Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cameron: Let's make everyone happy!

Since taking over as Tory leader, David Cameron's been keen to try to change the party's image and policies. Now comes an attempt to do both. Says Aunty BBC: "Tory leader David Cameron says there is more to life than making money, arguing that improving people's happiness is a key challenge for politicians. In a speech to the Google Zeitgeist Europe conference, he said the focus should not just be on financial wealth. Under a Tory government, the public sector would become 'the world leader in progressive employment practice'. But he conceded that some on the right would believe people's well-being was nothing to do with politics." >> Details >>

If, when he says the public sector should become 'the world leader in progressive employment practice', he means we're going to have a bonfire on useless non-jobs like five-a-day co-ordinators, smoking cessation officers and the legions of penpushers this government has recruited, excellent, I just might vote for that. But I doubt that would do anything for the public sector workers wellbeing, would it? :p He's right to point out life is about more than making money, but as ever with Cameron, I can't help but wonder if there's anything behind those words. How will he make us all happy? Does he mean bring back policies which help the nuclear family? Does he mean ending policies which mean couples are better off when they split up than when they are together? What is he on about?

Anyway, what do you reckon - is Dave Cameron being serious, or is this yet more of the gesture politics we've had from New Labour for nine years?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    we're going to have a bonfire on useless non-jobs like five-a-day co-ordinators, smoking cessation officers

You mean the people who promote healthy eating, and less smoking - thus helping to reduce heart disease and obesity, thus reduce the tax burden on health needs?

Those people?
    He's right to point out life is about more than making money, but as ever with Cameron, I can't help but wonder if there's anything behind those words.

There is. He means that "we're going to pay shit wages but argue that they get better benefits".
    Does he mean bring back policies which help the nuclear family?

Like flexible working policies, which exist now.
    Anyway, what do you reckon - is Dave Cameron being serious, or is this yet more of the gesture politics we've had from New Labour for nine years?

It's soundbite politics, just supporting the Blair-lite approach he seems to be taking. It will be interesting to see if he has any real policies to back up this shite, or if he really is just the same as Blair in that regard.
  • Options
    You mean the people who promote healthy eating, and less smoking - thus helping to reduce heart disease and obesity, thus reduce the tax burden on health needs?

Do you really believe that? The biggest decline in smoking in the UK happened in the 70s and 80s...As far as I know there were no cushy 20k p.a. 'smoking cessation officers' around, no ghastly anti-smoking adverts filling our screens and no subjecting 6 year olds to rigorous anti-smoking education (alongside the ever important learning to read and write, add up, etc).
    It's soundbite politics, just supporting the Blair-lite approach he seems to be taking. It will be interesting to see if he has any real policies to back up this shite, or if he really is just the same as Blair in that regard.

If you listen carefully and look around Cameron has real policies but tediously the media seem more obsessed with plugging his green credentials. On education for instance Cameron’s position has been summarised as identical to Blair’s – opposing grammar schools and supporting the Education Bill. But Cameron does want to go further, he has hinted that he would possibly support raising the proportion selected by ability and he also supports streaming students by ability within schools. (Almost effectively creating a grammar school within a comprehensive). And if you listen to him on Europe he’s talking tougher than Blair about standing up to the EU and trying to get a fairer deal for Britain. There’s a few policy task forces so Cameron is still building his ‘real policies’ – in other words he’s treading carefully and adapting and introducing policies in accordance with the political climate. But, Cameron is not Blair; Cameron is a Conservative, if he becomes PM I think we’ll see a different approach to government – a more efficient and less authoritarian smaller government genuinely seeking answers on the environment, social justice, crime, etc.

Low taxes will invariably feature in a future Conservative government. While Cameron hasn’t said it yet I’d imagine in power he’d try to replicate what Ken Clarke did as Chancellor when the Tories were last in power and cut the basic rate of income tax vastly helping many poorer sections of society. Abolishing ‘tax credits’ and instead cutting taxes for those on low incomes would instantly help those on low incomes. There’s confusion over claiming tax credits, they serve no purpose except employ more civil servants.
  • Options
    Low taxes will invariably feature in a future Conservative government. While Cameron hasn’t said it yet I’d imagine in power he’d try to replicate what Ken Clarke did as Chancellor when the Tories were last in power and cut the basic rate of income tax vastly helping many poorer sections of society. Abolishing ‘tax credits’ and instead cutting taxes for those on low incomes would instantly help those on low incomes. There’s confusion over claiming tax credits, they serve no purpose except employ more civil servants.
    I agree with this. The truth is "tax credits" are nonsense. We don't need to bother with them. Just let people keep more of their own money in the first place, therefore you won't need to hire civil servants to cock-up the entire process. Let the poorest in society keep more of their money. In exceptional circumstances, don't tax their incomes at all. Wouldn't that be a great incentive to start working, to discover that not a penny of what you earnt was being taken by the state? I know it would make me very happy! :D

Cameron could potentially do far more for those in poverty than this useless Labour government ever could. This is what true Conservatism is about - helping all those in society, from top to bottom. Tory governments in the past haven't got this quite right, and I'm glad to see Cameron understands this principle. Labour are the party of the rich now.
  • Options
    Do you really believe that?

Yep. But then I've seen it work and don't have a pedjudice against civil servants.
    The biggest decline in smoking in the UK happened in the 70s and 80s...As far as I know there were no cushy 20k p.a. 'smoking cessation officers' around, no ghastly anti-smoking adverts filling our screens and no subjecting 6 year olds to rigorous anti-smoking education (alongside the ever important learning to read and write, add up, etc).

Were you around then? If so then you cannot have been paying much attention. No, there weren't any "officer" around. Instead we relied on GPs and Nurses. These days, we'd rather that they offered different treatment and it doesn't take a medical degree to help someone quit.

As for six year olds, haven't seen it on my kids curriculum, but then I don't obkect to them being taught bout porr diets, lifestyle etc.
    There’s confusion over claiming tax credits, they serve no purpose except employ more civil servants.

Not sure I completely agree. The credits go to those with low income. A taxation reduction helps everyone, including those who don't need it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Let the poorest in society keep more of their money. In exceptional circumstances, don't tax their incomes at all. Wouldn't that be a great incentive to start working, to discover that not a penny of what you earnt was being taken by the state?

How would you do that? You can't base it on individual incomes alone. Example - a lady in my office earns about £10k p.a. You can stop her from paying tax because it's a low income and that would hit your ideal. You'd miss the fact that her husband earns over £100k p.a and she only works for "pin money"
    Cameron could potentially do far more for those in poverty than this useless Labour government ever could.

He could start by not opposing a minimum wage, or it's increases.
  • Options
    sounds more like blair every time he talks

then you hear his shadow secreteries and realise how codl hearted they really are
  • Options
    things can only get better was bad enough ...now it's the smiley party ...we'll make you happy and warm and all fluffy feeling.
    we know you just want to be happy ...so we're going to fix that for you.

what the hell has happened to politics?
    and people wonder about my decision to never vote ...ever again.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahaha, public sector jobs.

Like having 10 people to cut one bit of grass or sweep one street in the old USSR? Brilliant idea!

Happiness is key...? Utilitarian politics? Oh deary dear.

I knew this chap was an idiot.