Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Worried about money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suppose everyone is really, it's just I wonder how I'm going to be able to afford the things I want / need - and I've got uni coming up and am worried because I've put no money aside for that that I will be skint!

I get a small income, around £90 per week, and spend the equivelent of £22.50 on bills per week, which gives me a fairly large disposable income. But how can I afford my bike test, the stuff I need for uni, etc. etc.

Most of my friends have their parents help them out financially but in my household its the other way round. Mum's always at her overdraft limit and I often end up having to pay for weekly groceries. She owed me £440 but we came to an agreement with some other stuff and that's at £90 now.

Just worried I'm not going to have enough money for the next year or so, normally I'm ok for money but it's just a tight spot at the moment. Was wondering if I could open a student bank accont and use the interest free overdraft as a short term solution?

Rich

Comments

• Options
    Do you have a job or not?
  • Options
    yea but am quitting at the start of august.
  • Options
    I don't know if you can open a student bank account, I couldn't until I started university. Ask at the banks. But is an overdraft really a solution?

What do you need for uni? It doesn't need to be that expensive. You can pick up stuff from charity shops like crockery, use places like freecycle.org

Can't you delay your bike test? I drive a scooter and would like to take my bike test but am not going to for a while as I can't afford it and it's not a priority.
  • Options
    If your going to uni then surely you'll get a loan to help you out?
  • Options
    open a student account in july / august.. you'll get free stuff then :D (just wait till u see the adverts on tv / flyers etc).

And you'll also get a loan yeah, though you should probably be applying very soon...
  • Options
    priorities, sonny!
  • Options
    Most universities have 'Hardship Loans' and 'Hardship Funds' to help students in difficult financial situations.

Go talk to the NUS people at your Uni and explain your situation exactly like you did here. They should hopefully be able to offer help.
  • Options
    I think I'll be ok when I'm at university. It's just the following few months. I need a motorbike licence to get to uni and back, rather than using trains or busses (trying to get a train to york takes 4 hours one way! :().
  • Options
    Ah kerist :( bills came through the post today. I'm going to have the money, but I dont know exactly when my pay slip goes in. Mate wants £40 as well! And I've no chance of seeing the £110 or so my sister / mum owe me anytime soon.

So, if we disregard my bike licence for the time being... (my brother has given me an early bday present of a bike service on the new bike, because it doesnt run perfect i.e. the battery gets flat every 2 miles)

O2 bill has been paid. Why was it £10 less than I'm supposed to be paying? I don't know. Perhaps, it's because they count each month from the start of the month, and I started partway through, then they just made me pay for the 20 days or so I've had it... I'm hoping that's the case anyway. REAALLLLY don't want to have to pay another big bill in a few days.

Insurance has come through. £61.55 on the 28May

In my bank: £29.13

I last got paid: 28/04/2006 - plus 4 weeks... I'm hoping that's before the 28th of May.

Then I should have *just* enough money in my bank account.

And can start worrying about everything else after that.

Lordy lord.
  • Options
    If you can't afford to give money away (that is, if you give it away you don't have enough money left for yourself) don't lent it.
  • Options
    You think you've got problems...

I owe out £350 a month on loans, finance etc. I've already had one default notice, and am in arrears with about 5 different companies.

All cos i lost my job :yes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If you can't afford to give money away (that is, if you give it away you don't have enough money left for yourself) don't lent it.
    Would you refuse your own mother a loan if she needed it?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Would you refuse your own mother a loan if she needed it?

If I knew I could do without the money for a bit, then I wouldn't refuse.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    You think you've got problems...

I owe out £350 a month on loans, finance etc. I've already had one default notice, and am in arrears with about 5 different companies.

All cos i lost my job :yes:

try having £500 on a credit card, £70 on a store card, £2000 of overdraft and then already £8k of student debt. ;)

have to say it doesn't bother me. aiming to pay my credit card (i got it to pay off storecards) off over the summer.
  • Options
    try having £500 on a credit card, £70 on a store card, £2000 of overdraft and then already £8k of student debt. ;)

have to say it doesn't bother me. aiming to pay my credit card (i got it to pay off storecards) off over the summer.

We can beat that but i won't shame how much.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    We can beat that but i won't shame how much.

you have a mortgage i should think thus a house to show for it!
  • Options
    you have a mortgage i should think thus a house to show for it!

