Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm confused!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apoligies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it!

I'm job hunting at the moment and I'm not too sure what the following means. I'm sure I'm just playing dumb!

OTE - I see this alot but am not sure excatly what it means. I'm guessing by the pay it normally follows it means 'you could earn this' based on commission? Is it always achievable to reach this amount or do employers put in the figure to attract you to their company knowing you have no chance of earning this much? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

Pro-Rata - I really don't get this. It's for part-time, yes? So, if an ad says £12,000 pro-rata and it's 20hrs per week, what does it mean? Do you actually earn 12K, do you half it as you only work half an average working week?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    OTE stands for On Target Earning, therefore if they say £30,000 OTE it means you will earn that much IF you hit the target they set for you. In my experience the OTE figure is rarely the moeny you actually make.
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:
    Pro-Rata - I really don't get this. It's for part-time, yes? So, if an ad says £12,000 pro-rata and it's 20hrs per week, what does it mean? Do you actually earn 12K, do you half it as you only work half an average working week?

Yes. You are correct. Pro-rata means that if a full-time postion earns 20k per annum, somone working half that time will get 10k (even if it is a permanent position).
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Yes. You are correct. Pro-rata means that if a full-time postion earns 20k per annum, somone working half that time will get 10k (even if it is a permanent position).

So, how many hours is it based on for full-time? 37.5 hours per week?
  • Options
    OTE stands for On Target Earning, therefore if they say £30,000 OTE it means you will earn that much IF you hit the target they set for you. In my experience the OTE figure is rarely the moeny you actually make.

I always thought it meant Opportunity To Earn... :confused: But either way it still means the same as you explained.