Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I had a panic attack in my exam and my mind went blank...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This happened to me in my exam today.

Despite the fact I had learnt everything, when I got in there, my mind went blank and I ended up having a panic attack and having to leave.

Would it even be worth telling my lecturer? Would they even be very sympathetic? Would it just look like I hadn't revised?

I can only get 40% in a resit and that sucks. I want to be able to do better. I'm capable of better.

I'm just really annoyed at myself now :banghead:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would have thought having a panic attack constitutes extenuating circumstances, and it's always worth telling your head of year/dept. about anything that has had an effect on your exam performance :yes:

it may even be worth talking to your GP about it, so you'd have some backup should it come down to the lecturers refuting your claim
    Yeah. I'm going to book an appointment for the doctors. I don't like the big exam halls we get put in. I don't know what it is but they make me feel really bad and gahhhhh. If you have a doctors note, you can get put in a small room with other people.

To be honest, today has really freaked me out. I haven't had a panic attack like that in a long time.

I just feel a bit gah about it. I'm capable of doing well. I revised for the exam. I knew my stuff but my mind just went completely blank.

I want to do better than getting 40% in the summer.
    id have a word with your head of department / year or whoever is responsible for this type of thing.

at the moment your going to get 40% and even if they dont give you extenuationg circumstances you havnt lost anything.

have you thaught about meditation techniques or something like that? i havnt done it myself but know a few people that find it very useful in exam situations
    melanie wrote:
    at the moment your going to get 40% and even if they dont give you extenuationg circumstances you havnt lost anything.

:no: I won't have got 40%. I barely wrote a thing. I completely freaked out.
    nope i ment that at the moment the best you can do is 40% on the resit, even if they dont give you extenuating circumstances you can still get 40% in the resit, so where is the harm in trying?
    Ahhhhh. That is true.

Its quite a big module though. Its going to bring my average right down.
    Yes you MUST tell your tutors about your panic attacks or you are tieing their hands as well to help you.

Maybe having you sit your exams alone in a a small room might help.

I used to hate that fact women teachers would be wearing high heels in the exams and walking about ont he hard floors you'd just hear "tap .. tap .. tap"

Would really get on my nerves in the exam
    Panic attacks are horrible. Seriously let your tutor know and they should let you sit in a smaller room to do them. Thats what happened to me.
    I got to do an exam in the doctor's surgery when I was ill. Big comfy chairs, water to drink, much nicer than the big halls. Worth a try.
    I used to hate that fact women teachers would be wearing high heels in the exams and walking about ont he hard floors you'd just hear "tap .. tap .. tap"
    Our teachers would bring their slippers in to avoid this. They were nice like that.