Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Career loan from banks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So we need them for our masters apparently...

Has anybody taken them out?

Are they the only source of funding?

How do you go about paying them back?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i think that most uni's give funding to a certain number of students each year or something like that erm im sure i got an email about if off my uni so il have a look if i still have it.

also i know that you can get sponserdhip from private companies but i have no idea how you would go about getting that
  • Options
    the email doesnt say much really other than to contact someone for more info

all thats relevent is
    Applicants need to have a good honours degree in the Chemical or Biological Sciences. We have 19 ESF (European Social Fund) grants for September 2006 with a further 11 grants for January 2007. These grants pay the Universities Course fees and pay an attendance/maintance grant of about £80 per week. Applicants need to have a first class or second class honours degree.

sorry i cant be of more help but you could always contact the uni your interested in about any funding available
  • Options
    Here's some info about Career Development Loans.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/CareerDevelopmentLoans/fs/en

You can apply for them as long as you course is broadly vocational (I got mine for my masters in Public Policy so 'vocational' is a flexible term). They cover 80% of the course fees plus living costs, if studying full time, up to a total of £8k. I think they're at commercial rates, but you don't start paying them off until about a month or two after the end of the course. I borrowed £8000 and am now paying £181.10 per month for 60 months.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i think there are only a few banks which offer them too.
  • Options
    As has been said it depends what you do and where you do it. If you do Medical Physics MSc at King's College London you can get paid £22,000 pa for two years :yes: