Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women win millions in divorce case

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does the guy still have to pay £250,000 a year for life even if he loses his job? Or does he have to pay a proportion of his earnings, whatever they may be?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How could you ever calculate the monetary value of a marriage though? The emotional support of a partner might be worth more than the profits of the business...who knows.

Serious marriages involve a 50:50 division of labour and its spoils. A divorce in a serious marriage should surely mean a 50:50 division of assets.

erm quite easily, work out the money earnt over the period by both partners not including tax, and split it in half and there you go

they have what they have before the marriage, plus half of what they aqquired together over the marriage

why is that unfair
  • Options
    why is that unfair
    It's not "unfair", but makes a mockery of the institution of marriage, which is a commitment to share your life completely with another person. For richer, for poorer and all that.

What if one partner has earned all the cash and the other has spent it all. It's never as simple as you assume.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's not "unfair", but makes a mockery of the institution of marriage, which is a commitment to share your life completely with another person. For richer, for poorer and all that.

What if one partner has earned all the cash and the other has spent it all. It's never as simple as you assume.

yeh it takes that into account but leaving as you were before the marriage, plus what you contributed to the marriage 50:50

would stop disputes about gold diggers etc easily

beats a pre-nup which presumes youll break up, this doesnt say youll split up, this just says, when married you are one and things are split equally from the marriage, but from before that you are your own person
  • Options
    This all seems a very sterile and financially-minded approach to marriage, and divorce. Even if I'm involved in the most acrimonious divorce EVER, I hope I never develop anything even slightly akin to the attitude that some people have displayed in this thread.

Enough to put anyone off the idea (institution, haha) of marriage for good. It makes me feel pretty sad, to be honest.
  • Options
    Nobody's yet come up with a reason why someone is entitled to a percentage of the millions, or billions that the rich partner earned well before the couple ever met. Contribute to that did they?
    And still no-one has. I'll assume there isn't one.
    Kentish wrote:
    I thought things were earned as a couple and spent as a couple?
  • Options
    And still no-one has. I'll assume there isn't one.
    Because at the point of marriage, you are making a decision to share your life with somebody else, lock stock. That includes savings and debts. If you are worried that your fiancee is a gold digger, you probably shouldn't be marrying her.

It's complicated when older people get married, but if your main concern is cash, why are you getting married?
    I thought things were earned as a couple and spent as a couple?
    I don't follow. I'm thinking trophy wives. If you want to trophy, you need to polish it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Because at the point of marriage, you are making a decision to share your life with somebody else, lock stock. That includes savings and debts. If you are worried that your fiancee is a gold digger, you probably shouldn't be marrying her.
    Fair enough. But you are also making the decision to stay together forever, so if this doesn't happen, then does the ideal of sharing everything with someone still remain? Particularly in the case of someone cheating?

I guess it depends on how the two people see marriage though. If they agree beforehand with the ideal that you are on about, then fair enough to them, and they can't moan if it goes tits up and the rich partner ends up losing half their money. But I think there should also be the option to have a marriage based on any set of ideals that the couple might believe in. If that means pre-nups and both parties agree, then I don't see how anyone can begrudge them of it, including the courts if it goes tits up. I think that there seems to be a huge variety of ideas about what marriage is, and I don't see why the law can't cater for them, rather than imposing one model of marriage on everyone.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    This all seems a very sterile and financially-minded approach to marriage, and divorce. Even if I'm involved in the most acrimonious divorce EVER, I hope I never develop anything even slightly akin to the attitude that some people have displayed in this thread.

Enough to put anyone off the idea (institution, haha) of marriage for good. It makes me feel pretty sad, to be honest.

but if you were the judge what would you do
  • Options
  • Options
    This stuff does worry me. Let's say I make millions, marry a woman, and we divorce a few years later. No matter how much, or how little, she had done for the marriage or to create the wealth, she could still expect a huge pay-off. The only people who will benefit from the rulings this week are not couples, who will suffer forever more, but lawyers. My advice - if getting divorced, try to stay out of the courts!
  • Options
    I think people may have missed the point that I wasnt actually saying thats how much work I thought they did, but how much this random article said they did!

I was reading an article thats the same kind of issue though, except the genders were reversed. This woman had inherited something like £100,000 or something, got married, then got divorced, and she had to split the inheritence with him 50/50 even though she was single when she got that.

I agree that in some cases a lot should be awarded to the other party, but think a lot of the time in a marriage 50/50 split isnt the most fair split. And whether or not it's 10% of his income, £250,000 is still a heck of a lot of money to be paying out forever.