Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pregnant after patches

Does anyone know how long after using the contraceptive patches u can become pregnant? Accordin to the leaflet, it takes about 3 months to get ur cycle normal. So is it 3 months before trying to conceive? Or is that just a rough guess sort of?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say that it would vary from person to person, so just use that as a rough guide...Thats how long it takes for it to get out of your system
  • Options
    Well i think they say 6 months for the pill and i got pregnant in the first month.
  • Options
    Thanks. Also, i'd like ur opinions. I'm 18 n my boyfriend 24, we've been talking and thinkin alot about havin a baby as we think it's right, and we have a house etc. but mymates all think i'm stupid and too young. What do you think?
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    Thanks. Also, i'd like ur opinions. I'm 18 n my boyfriend 24, we've been talking and thinkin alot about havin a baby as we think it's right, and we have a house etc. but mymates all think i'm stupid and too young. What do you think?
    The fact that you are asking a bunch of people on the internet who you don't even know about this one would suggest to me that you aren't sure about it yourself and therefore you are probably not ready!

(Not a comment related to your age, I would reply the same if a 30 year old was asking on here).

Good luck with whatever you two decide is right for you though :)
  • Options
    you cant ask us to decide whether or not you should have a child based on your ages and that you have a house. having a child or not should be based on much more than that

I'm 19 and wouldnt consider having a child now... altho i know that even though i love my boyfriend, i'm not at a time in my lifewhere i could offer the child the right amount of support/commitment/time/love that the child deserves... whereas my friend has a 2 year old boy, and they are the happiest littel family and they wouldn't change it for the world... different strokes for different folks.
    Yeah maybe i'm not getting my point across well, but i tried lol
  • Options
    They say 3 months, but if you want to start trying, then just try. They just mean dont get your hopes up as it could take up to that amount of time for the contraceptive to be out of your system.
    Most couples not using any contraception at all will fall pregnant within a year. Dont get your hopes up and think because it says 3 months, that you will fall pregnant in 3 months time. It could happen quicker, or it could take a lot longer.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    Its up to you, not your mates.
    If you both feel ready then its your call.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:

How long have you been together?
    If i knew what i do now i would have waited. Me and Chris got pregnant when i was 23 i think, we had only been together about 1 & 1/2 years.
    Things people don't tell you about having a baby...

Ok this doesn't happen to every woman but is a high possiblity..

Things head south no matter how much you try to stop it. In other words your body is never the same. Lots of women get lots of stretch marks...
    Thats just what happens physically.
    Looking after a newborn baby is VERY tough. You can NEVER imagine how hard it is getting up EVERY TWO HOURS day and night feeding a baby etc. I thought i would be ok as i never slept very well at all but boy was i wrong, its soooo hard, especially if you end up having a c-section too.

Probably sounds like i am trying to put you off, i'm not but it's things i wish people told me before i decided to get pregnant, not saying i wouldn't have anyway, i don't know but i would have at least been a little prepared.

Just a few things to think about.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong i love my son soooo much but if it knew what i know now then, i would have waited a few more years i think and made the most of my body. Then some people aren't so unlucky.
  • Options
    we think we r ready, and we've been really excited too but it's just everyone around is being so negative, trying to put us off saying its stupid and we're not mature enough. but as u said it's only a decision we can make. just hurts abit knowing that all my mates think i'm an idiot for even thinking it n that i wouldnt be able to cope. me n my bf both have alot of family who could support us if need be, we both absolutely adore children and each other more than anything. We want to spend our lives together and have a family.
  • Options
    yeah it does fuck your body up a bit, but i dont think thats any easier to deal with at 25 than it would be at 18 tbh.
    I personally wouldnt have been ready that young, but a lot of people that age do have kids and are fab parents, and a lot of people do it later and are shit parents. I think age has little to do with it - if you feel ready you feel ready and are in a loving long term relationship.
    One word of warning though. It sounds really lovely and romantic, creating a child together, and it IS lovely and romantic, but its also fucking hard work, tedious, thankless and it can be really hard on a relationship sometimes if you find you werent ready. having your first child is ALWAYS gonna be a big decision. You just dont know what to expect.
    It definitely needs thinking about. What about your education/job prospects?
    Why do your friends say you wouldnt cope?
  • Options
    my friends assume i wudnt cope because we're the same age and they know they wouldn't want the responsibility. thing that prolly dusnt help is that my mates are mainly guys. they are pretty immature still, like gettin banned from clubs for creatin arguments or tryin to start fights. i don't see the point, we're buyin a house at the mo, we've lived away from home and together for 6 months and it couldn't be any more perfect. i won't say we don't argue cus we do, but when we do it only lasts about 30 seconds before i think to myself life is too short to be in a mood with him. We adore each other so much and we truly think we would make great parents, we're loving and we're both in work. he's full time and me currently part time, until i can get some more hours. So i guess we can afford it, and as i said we have plenty of people to support us along the way.

i have a m8 whos 23, she has 2 kids and the eldest 7. she coped and the kids are well behaved, nice kids. we don't expect it to be easy, my bro had a kid at 17 with his girlfriend but they've managed it too. So you're right, age doesn't matter. It's the person's behaviour and attitude i guess. along with financial, financial prospects are always helpful. don't think much of that made sense to be honest.
  • Options
    People's bodies work differently with the pill, some people fall a month after coming off it, others it takes a while.

As for the age thing, it doesnt matter, aslong as you've got people there to support you and you're financially ok. I
    fell pregnant with my little boy at 16, that was whilst on the pill lol :)
  • Options
    Thanks, we've decided as soon as the mortgage as gone through (so we have stability) we will start to try for a baby :) So excited.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    Thanks, we've decided as soon as the mortgage as gone through (so we have stability) we will start to try for a baby :) So excited.

Well hope all goes well for you :)
  • Options
    Good luck.