Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The ultimate feck up! you will be shocked!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, at the moment I’m taking my gap year. I've just come back from travelling around Thailand for 2 months and I’m planning to go to India in late July. Anyway, let me tell you why I’m here...its bad :yuck:

p.s soz for the long post, but you won’t believe it...

So, I was doing my final A-level exams last year, and I was down to my last set of exams, it was English language & literature, i was predicted a B for English. However something went wrong :( .
I finished the exam and it all went well, I was very confident. I sat tired after 5 hours of exams and the lady came round collecting the papers in. She picked up my paper and moved on. Then after all was taken in, I collected my various texts and sheets together and left the exam hall. It was over!
When I got home I unpacked my bag to get my stuff out and I was horrified of what I saw......it was my answer paper :eek2: ...the one I’d written my entire exam in. My entire world turned upside down, the examiners took the wrong papers in and I in my stupidity didn’t realise :crying: .
Anyway, what followed was that my firm and insurance choices didn’t take me (obviously), and I went into clearing and was generally unaccepted. My head of year, was afraid that the school would lose its reputation (its a very good school) and basically didn’t help me (Its not his fault though, the powers that be told him to back off).
So anyway, i was forced to take a Gap-year and re-take my English exam in the summer (this June coming in fact). But you know what? Its the best thing that happened to me, well in some ways anyway. I got to experience full-time work to raise money for travelling and then I went to Thailand with a friend, who was also taking a year out, and it was AMAZING. I've seen and experienced so much, ive grown as person and I feel that when I go to uni I will be much more mature and wiser.
So here I am, back from Thailand and ready to hit the world, this time its India I think! :) I strongly suggest to people that you take a gap year, it'll strengthen your CV and give you some amazing experiences and memories.
My two cents
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That is an actually good story! Score!

I think it's awesome how stuff like that can turn out. Not that I'd recommend it to anyone, mind you :p

I just wish I even had the money to gapyear it...
    I'm terrified of that happening to me by accident (the exam papers thing). It is just really scary the thought of it. I started thinking about this before I read that and now you've made me even more scared!
    I decided not to go to university straight after college, for personal reasons. I think that having a gap between the two is a good thing. Whether it's simply to make some money or to go travelling, (or even both) I think more people should do it.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm terrified of that happening to me by accident (the exam papers thing). It is just really scary the thought of it. I started thinking about this before I read that and now you've made me even more scared!

Be careful, it can happen, i'm living proof!
    I decided not to go to university straight after college, for personal reasons. I think that having a gap between the two is a good thing. Whether it's simply to make some money or to go travelling, (or even both) I think more people should do it.

Yeah, I agree. I didnt even consider a gapyear, I just sent of my ucas stuff and thought thats how you do things, a gap year is somthing other people do, not me. I know alot of people think like this, everyone should consider a gap, its the best thing you could do, dont be one of those people that will be saying in 30 years, I wish I did that.
    I'd love to go travelling for a bit after college (not that I'm planning on going to Uni... or that I'd go for a year or anything longer than a month or two)

But I love the idea of it. Shame the fact that I earn approximately £170 a month, and get to keep approxiamtely £1.70 of it means it's a distant dream :)
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I'd love to go travelling for a bit after college (not that I'm planning on going to Uni... or that I'd go for a year or anything longer than a month or two)

But I love the idea of it. Shame the fact that I earn approximately £170 a month, and get to keep approxiamtely £1.70 of it means it's a distant dream :)

Its so easy,
    I was earning £185 a week basic at a soap factory and upto £260 with overtime. Within a a couple of months you can have thouands.
    And then, a sample budget for Thailand is £8-15 a day or india £5-£10 a day, that'll get you decent air con rooms, several good meals a day, beer, transport, souvainers etc. You could go to india for 3 months for £900 and then your flight would be bout £300.
    Its so easy and cheap, the pound is very strong and goes so far, you wouldnt believe it. People just dont realise how easy it is!
    I was actually considering taking a year out to visit Australia and work with the aboriginise.
    Cool story :thumb:

I'm thinking of going travelling after uni. Not sure though.
    Did they not bother to check what you handed in and what you hadn't handed in?
    How did you walk out of the exam hall with sheets of paper? At my school you came in with nothing but a pen and left with nothing but a pen
    Its an English exam and you have a booklet of paper to write in and a booklet of set texts to write about, they took in the set text and didnt check, and I went out with the answer booklet :yeees:, but your supposed to go out with the set texts, they dont collect them in. To be honest though, after 5 hours, I was tired and just wanted to leave, so I didnt notice.
    Take in notes with you? I don't think so. Even so, we weren't allowed to take in anything or leave with anything. Even if it was open text, we weren't allowed our own copies.
    At my school, the answer book was taken from you but you were allowed to keep the paper and the rough working book as well. You did your rough working/drafting in the same kind of book that you answered, so I could easily see someone getting mixed up.

