Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Question about the Pill...advice needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I've had a break from taking the combined pill (Microgynon) for a few months but want to start taking it again as soon as possible. The only thing is I haven't had a period in a while (don't worry, am not pregnant, I just lost a stone of weight in a short period of time so that put a stop to it) so I don't know when the appropriate time to start taking the Pill again would be? Does it have to be on the first day of your period, cos otherwise I'll have to wait longer than I'd ideally like to until I start taking it again...my doctor knows I'm not menstruating etc. so I'm not worried about that, just really confused about when to start my course again. Argh!

Thanks lots in advance for any help...

:)

Comments

• Options
    I think you should probably speak to your doctor about this, s/he'll be able to give you the right advice.
  • Options
    Thanks, definitely respect that good advice but I'm going away tomorrow so won't have time to go.

Just in case anyone's been in the same situation I'd still appreciate any more advice!
  • Options
    your period shouldnt stop from losing a stone, unless now youre seriously seriously underweight. Whats your height and weight?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    bygones wrote:
    Thanks, definitely respect that good advice but I'm going away tomorrow so won't have time to go.

Just in case anyone's been in the same situation I'd still appreciate any more advice!

Hi there,
    I've noticed that you've posted this on the sex board too - I'm going to close the thread there as we prefer it if people don't post the same thing twice. To answer your question - it is better to start the pill on the first day of your period, but as has been said it's advisable to talk to a doctor about your specific circumstances.
  • Options
    in theory you can start taking your pill whenever, but you will NOT be protected straight away the way you would if you started on the first day of a period. if you're planning to do this, use another method of contraception as well.

i'd deffo check with a doctor, or maybe a practice nurse to be sure.
  • Options
    I am underweight - I'm about 47 kgs and 5 foot 8. But I'm trying to put on weight at the moment :)

Sorry Helen, I thought I probably shouldn't be posting on both boards, bit cheeky...I'll try and pop into my walk in centre early tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • Options
    so your 5ft 8 and 7 stone 4. Not too surprised your periods have stopped.
    How did the weight come off so suddenly?
    You can be honest :)
  • Options
    Nothing scandalous - I had surgery on my jaw so couldn't physically eat for about 8 weeks - only just started having anything vaguely solid. I've always been a bit skinny anyway, it's just my natural frame...