Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going to University with the other half

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I haven't really thought about it till now, but every ad i look at for accommodation is only looking for 1 person. students. Me and my boyfriend are planning on moving to ealing when I start uni in september but because he's not a student himself does that make a difference? should it? and has anyone been to uni while living with their partner who could give us some advice?

thanks for reading,
xAx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissy will be able to help I think. She's doing a PGCE (I think) and lives with her partner. :thumb:
  • Options
    It will make a difference in that as I understand it, if you are living with a non-student, you will have to pay 75% of the usual full amount of council tax that non-students pay. If you are living exclusively with other students, you don't have to pay council tax. Therefore most student houses etc. probably won't want you living there, and most halls don't allow non-students to live there.

The majority of student houses at student prices will accommodate more than two people and would expect people to have single rooms on their own, so won't really be suitable for you. I think if you want to live together you may just have to rent a normal flat or something, not through the university accommodation service.

Not sure about your uni etc. though so it is worth contacting the accommodation office to find out what advice they have for you.
  • Options
    Ealing is really nice, but dont expect to get a small place for the two of you under £800 a month.

You're not going to TVU are you?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    littlemissy will be able to help I think. She's doing a PGCE (I think) and lives with her partner. :thumb:

I am at uni and I have a husband. He works full time and supports me. It's a bit different as we have bought our own house.

The only way it makes a difference if you are a student or not is when it comes down to council tax. You will be exempt but your partner won't be.

It shouldn't make too much difference.
  • Options
    ask at the university accomodation office for information on accomodation in the area for couples - they should be able to both advise you and help you out.
  • Options
    yeah i am going to TVU, can't wait it all looks so good! are you? thanks for the advice for calling up the sutdent accommodation guys, i'll be doing that soon! didn't realise about the council tax thing either. there's more to this jazz then i thought!
  • Options
    *sugar* wrote:
    yeah i am going to TVU, can't wait it all looks so good! are you? thanks for the advice for calling up the sutdent accommodation guys, i'll be doing that soon! didn't realise about the council tax thing either. there's more to this jazz then i thought!

Hmmm, I knew people who went there quite a few years ago now, but to my knowledge it hasnt changed much.

There is no university accomodation, so in terms of campus life, there isn't much.
  • Options
    *sugar* wrote:

I wouldnt expect too much help from the uni finding accomadation, they used to be crap according to the mates who went there. You're best going to letting places or looking in the paper for a flat/house share.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    speak to the universities student union who should be able to put you in touch with some student letting agencies that deal in private accommodation...good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    some student letting agencies only let to students though- with our house well all had to show the landlord something to prove we were at uni.