:no: :crying: We don't earn enough for that, not in Bristol anyway.
  • Options
    I can afford it, its just, the money goes out, and you think you're pretty secure - you've got assetts tied up that will be turned into cash eventually - but then everything falls apart and everyone wants their cash, and you're like "christ! arghh! what do i do?" cos all your plans are falling apart. And then your family, let alone having the cash to lend you to help you out, actually need you to lend them cash to help out.

Will be at uni soon :) rich street then!
  • Options

Will be at uni soon :) rich street then!

:eek2:
  • Options
    :eek2:

i.e. not having mum and sister about :)

I end up paying for the groceries sometimes :( that sucks.
  • Options
    i.e. not having mum and sister about :)

I end up paying for the groceries sometimes :( that sucks.

you'll have other stuff like rent and fees to pay though.

and you'll be in more debt.
  • Options
    you'll have other stuff like rent and fees to pay though.

and you'll be in more debt.

manageable debt :)
  • Options
    You're saying your Mum and Sister are going to have to cope when you go to uni, why arent they doing it just now?

You're too young to be worrying about money, you should be enjoying your youth not worrying about buying the groceries. I know your family has been through a rough time but you Mum needs to start acting like a Mum.
  • Options
    i used to worry about my debt, had up to about £8k at one point, but it all works out in the end as long as its affordable debt, ive never missed a credit card payment etc... in my life, so still technically have a good credit record.

now im buying a house, all my debt will be vanishing into the house, so its all worked out fine.

live while you are young, dont worry about it. fair enough i had lots of debts, but i'd also travelled the world, got a car, and generally had a rocking time off that debt, so i look back on it fondly.
  • Options
    my advice to anyone is don't join in with the "want it now" culture that is growing through our generation.

I used to earn quite a lot of spare cash through extra curricular activities and after I stopped them I still lived a rather lavish lifestyle and managed to rack up around 25K in debt by the time I was 20. (10K of this was a car but still) - It has been the biggest bane of my life, for example when I got my missus pregnant and then needed to get a house that debt was a real problem.

I am now nearly out of that debt, in about 2 months I should only owe about 1K on a credit card and a few K to family which is being paid back monthly.
  • Options
    Got paid! So now my bills can go out without hassle.

Need some help though. Is it likely that they'd give me interest on top of the overtime they owed me? Look at this:

Last night I got paid £317.82

I work for £5.21 an hour, and work 48 hours normally. However, 317.82 divided by 5.21 = 61 hours. So even if they credited me with the first overtime - 4 hours, plus 4 hours last month, thats only 56 hours.

Aha. Got 4 hours at a higher rate didn't I?? So, 52 hours @ 5.21, 4 hours @ x2 rate, seems to work out. I think.

Anyway, who wants to go shopping? :razz: Just kidding!
  • Options
    my advice to anyone is don't join in with the "want it now" culture that is growing through our generation.

I used to earn quite a lot of spare cash through extra curricular activities and after I stopped them I still lived a rather lavish lifestyle and managed to rack up around 25K in debt by the time I was 20. (10K of this was a car but still) - It has been the biggest bane of my life, for example when I got my missus pregnant and then needed to get a house that debt was a real problem.

I am now nearly out of that debt, in about 2 months I should only owe about 1K on a credit card and a few K to family which is being paid back monthly.

I wholeheartedly agree with this I know soo many people who have run up debts at a stupidly early age and are going to be paying them back for the rest of thier lives. Your gambling now on being able to earn loads in the future but you can never tell what your future will hold - your far better off saving up to do stuff and not living a lifestyle that you can't afford.
  • Options
    Well since you're coming to York you can come round to mine for a Tesco Value dinner when you get really hungry :D
  • Options
    Well since you're coming to York you can come round to mine for a Tesco Value dinner when you get really hungry :D

:D I can't wait! :lol:
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree with this I know soo many people who have run up debts at a stupidly early age and are going to be paying them back for the rest of thier lives. Your gambling now on being able to earn loads in the future but you can never tell what your future will hold - your far better off saving up to do stuff and not living a lifestyle that you can't afford.

Exactly, I am very fortunate that I get well paid so I have managed to work my ass off and clear most of it ! But it is so socially acceptable to be in 5K of debt as a minimum ! That is bad bad bad