Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friend going travelling - gift suggestions?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
\
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Didn't really know where to post this...anyway, one of my friends is going travelling for a year, and it's her birthday next week and I'd like to buy her a present that she can take with her and will be useful, and ideally fun as well.

Have no idea what though; thought about a travel journal but that seemed a bit boring? Or a bikini, but she'd probably prefer to choose her own. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I think a journal is a really nice idea, a blank paged one so she can stick photos/tickets in as well as write. A hard backed one with an original design, it's a thoughtful gift.

She's not going to want to carry much around. Or maybe a favourite photo, you could have it done like a keyring for her to remember home?
  • Options
    Depends where she's going but maybe a sunhat. Or a mini travel sized photo album. Practical things like penknives and money belts are useful, but again depends if she's 'travelling' or just going on a long holiday. Phrase book? Digicam memory card?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I thought it was a nice idea too, but I gave one to someone else once and she seemed a bit like, "oh right, great, thanks" but not really that bothered. And I was gutted, because I'd chosen a really beautiful one that had this quote on the front from Jane Austen that said "if adeventures do not befall a young woman at home, she must seek them abroad" or something like that...and then inside, I wrote a little message and wrote a quote I like by Oscar Wilde: "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train". I was so pleased with it, and she didn't seem bothered at all...but maybe I should just try again and hope that this friend is a bit more appreciative!

I don't have anything to add, mainly because I always struggle with this kind of gift myself.

But I wanted to say what a nice gift that was, it's a shame they didn't appreciate it because it's more thoughtful than your average gift and thought has gone into it... but of course not everyone can have such impeccable taste ;):p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    yeah, id go for a travel journal too. personally, id love something like that. maybe stick a couple of photos in the front of it of you two, or your group of friends, or just things that will remind her of home so she can look at them while shes away.
  • Options
    muji do llots of travelly stuff.. www.mujionline.co.uk