Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Downloading TV Programmes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know what the law is with regards to downloading TV Programmes?

I know music and movies is a no no in legal terms

but there's some very educational stuff from the US that will never be broadcast outside of the US and probabaly never made available on DVD so apart fromthe copies people tape and put onthe web you've got no real way of ever seeing them apart from downloading them

There's also series like LOST which will be shown here just months after they've been screen abroad first. But either way te only people maybe losing out are the advertisiers who's commericals we don't see.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The same copyright laws apply.
    It's legal to download programs as long as you don't sell them, as far as I know.
    there's actually nothing illegal about downloading films/music/tv shows/etc, the only bloke breaking the law is the one you're downloading it off, you can't get done for downloading, only sharing.......fact.
    It's legal to download programs as long as you don't sell them, as far as I know.

TV programmes are copyrighted material, and the same laws apply.
    Firstly - everything you download through peer to peer is shared, doesn't matter if it's one byte whilst you download the rest you're still sharing.

And as Kermit says, make a copy of copyrighted material is obviously not legal - just because no one has been prosecuted doesn't mean that they couldn't be.

If you want to quote some legal evidence, with a direct link that goes that then please feel free, but don't be so deluded as to assume that because you're highly likely to never be prosecuted makes something legal.

To be honest the idea that it's legal to download something that is available (though only in the US at the moment) through services on iTunes is flabergasting.

To be honest, I've always understood that under UK law it's always been illegal to even video tape a TV show on the telly here, it's just no one is ever prosecuted - I believe the execeptions are non-commercial research and criticism/review.

And if nothing else, an ISP would always have the right to remove anyone downloading under their terms of service.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big Lost fan - but you have to have the nerve to face the reality of what you are doing.
    Jim V wrote:
    I've always understood that under UK law it's always been illegal to even video tape a TV show on the telly here, it's just no one is ever prosecuted - I believe the execeptions are non-commercial research and criticism/review.

If the copy is for non-public personal use then it is legally acceptable as I understand it, especially as the firms take royalties from the sale of blank CDs, DVDs and VHS cassettes.

You do, of course, have to have received the copyrighted material legally, e.g. on subscription channels by paying the subs or the TV licence.
    It has always been the case that it is illegal to even video tape programs from the television however an exception has also always been made as long as it was for personal viewing.

The only way you could legally download content from the USSA would be if you have the permission of the copyright holder.
    Kermit wrote:
    If the copy is for non-public personal use then it is legally acceptable

My understanding is that it's acceptable - but it's never been actually defined as legal, just an example of the law showing how long it takes to catch up in the UK - in the US you've got the so called 'betamax' ruling that made the a first generation taping acceptable - but I don't remember a similar case in the UK
    I remember being told that you could record a TV programme to watch but could only keep it for up to two weeks from the point of broadcasting. But I don't know if that is actually true.
    Depends what software you using. If your using Torrents or Bearshare / eMule then your sharing as well as downloading. If your using something like WinMX or SoulSeek then your just downloading and not sharing while you download.
    I think some of the broadcasters / publishers are cottoning onto the fact that downloading is rife and going to offer the service themselves so they can include the adverts. When DVDs first came out, you could skip the adverts by just pressing menu, but now they've figured out a way so you have to sit through it :p.

I think the same will happen really - its not a case of whether downloading will stop or not, just who provides it. Lost, for example, can already be downloaded from channel4.com for free: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/L/lost/vod/index.html

that was aside a bit really, but yea. I dont think its technically legal.
    It's illegal. Nobody cares though, so long as you aren't making money through the distribution of it.

Just like cassettes a decade ago, and VHS too.

There has been talk for a long time about changing the law surrounding copyright and personal-use, but as far as I know nothing has changed in the UK. We still aren't even legally allowed to transfer our music to our mp3 players.

Though I know nothing. One of the law students will probably be able to clarify things properly :).