Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what to wear in egypt???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I am going to Luxor in July/August and i have read and been told that when out and about you have to cover your legs, arms and shoulders. There are two couples going on the holiday so we will be going out for meals most nights, does the same rules still apply? am i going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe?
(obviously i wont be talking mini skirts etc!!)
:confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,
    I was in Egypt for a week last year. I would say it is definitely a good idea to keep yourself as covered as possible, for your own comfort but also out of respect for the local culture. I wore long skirts and light trousers, and always kept my shoulders covered - even though it was 50 degrees! Even then as a woman you will get a lot of attention. It helps to be with a boyfriend but you will still get attention - fairly good natured of course but it does happen, and if you are showing any skin this will exacerbate it. The fact that the sun is so strong means it is sensible to keep yourself covered from a health point of view as well.
    It doesn't mean you have to buy yourself a whole new wardrobe though - I got a light wrap which I wore over my shoulders over tops that I normally wear (vest tops, t-shirts etc). I would recommend buying or borrowing a pair of loose fitting linen trousers or some long skirts though. It's just not the done thing to show your legs really. I did see some western girls who were showing a bit of flesh and to be honest it looked out of place and kind of disrespectful. At the big tourist attractions (temples etc), you'll see people wearing all sorts - but when you are in markets etc it's a bit different.
    I'd also recommend buying a hat - it really does get stupidly hot and covering your head means you won't suffer so much from dehydration.
    Above all, have an amazing time, some of the places you'll see are just unbelievable!
  • Options
    Yeah, it is generally accepted that you should keep legs and shoulders / upper arms covered in places of religion etc. I'd guess that the same would apply to places that you would go and eat, though I imagine that this is less well observed in some of the more westernised places that you can find in the larger hotel complexes.

There's no reason why you should "have to buy a whole new wardrobe", just exercise a bit of thought and be respectful - a light top to wear in addition to off-the-shoulder stuff would appease cultural sensibilities whilst allowing you to still feel happy.

It's a dry heat there, some clothing covering is well recommended, but stay well away from anything thick and hot, or you'll bake.
  • Options
    A kaftan would be a good thing to go over "skimpy" tops when you go to places where you need to cover up many places sell them.
    Sorry if you're male it won't apply to you.
  • Options
    Whats it like in Egypt these days? I just remember reading about what a terrible state the place was in (in the 70's and 80's).

One of my friends went to Egypt two years ago, and their boat had a geezer with a machine gun, and their tour guide carried a gun.
  • Options
    It's OK - I mean obviously there was that thing a few years back (1996?) where some tourists got shot. I was there last September and every tourist attraction has guards with machine guns - but that is the same as a lot of places like South America and places in Asia. There were metal detectors going into some places - but lets face it that's not so different from London.

There's lots of crazy stuff about it - the street vendors are very, very, very pushy, worse than anywhere I've been, people drive like absolute maniacs (especially in Cairo), but equally there were lots of really welcoming, friendly people who serve you tea, give you little trinkets, and quote random lines out of Fools n Horses to you (slightly surreal!). Out of all the countries I've been to it was probably the hardest work, especially as I took my Mum so felt responsible for her. But I'm very glad I got to see the pyramids, temples, Nile etc. Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Yeah. It's obviously a somewhat different culture there. Many guards etc do have large machine guns and you get the feeling that they wouldn't hesitate to use them in the event of trouble, but they are there to protect the general masses, not shoot them.

I found the markets in Cairo to be very pushy and, in general, everyone wants to sell you something. They can tell the tourists from a mile off and you can get pestered a fair bit. Of course, for these folk, it is their livelihood, so you have to make some allowances.

If you go, try and make your way to Luxor. Karnak temple is amazing.
  • Options
    I hear going into some of the underground tombs is like walking into an oven, so I guess deoderant is a must.
  • Options
    i'd assume you'd wear deodrant anyway, tbh.

least i hope so.
  • Options
    wear bandages :D
  • Options
    wally. :p