Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Klintock thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, so everyone will stop moaning:

We have established that states and country's are a construct of the human mind (i.e. if every human died tomorrow, then the various country's and borders would no longer exist). So to move the debate on:

Are these constructs useful to humanity? Is it a good thing that people are seperated into different countrys? If you don't agree that it's a good thing, is it fair that you are forced to participate anyway?

There you go, that outta sort it. :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He's been banned, can we drop it now.
    No point giving yourself an ulcer worrying about things that are accepted parts of life.
    im unsure whether borders are good or bad. what im sure of is that humans are clannish and territorial, which is how this phenomenon of different countries came about.

probably it started of as familys, then moved on to extended relatives, then people of the same cultures and so on. i believe it is a natural phenomenon. a survival tactic.

i think what matters is how different countries interct with each other. that is in hostility or in harmony.
    Kentish wrote:
    No point giving yourself an ulcer worrying about things that are accepted parts of life.
    Plenty of things are an accepted point of life. Plenty of things would be difficult to change. Doesn't mean we can't discuss the usefulness or morality of such things. We discuss things like organised religion, knowing full well that it's not going away any time soon. Why should this be any different?
    Plenty of things are an accepted point of life. Plenty of things would be difficult to change. Doesn't mean we can't discuss the usefulness or morality of such things. We discuss things like organised religion, knowing full well that it's not going away any time soon. Why should this be any different?
    I don't see the similarity between the merits of religion and the merits of national borders, unless there is a specific reason, e.g. Palestine, Kashmir...
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't see the similarity between the merits of religion and the merits of national borders, unless there is a specific reason, e.g. Palestine, Kashmir...
    ok. but so what if you dnot see the point?
    Iron Nic wrote:
    Do you have one?
    Iron Nic wrote:
    he's giving you his point of view ...that he doesn't see the point ...

kill this thread pleeease!
    it's been done to death already!
    Kentish wrote:
    Do you have one?
    i just gave it above.

now i answered your question. please answer mine.
    Kentish wrote:
    I was comparing discussing organised religion to discussing states, not actually compaing the merits of each. In other words, each discussion is equally futile, because neither is going away, but it doesn't stop you having them.
    Iron Nic wrote:
    i just gave it above.

now i answered your question. please answer mine.
    Sir, I fail to see your point.
    still you hadnt answer my question.

about what i said above, what is it that you dont understand?
    I was comparing discussing organised religion to discussing states, not actually compaing the merits of each. In other words, each discussion is equally futile, because neither is going away, but it doesn't stop you having them.
    I disagree. There have been many interesting debates about religion and religious tolerance on this board. There have been few interesting debates on the merits of national borders. It simply wasn't relevant to most threads into which it was forced, and because klintock didn't heed the numerous warnings he was given by the mods, he was banned for ignoring the rules of the site, and the spirit of the boards. It's a shame it came to a ban, but he could've avoided it.
    Iron Nic wrote:
    still you hadnt answer my question.

about what i said above, what is it that you dont understand?
    Kindly restate the question for me. I'm at a loss.
    Kentish wrote:
    I disagree. There have been many interesting debates about religion and religious tolerance on this board. There have been few interesting debates on the merits of national borders. It simply wasn't relevant to most threads into which it was forced,
    And that is the reason why I started this thread. So that anyone who wants to can have an interesting debate about the merits of national borders.
    that anyone who wants to can have an interesting debate about the merits of national borders.
    sriously ...there must be ten thousand friggin posts already regarding this! :crazyeyes
    And that is the reason why I started this thread. So that anyone who wants to can have an interesting debate about the merits of national borders.
    I'll quit derailing it then. :D

Carry on.
    I think Klintock was the only one who wanted to, and since he's been banned this thread is a wee bit pointless.
    sriously ...there must be ten thousand friggin posts already regarding this! :crazyeyes
    All in various threads which it bears no relation to apparently. So here you are, all in one place. :thumb:
    Kentish wrote:
    I'll quit derailing it then. :D

Carry on.
    Haha, I was gonna say. :D
    Kentish wrote:
    Kindly restate the question for me. I'm at a loss.
    ok. so what if you dont see the similarity between the merits of religion and natinal borders?
    Iron Nic wrote:
    ok. so what if you dont see the similarity between the merits of religion and natinal borders?
    no wonder kentish is lost ... :chin:
    how do you mean? how is he lost?
    I think I've given up with my own thread now. :confused:
    Since this thread's been done a million times already, I'll keep this brief. Yes, countries and borders are a human construct. After all, there's no actual walls or lines between countries. (though the Scots tried to keep the English out, but that's for another thread) Do I believe these humanly-constructed borders are beneficial? Yes, simply for practical reasons. If we treated the world for what it is - one huge lump of rock - wouldn't maps be rendered useless?

So, there you go - a tribute to Klintock. Now, can we please go back to bashing the Home Office, talking about the legality of the Iraq war, the BBC being stuffed full of Lefties, and the other things we like to talk about here? :p
    :confused:.com
    stargalaxy wrote:
    (though the Scots tried to keep the English out, but that's for another thread)
    Would that be Hadrian building a wall to keep the barbarians out? Those were the days.
    Kentish wrote:
    Would that be Hadrian building a wall to keep the barbarians out? Those were the days.
    The English and the Scots have put all that behind now, haven't they? ;)
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The English and the Scots have put all that behind now, haven't they? ;)
    I was just clarifying who was keep who out. ;)
    Kentish wrote:
    I was just clarifying who was keep who out. ;)
    ***resists temptation to make snide joke about Scottish Labour MPs invading the English political landscape*** :p