Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Woohoo!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done.
    Try speaking to your employer?
    \
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Wooo go Ellie :p

No more Xmas Bank Holidays :p
    it's better if you can negotiate a smaller notice period, but some employers are nobby, and stick to it.

if you are totally, totally stuck, the morally wrong but possibly excusable given the circumstances thing to do would be to hand in your notice asap, work a week, and then go on the sick for the rest of your notice period. it's fairly easy to get a few weeks off for stress or depression these days.

or you could just walk out. what can they do? fire you?
    congratulations :)

nobody works their notice anyway do they?
    Congrats :thumb:
    Congratulations!

I have previously walked out on jobs when I couldn't stick them any longer - but only when I definitely had another job to go to.

As long as your job offer is not based on good references from your previous employers, then just give them a weeks notice and stick to it.

Good luck!
    I don't think I would recommend going sick, as the previous company would pay you for sick time and the new company would be paying you a wage, and I think there's something somewhere that says you can't do that.

I might be wrong.

I would just tell them you can give them one weeks notice and stick to it.
    Eek hope it works out :) sounds fabby the new job :thumb:
    I don't think I would recommend going sick, as the previous company would pay you for sick time and the new company would be paying you a wage, and I think there's something somewhere that says you can't do that.

it would only be like having a second job, and being able to do one but not another. I know someone who's been on sick leave from their main job because it was so physical, at the same time as being able to carry on with their less demanding weekend job.

i would think you wouldn't be entitled to anything like statutory sick pay, but then that'd be fair enough, cause you aren't really sick and have another job anyway.

it's not the greatest of things to do, but then when needs must...

another thing you could do is as them if you could take some of your notice period as unpaid leave, if you don't have enough holiday.
    Yeah, unpaid leave is a good plan.

It's just when I worked for the bank, there was a lady there that started full time work for us when she was still on sick leave from another full time job. Suddenly, she disappeared - I think it had something to do with her having both full time jobs, if you get me. I can't remember exactly what happened now.
    congratulations! :thumb:
    Many congratulations GWST.

I would offer to pull a few strings for you but I don't have much clout in the NHS just yet. :D
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fantastic news - well done!
    Well done :D
    I bet this will be better than the other job anyway. ;)

Can't help with the notice thing as I've only had one job and I'm still in it, sorry.
    Sumit your letter, explian the situation and if you dont have enough holiday to cover it ask to have the rest of the notice period as unpaid leave, most employers shouldn't have a problem with this. And ask in your letter, or your boss tomorrow what you backpay entitlement is, seeing as my mum had to wait about a year for hers.
    Congratulations on the new job!

Have you managed to sort out your notice period and all that? Personally i would just explain the situation, that the new start date is non-negotiable so you are leaving by then, it's not like they can really do anything like give you a bad reference if you have already been offered the new job.