Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

graduate jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I graduate this august but technically ive finished uni now

I need a job ASAP. Ive no loan left and when i move home in exactly a week, my parents want money each week to cover the me living there.

Still recovering from a back injury from last year so i need to go for a job where i will be provided with a good chair and i cant do anything very physical yet.

Is it likely to take long for me to find a job? Im not being too fussy about it because i only want it for a year or so to pay off personal debts, but ive heard horror stories about graduates not finding jobs for ages.

I know that im not working in a supermarket as ive been there, done that and it almost killed my back.
Im happy with office jobs, i reckon i could do data entry or whatever, im quite good with computers. Im ok with telephones but i wouldnt be any good at trying to sell things. But ive not had any experience working in an office.

I dont want to do temping because i want something i can rely on to be regular for about a year.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Can you get jobseekers allowance so you can contribute to your parents a bit in the mean time?

Also, not trying to be harsh but beggars can't be choosers. Temping is a good way in, especially if you have no experience. You can often temp for a while and then be offered a permanent job with the same company, if you are good at your job.

What did you study? Don't you have any ideas what you want to do?

Could you do some sort of work from home, like web design for small companies?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Can you get jobseekers allowance so you can contribute to your parents a bit in the mean time?

Also, not trying to be harsh but beggars can't be choosers. Temping is a good way in, especially if you have no experience. You can often temp for a while and then be offered a permanent job with the same company, if you are good at your job.

What did you study? Don't you have any ideas what you want to do?

Could you do some sort of work from home, like web design for small companies?

i did animal behaviour science at uni. I know what i want to do long term but for the time being im happy to do a job im not interested in, purely for the money.

Good idea about the job seekers allowance, at least that will enable me to afford to live until i find something.

I'll look into the temping, thing is i registered at a few before and i never heard anything from them. I suppose at least with temping i wouldnt get bored. Just dont like the idea of having to settle into new jobs all the time as it takes me ages to settle in.

I really want something with good money, im so so poor right now!! Im 21 so not sure what the minimum wage is. I worked at sainsburys last summer which i think was minimum wage, and the pay felt like it was getting me nowhere.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i did animal behaviour science at uni. I know what i want to do long term but for the time being im happy to do a job im not interested in, purely for the money.

Good idea about the job seekers allowance, at least that will enable me to afford to live until i find something.

I'll look into the temping, thing is i registered at a few before and i never heard anything from them. I suppose at least with temping i wouldnt get bored. Just dont like the idea of having to settle into new jobs all the time as it takes me ages to settle in.

I really want something with good money, im so so poor right now!! Im 21 so not sure what the minimum wage is. I worked at sainsburys last summer which i think was minimum wage, and the pay felt like it was getting me nowhere.

I think the minimum wage is about £5 now.

When I finished uni last year, I registered with one agency (I asked around and got a recommendation, this was the agency that the city council goes through so they always have lots of jobs) and was working the day after my final exhibition.

I worked all through the summer, in two jobs, about £7.50 an hour. It didn't interest me at all but let me save up money and in September I started my proper job.

So get a recommendation, some agencies are better than others. Mine also required 6 months office experience. But use your imagination, you've been at uni 3 years, you must have some sort of basic IT knowledge (and blagging power).
  • Options
    yeh i got a basic CLAIT computer qualification at college, and im generally good with computers, just not had any actual job experience with computers

I have job experience in: a farm, kennels, cattery, veterinary surgery, waitressing, supermarket.

All jobs i look at seem to want experience i havent got. I need to start somewhere. If they all want me to the experience before i start, how am i supposed to gain it :S
  • Options
    Just lie/exaggerate. That's what I did for my first office job, got a friends Dad to say I'd done admin work for him. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't necessary.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    You have to wait at least six months from leaving uni before you can start claiming this.

It is true it can take people a while to get a graduate job. Quite a lot of people get a temp job (which is relatively eay to get) to begin with and then keep applying for graduate level jobs.

My step-brother graduated from Oxford in computer sciences and it took him about a year to get a job.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    You have to wait at least six months from leaving uni before you can start claiming this.

I thought it was July 1.
  • Options
    Temping is also quite a good way to find a permenant job - also employment agencies can look for full time jobs for you as well.

If your not fussy about what you do then just apply for all the jobs you see in your local area which you think are sort of suitable and see where you get to.

Also try and get in with the temping agencies now before all the other graduates get back from university.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I thought it was July 1.
    Well the careers adviser told me it was 6 months when I asked her. But that was a couple of years ago. It could have changed.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Also try and get in with the temping agencies now before all the other graduates get back from university.

:yes:

definitely act asap, cause as soon as all the other stoodents/graduates land, you won't get a look-in. if you don't have office experience, exaggerate. i wouldn't recommend lying outright, but you can always tack on a bit of admin experience to jobs you have done.

apply for jobs even if they say they want a year or so experience. a lot of positions will consider someone with less or no experience if they are obviously competent and they like them and think they'll fit into the company. data entry/admin isn't rocket science.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I think the minimum wage is about £5 now.

It's £4.25 for 18-21 year-olds and £5.05 for 22+
  • Options
    sometimes with temping agencies you need to remind them that you're around i.e. ring them up every few days!
  • Options
    sometimes with temping agencies you need to remind them that you're around i.e. ring them up every few days!

:yes: Definitely. Because otherwise all the people that do ring up get given the jobs instead.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    you can start claiming it as soon as you are officially not a student anymore.
    that depends on when your university officially says it is... 1 day later... and you can apply to claim it. there is no 6 month waiting period. :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    that depends on when your university officially says it is... 1 day later... and you can apply to claim it. there is no 6 month waiting period. :)
    Really? That is really good! The careers advisor told me it was 6 months when I asked her :yeees:
  • Options
    otter wrote:

does that mean i can start claiming soon as i graduate or as soon as my last seimester is over? cos i dont graduate till september
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    You don't have to wait till you graduate, just the day the university says your course ends, which is probably 1st July.

Yep: go to the Job Centre as soon as humanly possible, because they don't backdate claims. Last year, my final exam finished on June the 10th, so I should have been eligible from between then to the 22nd of September, when I started my MPhil, but because I didn't realise my student status didn't last until I handed my dissertation in in September and only went in out of sheer desparation some time in July and various other silly mistakes I made, I was only paid my JSA between 28th July and 5th September :yeees: during which time my credit card bills rocketed.

I think it's rediculous that they don't put out more information about exactly what counts as a student and where Masters students fit in, because, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made this mistake and ended up penniless for a summer or even longer. They really need to update their claims guide...
  • Options
    A student is someone who has more than 24 study-hours a week for the duration of their course. People who are on post-graduate courses still count as students, but you don't count as a student between when your undergrad course ends and your postgrad course begins.

Sorry, but you're going to have to temp if you want to get anywhere. Unless you go onto a graduate scheme you don't have any experience, and to be quite honest employers don't care about your degree, they care whether you can do the job with minimal training or not. Temping agencies assess this for them, so temping agencies are the best way to get fast office-based experience.

I've had to start as a temp and only now have I got my first permanent job, and I've been a graduate for two years.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    People who are on post-graduate courses still count as students

Not when the taught bit of the course has finished and you're only working on the dissertation. Or that's what the computers at Harrow Jobcentre said to the staff anyway. I asked a couple of staff there to check, as I was not expecting to be entitled until September, and they both came up with June.