarian bullshit to me...he can say what hew wants for all I care and it doesn't matter what position he holds.
  • Options
    God this stupid pathetic ugly swine...... the idiots who elected this plonker.

He loves having the attension, why doesn't he just go live somewhere else if this country is so bad?
  • Options
    Much as I dislike Galloway, you have to admit, he does have a point.
  • Options
    Galloway is a wanker. I went to see him talk once, he's a good speaker but he's also a twat. He also insulted my mate Dave cos he thought he asked a stupid question, when it wasnt :(
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    So he has an obligation to adhere to the democratic process? :confused:
    Yes.

He is an elected MP. He serves a constituency in Bethnal Green and Bow, and he has a duty to represent the views of his constituents in Parliament as part of a democratic government.

He is free to ignore democracy, but if he wishes to do so he should stand down as an MP and with it lose his taxpayer-funded salary and media platform.
    Sounds like more totalitarian bullshit to me...he can say what hew wants for all I care and it doesn't matter what position he holds.
    Sounds more totalitarian to call for a bloody coup d'Etat.

He can say what he wants, of course, but justifying murder is a tricky one I believe.
  • Options
    suicide bombers in israels are morally justified, so were the anti-apartheid groupslike the anc, and so were the french resistance in 2nd world war

what they done was right, not really - why they done it, understandable
    'Understandable' and 'justified' are different things. I agree that suicide bombers in Israel are understandable, but I don't believe they are justified. However, I do think the French resistance and the anti-Apartheid movement were justified.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    but justifying murder is a tricky one I believe.

He didn't justify it though did he? He said he could understand it. It's a bit like that Cherie Blair incident over Palestinian suicide bombers.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Give me a rifle. Preferably 7.62.
    Give me some AP rounds.
    Give me his next public outing.

I'll do it.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    God this stupid pathetic ugly swine...... the idiots who elected this plonker.
    Well done, Luke, you've just managed to offend countless Labour voters in the past, and the people of Bethnal Green & Bow in East London by that remark.
    Renzo wrote:
    Galloway is a wanker. I went to see him talk once, he's a good speaker but he's also a twat. He also insulted my mate Dave cos he thought he asked a stupid question, when it wasnt :(
    His surname wasn't Cameron, was it? :p

I still don't see how some of you can justify what he said via bland "he has a point" remarks. What point? Yes, it's pretty much well-established that Blair is a war criminal who should be jailed. But since when is calling for murder justified? By that theory, the preachers of hate who called for the Prophet Mohammed cartoonists to be killed were justified in their call for murder.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    He didn't justify it though did he? He said he could understand it. It's a bit like that Cherie Blair incident over Palestinian suicide bombers.
    I know what you mean, and accept that it's just self-publicity, but to use the phrase 'morally justified' implies that he agrees with those who would take Blair's life in a suicide attack. I'd rather see war criminals properly tried and convicted.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Give me a rifle. Preferably 7.62.
    Give me some AP rounds.
    Give me his next public outing.

I'll do it.
    Don't be saying things like that, even in jest.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well done, Luke, you've just managed to offend countless Labour voters in the past, and the people of Bethnal Green & Bow in East London by that remark. His surname wasn't Cameron, was it? :p

I still don't see how some of you can justify what he said via bland "he has a point" remarks. What point? Yes, it's pretty much well-established that Blair is a war criminal who should be jailed. But since when is calling for murder justified? By that theory, the preachers of hate who called for the Prophet Mohammed cartoonists to be killed were justified in their call for murder.

Nah my mate Dave has the second name Weatherill. He's from Winchester. We think he was Mark Oatens rent boy.
  • Options
    Galloway hasn’t said it would be wrong to assassinate Blair, in the interview he said he would report to the authorities such a plan if he knew about it - but only because killing Blair would ‘strengthen’ the ‘pro-war’ camps in London and Washington. Galloway is absolute scum.

I’m quite tired of the animal being called some kind of anti-war maverick, Galloway isn’t some kind of pacifist – he’s urged Arabs to rise up against British troops, he’s justified terrorism in Iraq and he’s urged British troops to ignore orders. He's not against the war, he just supports the other side. And his disdain for Blair, Galloway claims that Blair is some kind of mass murderer is somewhat hypocritical. Galloway’s mate Castro ordered the execution of thousands of innocent Cubans while he was Great Revolutionary Leader. And lets not forget Galloway’s mate Saddam either. Blair cannot possibly be compared to mass murdering tyrants like Saddam and Castro.

Galloway meets Saddam:
    "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength your indefatigability! And I want you to know that we are with you until victory! Until Jerusalem!"
  • Options
    Galloway meets Saddam: "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability. And I want you to know that we are with you until victory, until victory, until Jerusalem."
    He'll never live this quote down. I wonder if Galloway now regrets making such a statement. We will never know - Galloway is not a man who'd ever admit to mistakes.
  • Options
    The BB house has had a more detrimental effect than first thought.
  • Options
    Galloway had a point when he said Blair and Brown were two cheeks of the same arse, and now he has a point when he says it is morally acceptable to assassinate a proven and continuing war criminal.

Sod the "democratic process" (Blair does), just as it was acceptable to assassinate Hitler, it's acceptable to assassinate Blair. Hell, the party's at mine if someone actually manages to smear that turd's brains over three counties.

It's interesting that the defender of the "democratic process" in this thread also defends a voting system which puts a man in charge with less votes than his rivals.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Galloway had a point when he said Blair and Brown were two cheeks of the same arse, and now he has a point when he says it is morally acceptable to assassinate a proven and continuing war criminal.
    Erm... I just feel uneasy reading this. On the one hand, nearly everyone seems to agree that Blair is a evil war criminal and must be punished for this. But on the other, we're talking about the idea of someone being assassinated. That, for me, sounds deeply discomforting in itself.
  • Options
    Nobody should be assassinated purely as an act of revenge. Put on trial for their crimes, yes.

Killing somebody to save lives can on occasion be justified. But is that the case here? Even if someone assassinated Blair the illegal war and invasion was done 3 years ago and it's not going to change- and no successor to Blair was going to pull out of Iraq any sooner because Blair had been murdered.

Galloway's words are open to interpretation. If he was saying he would not be surprised if some people thought Blair deserved to be killed for his actions then I have to agree. If he was saying he deserves to be killed then I certainly don't.
  • Options
    considering the armed gurds etc that have to shadow him ...i susspect theres a n awful lot of people ...tony included ...who fully agree with george.
    george states the obvious ...and manges to grab the headlines!
    politics saddens me rather than inspires me. look at the unqualified men who dare to lead.
    it's so fucking sad.
    the state have become the corporation ... ...politics is dead.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I passionately hate our Prime Minister, I hate the way he's corroded standards in public life.

You havent been following politics very long have you. Standards in public life, classic!

As for Galloway, yets just all turn and look elsewhere and hopefully he'll go away.
  • Options
    Depends who's doing the assinating. If its British Moslems then its unjustified because Blair isn't at war with them and they are attacking the duly elected democratic leader. If its Iraqi insurgents - they're fighting a war, taking out a key enemy leader is justified. That's not to say there cause is right, but its no different from the Germans planning to kill Churchill.

That said it also means its justified for us to take out the insurgents leaders as well.