Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ROME any tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
going to rome in july, me and a mate, has anyone got any tips for me please?
thank you
bon voyage
R
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    plain bottled water is called NATURALE and fizzy water is GASATA or FRIZZANTE
    Depends what you're into, how long you're going for and what exactly you mean by "tips"...?

However, to give some generic advice you should definitely get yourself up nice and early one day and go to the top of St. Peter's Basilica for a gorgeous view. I'd recommend going early though, the first time I went around 8am and there was no queue... went another time later in the day and queued for almost an hour :grump: The Vatican museums are all very interesting/spectacular - and you can't miss the Sistine Chapel. You can either do this stuff independently or there are a million and one tours operating. Take heed that it's incredibly crowded on Wednesday as that's when the Pope gives an outdoor mass and blesses all the newlyweds but it's undoubtedly the best time if you want to experience the religious experience of it as well as appreciating the architecture.

The Palatine Hill ancient ruins (and one time home of the Vestal Virgins!) and Palatine Museum are also well worth a visit... lovely gardens and grotto, and a multitude of statues. If I remember rightly you can get a combined Colosseum/Palatine Hill ticket that you can buy at either the Colosseum or Palatine Hill. Trevi Fountain is swarming with tourists but that's to be expected, it's gorgeous at night - don't forget to chuck a coin in!

If you want to take a nice little day/half-day trip then Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli is a nice little jaunt away from the city.

Places to eat in Rome are a bit touch and go I've always found - fair warning, avoid the McDonalds - but Osteria del Tempo Perso in the Piazza del Popolo was recommended to me by a local and rightly so. Lovely, authentic pizza. Another great place to chill and drink a coffee is Piazza Navona, there always seem to be a lot of street musicians for some reason -- it's very lively, anyway.

Oh, one more tip - be vigilant about your wallet/backpack/bumbag and any other possessions... there are a fair few troops of Oliver-style pickpockets in certain areas.

Have a great time :)
    Take an umbrealla.

As with most places in Italy nearly all the shops are shut for lunch and the early afternoon but are open later in the evening - so dont' plan any mid day shopping expeditions as i think most are normally shut 12.00 - 16.00.

Also your going in July which is a holiday month so lots of other things might be randomly shut as well.

Get up super early if you want to see the cistine chaple.

I did a city tour with my friend on our first afternoon - a bit touristy but did help you to get your bearings.

The buses late at night are a bits sporadic and taxi's are not always that easy to find.

Throw the badeker into the Ayer and just walk around (its not florence but the same principle applies).
    when in Rome!

Pfilm2286879908782.jpg
    Replicant wrote:
    when in Rome!

Pfilm2286879908782.jpg

Lmao i love that film
    Don't go in July.

All the Romans leave and let the tourists run free.

Take a trip to the Da Bafetto pizzeria near the Piazza Navona. The best pizza in Rome which means the best pizza in the world.
    Don't go in July.
    too late its been booked for weeks.
    thats for everything, useful advice especially about the water!
    cheers all. i'll report back.
    R
    Basically listen to everything Briggi said cos its all top advice!
    Especially the advice about the Collesium - walk past the queues outside head up palatine hill opposite to the ticket office there - (its likely to be empty or very few people) and get your ticket there. Return to the col and have a smug look on your face as you walk past the huge queues!

Also when your at the Vatican - look out for the students offering free tours. They do it as part of their degree. We had an American lady who was excellent.

When looking for bars go to one of the squares like Briggi mentioned (navona etc) as you'll see signs for bars all over which are just actually snackbars!

Also when crossing the road - be brave and step out but keep up constant speed - ie dont speed up, slow down or panic. Most drivers just slow down/speed up to get by but if you change speed you change the rules :)

Overall its a great little place, excellent food and loads to see.

Have fun!
    As others have said, just be confident when crossing the road. Obviously don't walk right out in front of a bus, but traffic will slow down for you if you're on a crossing, even if it doesn't look like it will.

As you're going in July it'll be hot, but don't worry about carrying around loads of water. Just take normal sized bottles as there are water fountains all over the place that you can use to refill small bottles with perfectly safe drinking water. Keep any bags/cameras in sight at all times.

The best way to explore Rome is by walking. You can't go far without finding something interesting to look at, be it a building, excavation or statue.

Eat lots of the ice cream cos it's delicious!

Hope you have as good a time as I did!
    As for crossing the road, the best thing I found was to find a priest/nun to cross with (there are a fair few in Rome) as even the most aggressive driver wouldn't dare run down a person of the cloth.

As someone has said, Roman drinking water is perfectly safe and actually quite nice.