ETA: And we were allowed to take notes in for History exams.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Take in notes with you? I don't think so. Even so, we weren't allowed to take in anything or leave with anything. Even if it was open text, we weren't allowed our own copies.

You get a booklet of texts a week before the exam to study and annotate and then you are given some more unseen texts in the exam. You leave the exam room with the texts you brought in with you, i'm not sure if you take out the unseens, cant remember.
    By the way I still got an E, even though my final synoptic didnt count, although I'll be retaking it next month (havent started studying yet!) and I doubt i'll get my B, its been a while, so it'll be hard to remember stuff, but hey, i'm aiming for C :thumb:

If anyone is thinking of or conisdering a gapyear, check out this site:

www.gapyear.com

Its got loads and loads of info, forums and country guides, its brilliant, helped me more than anything.
    I was actually considering taking a year out to visit Australia and work with the aboriginise.

Work with them? When I've been out there they generally don't work. They sit on their arses, smoke weed and talk jibberish.
    it'll strengthen your CV

I highly doubt that given the amount of people who take one these days.
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    :eek:

My word, that's the stuff of nightmares. Have just read your post aloud to TheSite team and we are all in agreement that it's a brilliant story. So glad everything seems to have worked out super for you :D
    I'm only at uni for the banter. I didn't have any other option. I'd be bored as hell in a stupid crapass job, so I figured I'd so something I'd enjoy while I was earning.
    I'm far from rich enough to go travelling anywhere. That's for after uni.
    Kimono wrote:
    :eek:

My word, that's the stuff of nightmares. Have just read your post aloud to TheSite team and we are all in agreement that it's a brilliant story. So glad everything seems to have worked out super for you :D

Thx, at the time it seemed that the world had turned upside down, especially cuz all my friends were off to uni and everyone was celebrating :no: but I suppose it shows that no matter how bad it may be, you can always turn it around (well most of the time;) )
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I'm only at uni for the banter. I didn't have any other option. I'd be bored as hell in a stupid crapass job, so I figured I'd so something I'd enjoy while I was earning.
    I'm far from rich enough to go travelling anywhere. That's for after uni.

That's a pathetic reason to be at uni, sorry but I don't understand why you'd want to spend 3/4 years there just because you 'have no other option'. There are other options though...
    Sofie wrote:
    That's a pathetic reason to be at uni, sorry but I don't understand why you'd want to spend 3/4 years there just because you 'have no other option'. There are other options though...

Not to mention the debt...
    Not to mention the debt...

I forgot that. And many students will live in strange cities as well.
    I was going to take a gap year. My mum and my brother talked me out of it though. With any luck I'll fuck my exams up and will have a good excuse :)
    I was going to take a gap year. My mum and my brother talked me out of it though. With any luck I'll fuck my exams up and will have a good excuse :)

Why did they talk you out of it?
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Don't mind me, I'm just posting some links here about gap years and volunteering overseas :)
    Sofie wrote:

Sorry but maybe you don't understand. And apparently you don't. You don't know what my life and situation is like, so you can't say.

Tell me what my options are, cause I could see none.

And also... I have thought about the debt, and I have thought several times about leaving because I'm really struggling with money. Again... what are my options? I'd really like to know.
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Sorry but maybe you don't understand. And apparently you don't. You don't know what my life and situation is like, so you can't say.

Tell me what my options are, cause I could see none.

And also... I have thought about the debt, and I have thought several times about leaving because I'm really struggling with money. Again... what are my options? I'd really like to know.

if thats the case, from what you are saying, then you will be in exactly the same situation when you finish your uni course
    Sofie wrote:

She said she went for the banter, I take that to mean she went for the experience of going to uni and all of the things that entails, which is a bloody good reason I think. You are only young and free of responsibilities once after all.

I can't understand why people are bitching because someone decided to go into higher education for the experience. :confused:
    She said she went for the banter, I take that to mean she went for the experience of going to uni and all of the things that entails, which is a bloody good reason I think. You are only young and free of responsibilities once after all.

I can't understand why people are bitching because someone decided to go into higher education for the experience. :confused:

because primarily, she said she had no other option

sounds like the age old dread of fufilling the expectations others have of you
    MrG wrote:
    because primarily, she said she had no other option

sounds like the age old dread of fufilling the expectations others have of you

Just like the OP said he had no other option but to take a gap year...