Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A word of caution from Grandad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Drugs have excited me from when I first took speed at 14. I've tried everything (except crystal meth) and always loved it except for the hideous come downs. I functioned normally but gradually booze was everything and I only had the odd line or pill if offered. About 2 years ago I laid off the booze a bit as too many times waking up in gutters. I gradually started back on the coke but made a brilliant discovery - trranquilisers and sleeping tablets off internet. Stopped slow come down so coould get kip and go work. To cut a tedious story short I am currently getting through about 15g of c a week - on my own as too paranoid to go out - plus at least 20 times any normal trank dose per day. Plus vicodin etc when I can get it (difficult) plus at least 10 ambien a night. I am completely f'cked and health is ruined. I'm going into rehab in 4 weeks and can't f'ing wait to get a life again. So all I'll say is if you've got an addictive personality or tend towards depression just stay well clear. If you can handle it now and again, enjoy you lucky b'tards!!

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear bout that mate. Some people have addictive personalities and it fucks them up, hope you get better soon. :thumb:
  • Options
    Some people have addictive personalities

Sorry mate but thats generally regarded to be a myth, alot of disparate circumstances masquerading as a single 'personality defect' or similar. I was told by a Dr of Addiction Psychiatry in the first year that its almost a catagorical consensus that the 'Addictive Personality' does not exist as a singular affliction.
  • Options
    Sorry mate but thats generally regarded to be a myth, alot of disparate circumstances masquerading as a single 'personality defect' or similar. I was told by a Dr of Addiction Psychiatry in the first year that its almost a catagorical consensus that the 'Addictive Personality' does not exist as a singular affliction.

No, but its fairly clear that for one reason or another some people get more of a reaction from drugs like cocaine and are therefore more likely to go on an get addicted. This isnt a personality trait (though of course there may well be psychological issues there) but more a physiological aspect.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It is also completely discounting the effect that your environment can have in the habits you acquire.
  • Options
    right, yes, my point was to clarify that this isnt something that can be described as a psychologically treatable, singular thing.

LJ's point, that environmental effects and social conditions have an extremely large part to play in addiction model.
  • Options
    I've found addiction (psychological at least), to be very closely related to enviroment. I've lost all interest in taking drugs now that i'm not surrounded by them. Though i feel like anything relating to a human mind cannot be generalized, as everyone is truely different.