Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is the Internet Going to the Darkside?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The person who invented the internet thinks it is becoming two tiered http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5009250.stm

Personally I think that this has already started what with AOL key words and all...

Comments

• Options
    Thank god, I needed something to blog about -

http://www.youthnet.org/blog/page/blog

Essentially I think it's really shit, and if it gets worse is going to have a dreadful effect on what the internet could have achieved.
  • Options
    Me to i've been harping on for years about how AOL isn't the real internet its just what people want you to see but this is getting to be bloody ridiculous.

Maybe we should all move our intent hosting to India in protest....
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It happened back in the Ninties at first, folks. There is already two "webs" if you care to check it out.

The web has split radically - not politically, or anything else - but another way it seems when you check it out - the unregulated, uncontrolled section lurking under there, quite untouchable to the law - and the legal happy bit, regulated by governments and keeping well within boundries.

But, AOL is deffinatley a bad thing. :p
  • Options
    It's all about control and money. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It happened back in the Ninties at first, folks. There is already two "webs" if you care to check it out.

The web has split radically - not politically, or anything else - but another way it seems when you check it out - the unregulated, uncontrolled section lurking under there, quite untouchable to the law - and the legal happy bit, regulated by governments and keeping well within boundries.

But, AOL is deffinatley a bad thing. :p

I think the difference with this is that it isn't just about content areas, or sections of the web that can be accessed - it's about the fact that the rich will be given more privaledges, will be allowed a much better experience than the poor, and not just on a personal level - that rich companies will be able to have content delivered faster whereas personal pages or charities pages will be deliberately delivered slower to make room for Aol content.

It's a great leveller being turned into a great divide as a pure business model, rather than anything else.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I think the difference with this is that it isn't just about content areas, or sections of the web that can be accessed - it's about the fact that the rich will be given more privaledges, will be allowed a much better experience than the poor, and not just on a personal level - that rich companies will be able to have content delivered faster whereas personal pages or charities pages will be deliberately delivered slower to make room for Aol content.

It's a great leveller being turned into a great divide as a pure business model, rather than anything else.

True, I probably went off a bit. But what'll happen to the darker, unregulated net that has alwys refused to abide by rules? Will it become the refuge of htose who cannot afford the privaledges?

TBH - The internet has always been at risk of this, being US Govt. owned. Wouldn't supprise me if it went ahead full steam, and rich companies took over and dominated it. Mainly AOL of course, who would then limit non-AOL users even furthur. AOL is turning into another Microsoft....

Think of the hell that would result of AOL and MS merging. :nervous: If that ever happens - we're fucked!
  • Options
    Interestingly Microsoft are vehemently opposed to the idea
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Interestingly Microsoft are vehemently opposed to the idea

They don't wont world domination? Supprising. Or perhaps they jsut don't want to share the power. :D

Ah well... they'll never stop the internet! Those crazy hackers will find a way to solve all our problems. They always do.

God I wish I had skills like them.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    The person who invented the internet
    err... no.

person who invented http, and "real" html, yes.
  • Options
    no ...it's going klintside.
  • Options
    no ...it's going klintside.
    :lol: !

Dear god, it'll destroy itself realising it doesn't exist at all, all it is a contruct of our minds. We beleive it to exist, we beleive this data actually exists as some whole, some thing called "the internet".

It will then combust in the biggest explosion of data ever seen, overloading every computer connected, taking out power plants and nuclear silos, throwing the world into turmoil.

And Bush will blame Al-Qaeda.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: !

Dear god, it'll destroy itself realising it doesn't exist at all, all it is a contruct of our minds. We beleive it to exist, we beleive this data actually exists as some whole, some thing called "the internet".

It will then combust in the biggest explosion of data ever seen, overloading every computer connected, taking out power plants and nuclear silos, throwing the world into turmoil.

And Bush will blame Al-Qaeda.
    so kjlintock is realy osama!