Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Best University Student Experience

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm considering perhaps doing a Masters Full time in September

not sure which course yet. But I did business at degree, but I want to do something quite specific for a masters.

But as well as a good course - I'm very much looking for the complete university student experience.

The place I did my degree at was at a brand new campus that had only been opened about 1 year when I got there and the town didn't have any kind of student scene and the people running the campus didn't have a clue at what they were doing.

Also important is I want to do it far away from London and see a totally different side to life

I almost did a master near where ilive BUT when I spoke to the new tutor of the course all the answers to my questions were "I don't know" so I figured he'd know less about the subject then I did.

Also I found out the course although being classed as fulltime was 1 solid week of lectures 9am to 5pm - for 5 days in a row and then 3 weeks of working on your own and with classmates but in your own time.

That didn't seem much like a fulltime degree to me.

So what uni's have the best overall students experience, i.e.

Nice campus,
good accomodation,
nice people,
international crowd.
teachers that haven't spent their entire lives in education and have been in the real world
good student life, etc
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Loughborough is awesome for all of those.
  • Options
    most things that i have read about masters have said that they have a lot of independant study / self teaching. i doubt you will find any that are 9 - 5 monday - friday.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i think its the independent or the guardian who each year print a booklet on every university and how they score in terms of education, campus, nightlife etc. its definitely worth a look and it helped me to pick my university.

i would receommend leeds or manchester but i'm biased :D

eta: i found the site i was talkign about from the guardian.. here are links to leeds and manchester:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/universityguide/profile/story/0,,486119,00.html
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/universityguide/profile/story/0,,489372,00.html
  • Options
    That didn't seem much like a fulltime degree to me.

A masters isnt a 9-5 course ever, I think you might have the wrong idea about what you're getting in to.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i know which university i would say has perhaps the worst student experience...

as for masters degrees, the number of hours commitment you have to make depends totally on the course and the university - but don't make the mistake of thinking it will be more or less the same as a bachelors degree. a masters degree is very hard work! :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i know which university i would say has perhaps the worst student experience...

If you're refering to Staffordshire (noticed your location ;) ) then I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

I've never been to Uni, and never plan to, but I know my mates find Nottingham quite good for all the social life etc. Worcester (god knows if I've spelt that right, it took 8 attempts) is meant to be OK as well.
  • Options
    I found Swansea very good all round...and it does seem to rate highly on the polls (i think!) Costs of living are quite low as well :thumb:
  • Options
    Manchester. It's cheap, they're loads to do, the accom is in the middle of the city, they're like 5 differents uni so 9485672938476598 students. I am biased but I came to Manchester with no prior background//knowledge and I didnt even wanna be here but now I love it.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    If you're refering to Staffordshire (noticed your location ;) ) then I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

:lol: ... i think we all know where i'm talking about...
    but i didn't want to name names... :p
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    most things that i have read about masters have said that they have a lot of independant study / self teaching. i doubt you will find any that are 9 - 5 monday - friday.

For Sure - even my degree wasn't 9 to 5 and mon to friday.. And I wouldn't want it to be like that

But I just didn't like the idea of for 1 week (9am to 5pm) solid for 5 whole days and then no classes whatsoever for 3 whole weeks.

That would seem to me to be more like a part time course.
  • Options
    But such a large part of a masters is personal research anyway that I imagine it could be quite an effective way of structuring it as the three solid weeks in a row for personal study would come in really handy.

But I can understand your reservations, especially in terms of the social side of such a course as I could see the three weeks of personal study as poentially very isolatingif you are alone in the library the whole time.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    But such a large part of a masters is personal research anyway that I imagine it could be quite an effective way of structuring it as the three solid weeks in a row for personal study would come in really handy.

But I can understand your reservations, especially in terms of the social side of such a course as I could see the three weeks of personal study as poentially very isolatingif you are alone in the library the whole time.

Yeah exactly my thinking - 1 week on - 3 weeks off - just seems to unblalanced to me

Anyway seen somethign that is totally up my street at Uni of Glamorgan and it fits in well with what I'm currently doing and interested in doing in the future

Anyone ever been to that uni or know the area?
  • Options
    what is it your looking to do if you don't mind sayin? i don't know anyone over there, the times uni guide is gd
  • Options
    what is it your looking to do if you don't mind sayin? i don't know anyone over there, the times uni guide is gd

This is the course I'm interested in

http://tinyurl.com/qyvxw

Other Uni's do related courses but non of them are so hands on

I've never even been to Wales.. I assume the courses are taught in English?

I'm only wondering cos on their open day form it says do you want to hear a presentation in Engish or Welsh .. :chin: