Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quitting / holidays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so fairly straightforward question. Some background info first:

I work at the coop. Have to give 4 weeks notice. I'm going on holiday at the start of august. I was hoping to give 4 weks notice half way through june, and then start my holiday and not come back afterwards.

My question is:

will they allow this? I'm worried about asking at my shop incase they become prejudiced against me. But to be fair I'm starting university this year and they knew that so it was only to be expected. I'm sure they'll be glad to be rid of me anyway :D.

Last year they didn't give me my holiday pay so I was a bit peeved.

They still owe my like £40 for overtime that they keep forgetting to pay me, too. Sucks a bit :(

Comments

• Options
    If you have the holiday entitlement, and it's accrued enough, then you are entitled to take it. However, they might not allow you to go on holiday then, in which case you'd have to resign earlier, but then they would have to pay you for any holiday you've not taken.

And they should pay your your overtime too, tell them to shapen up.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If you have the holiday entitlement, and it's accrued enough, then you are entitled to take it. However, they might not allow you to go on holiday then, in which case you'd have to resign earlier, but then they would have to pay you for any holiday you've not taken.

And they should pay your your overtime too, tell them to shapen up.

Lol, it was overdue, I told cash office, they told me ok they'd pay it, then last paycheck, did I get it? Nope. :(

Last year I went on holiday during my induction period which I didnt get paid for. They still took it out of my paid holiday though *cries*
  • Options
    there shouldnt be a problem, they cant really be prejudice towards you for having handing in your notice, if they are, so what? you are leaving anyway!

generally when ive handed notices in the past i generally say "this is my notice, but if you want me to leave now i'd be willing too" it gives em that option then, but you are still willing to do the notice if required.

as mentioned on holidays, you will only get the ones that have been acrued, not your entire holiday allowance.

i'd just keep pestering them for your overtime they owe you, you should get it eventually.
  • Options
    Sorry im a bit dim what does 'accrued' mean? I am entitlted I think to the equivelent of 2 weeks paid holiday per year starting in april. (24 hours)
  • Options
    Accumulated over time. Think accured interest. Alot of companies do their holiday pay time different. Mine for example, you accur x amount of vacation time each week, which totals 80 hours by the end of the year (or more depending on how long you've worked)
    However if you take 24 hours of vacation in january and quit in february, since you have not accrued the vacation time you took, they will take take back any time you didn't earn. So if you only earned 4 of those hours, they will essentialy take out 20 hours of pay from you. If that makes any sense.

But alot of places are different, boyfriend, for example, gets 120 hours each year from Jan 1. He could take them all straight away and not be penalized. best guess would be to just either ask your supervisor/boss, or just ask somebody you work with that would know so they can tell you how your company's policies work.
  • Options
    depends when your holiday year starts and how many you get?

say your holidays started in april, they'll probably only owe you like 3 days holiday pay up to now, not the entire years worth. because you havent earnt them.
  • Options
    the coop are shite. i work for them too. im only contracted to work saturdays but i work alot more. ive asked for two saturdays off in august coz im going on holiday. they've told me the only way i can have it off is if i take it without pay as there are already three other people off. i need them off though so i cant be arsed to argue.