Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what song are you learning atm?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i guess this only goes to ppl that play instruments (well maybe ones that sing too ;p)..

but what song is everyone learning atm? (if you're not right now, what was the last song you learnt?)

so yeah i just wanta see what people play :)

i'm learning victor wooten - classical thump
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    On the:

Guitar: trying to learn Stairway To Heaven, don't normally play guitar - feels weird playing with a plectrum instead of with my fingers. No intention of taking it up as a main instrument.

Bass: Mark King/Level 42 - Mr Pink, but because I didn't bring my amp back to uni, I get bored playing acoustically.

Good choice on the Classical Thump, although i've never been a fan of Wooten.
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    On the:

Guitar: trying to learn Stairway To Heaven, don't normally play guitar - feels weird playing with a plectrum instead of with my fingers. No intention of taking it up as a main instrument.

Bass: Mark King/Level 42 - Mr Pink, but because I didn't bring my amp back to uni, I get bored playing acoustically.

Good choice on the Classical Thump, although i've never been a fan of Wooten.

i think stairway to heaven's a nice one to learn too :)

And yeah, i didn't bring my amp last term, it's really not as fun playing unamped... I was never really a fan of wooten either till recently, just been watching some of that bass extremes thing with wooten/steve bailey, im in awe :D

ETA: I first started playing bass (first 2 months maybe) with a pick, then i changed to fingers, when i try to play with a pick now i just can't do it... I really don't know why.
  • Options
    I'll be learning everlong by the foo fighters on the drums in a couple of weeks once my uni exams are done, because the band i'm in want to cover it for a gig we have at the end of term.

could be interesting :)
  • Options
    yeah i'm sure it'll be fun :D

my old band did a couple of foo's covers, they tend to be decent enough to play :)
  • Options
    tommy the cat. i'm failing miserably :(
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i think stairway to heaven's a nice one to learn too :)

And yeah, i didn't bring my amp last term, it's really not as fun playing unamped... I was never really a fan of wooten either till recently, just been watching some of that bass extremes thing with wooten/steve bailey, im in awe :D

ETA: I first started playing bass (first 2 months maybe) with a pick, then i changed to fingers, when i try to play with a pick now i just can't do it... I really don't know why.
    Yeah for a convert it's not a bad song to learn! Learnt Hendrix's Hey Joe too, well, most of it.

Have a look at that Mark King piece if you get a chance, I love the sound he gets.

I've picked up playing with a plectrum a bit on the bass again, just to get some clear notes and trebley sounds on stuff like some GNR songs. Can't beat playing with fingers though, especially on my 5 string.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    tommy the cat. i'm failing miserably :(
    Not an easy song to play mate! Save up for a 6 string fretless Carl Thompson to get that Claypool sound too :p

Keep at it, you'll get there! :thumb:
  • Options
    that mark king solo is amazing :D

I really like that tone too, wish i could get something like that out of my setup :/
  • Options
    i've just bought a 6string bass, but i'm probably going straight in at the deep end with that one :)
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    that mark king solo is amazing :D

I really like that tone too, wish i could get something like that out of my setup :/
    I've been trying with my modded jazz bass, just want the right balance of sound with the slapping and popping, but he's got a Trace Elliot amp with a 12 band EQ i think, easy for bringing it all up! I've got a Trace Elliot valve head with simple bass/mid/treble! Hardly as easy to emulate sounds with a restricted EQ, but I love the warmth.
    O_o wrote:
    i've just bought a 6string bass, but i'm probably going straight in at the deep end with that one :)
    It's a wicked song to learn though! Have you got/tried the power tab for it?
  • Options
    Surely everyone fingerpicks Stairway anyway? Fingerpicking on the guitar is really rewarding.

I'm trying to figure out the correct solo for France by The Libertines. Not technically amazing but wankers don't impress me in the slightest. This internet tab thing is rediculous sometimes.

A six string bass? What's wrong with 4?

On a different note, does anyone own an MXR micro amp? I want to use one to boost the clean/off channel on my Jekyll and Hyde pedal.
  • Options
    Surely everyone fingerpicks Stairway anyway? Fingerpicking on the guitar is really rewarding.

I'm trying to figure out the correct solo for France by The Libertines. Not technically amazing but wankers don't impress me in the slightest. This internet tab thing is rediculous sometimes.

A six string bass? What's wrong with 4?

On a different note, does anyone own an MXR micro amp? I want to use one to boost the clean/off channel on my Jekyll and Hyde pedal.
    Yeah I do fingerpick it, use a plectrum occasionally though for some bits.

I try and get powertabs most of the time rather than plain internet tabs, you can at least hear it and see if you agree with it then. Plus it seems people with at least half a clue sometimes create them.

6 string can offer a bit more variety. Not like you've lost the ability of a 4 string or anything, you can extend your creativeness a bit more over the extra 2 strings. Sure it's not for everyone, but they do have their uses.
  • Options
    What's the octave interval on the high E bass - as compared to a Low E on guitar?

Perhaps I'm a bit of a purist.
  • Options
    another good point about 6 strings is the ability to rest on the E string from the B instead of sitting on the pickup (can do it wth a 5 too i guess).. I find the strings a little more comfy ;p
  • Options
    The Audience is Listening by Steve Vai.
  • Options
    6string bass is typically tuned BEADGC.

i haven't actually tried powertab yet, just been lookin at regular internet tabs.
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    i haven't actually tried powertab yet, just been lookin at regular internet tabs.

Try it, you never know. Certainly helped me with a few songs.

For the editor - http://www.power-tab.net/
    For the tabs - http://www.powertabs.net/
  • Options
    Wootens class.

Not learning anything at the mo.
  • Options
    I've been learning the score to Madame Butterfly for a little while now, on the piano. Really satisfying as I can play pretty much straight through and not make the neighbours suicidal. I also just got The Beatles Complete Piano edition, Blackbird's the only thing I've struggled with is Blackbird which is shit as I want to master it and crack on.

Have been neglecting the guitar a bit lately. Last thing I learned on my acoustic was Frog went a courtin' and Oh! Susannah - to entertain my godson. Next up is She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain :thumb:
  • Options
    O_o wrote:
    6string bass is typically tuned BEADGC.

oops i meant rest on the B to play the E
  • Options
    The last one I learnt on my trumpet was Tchaikowsy's 1864 overture - i think thats what its called. Lots of boomy bits that what i like!

Singing wise, for i will consider my cat geoffrey.

for i will consider my cat geoffrey
    for he is the servant of the living god
    duly and daily serving him
    with elegant quickness
    for he knows that god is his saviour
    for god has blessed him in the varieties of his movements
    fow i am possesed of a cat surpassing in beauty
    from whom i take occassion to bless almighty god