Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Applying foundation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I'm crap at applying make up. I love the natural look but I can't achieve it. I need some advice on how to apply foundation.. oh, and maybe recommend a good foundation/blusher? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    I just use covergirl clean cuz it just covers up any imperfections but doesn't wash me out or cover up the skin, its almost just like a translucent.

I've always had the best luck with just using a wedge sponge, no trick, just using that. Dot on the cheeks, forehead and chin. Use a clean end of the sponge around the hairline/eyebrows/jaw so you don't end up wearing a mask.

As for blush, I make the fish face and apply lightly around the bone in a very slight curve. And use physicians forumla's blush beads. Its really no color at all, just a very very light pink to bring out kind of the glowing look.
  • Options
    I hate looking like i'm wearing makeup too - been playing with it for a while now and i think i have it down.

A warm face always takes foundation better than cold skin, so wash your face with some warm water first. It's also actually quite good to leave the skin a little bit damp, as when the water evaporates after you've applied foundation, it'll take excess makeup with it, leaving you looking dewy and natural, rather than cakey. Otherwise apply the foundation with slightly damp fingers; has the same effect.

I find it's better to mix the foundation with a little moisturiser because it makes it thinner, but if you need good coverage it's not the best idea.

Apply it only where you need it; a lot of people smear it all over their faces but it's really not necessary - foundation is there to create an even base and skintone, so apply it with your fingertips by patting it onto the skin wherever the colour's not naturally even. It might take longer but it is better to pat it on than rub it in; essentially foundation is there to cover your face, not to do anything to your skin, so rubbing it in is kind of pointless and rubs it around your face rather than building up a colour. Use a little bit, and then build it up as and where you need it. Often a good idea to do it, then leave your face bare of other makeup for 5 minutes or so and then go back and check it in natural light - somehow I always find there's a bit i've missed or could remove if i leave it and then look at it once it's settled.
  • Options
    try maybellines mousse one, it looks really natural because of the texture.
  • Options
    Always always always moisturise BEFORE using foundation and ALWAYS leave a minimum of 10 minutes before applying foundation.

When applying foundation, you can use a sponge, your fingers or a brush - I personally use my fingers as the warmth helps to manipulate the liquid, it's also easier to direct the foundation into the cracks n crevises. (if you have any!)
    A foundation brush gives a more 'airbrushed' finish and using your fingers gives a more natural finish.

Never rub foundation in, always blend - a sweeping motion, not rubbing.

Always set foundation with a powder - it'll last hours longer.

I wear Mac foundation and use Benefit blusher - I'd recommend them both!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Katralla's instructions for applying foundation:

Put down the bottle.

Step away from the mirror

Go forth and enjoy yourself, unpainted.
  • Options
    IT depends on how much you want to send, I sometimes wear Maybielle Everfresh but if i have the money I will wear kanebo because if feels so fresh on your skin
  • Options
    I read something about not using sponges the other day, because they soak up more foundation than its worth.
    Personally, I put on my coverstick, then put on my foundation in blobs, letting it set a little on places that need more coverage, and then rub it in. Then I set it with powder on a brush. I don't use those slim powder puffs cause they seem to remove foundation.
  • Options
    Like wallpaper paste.

Not really.

Just blend with clean fingers
  • Options
    I usually do my make up in the car so I can't use my fingers as I can't wash them after :p
  • Options
    it should look natural already if you get one that matches your skin tone!
  • Options
    I find it's better to mix the foundation with a little moisturiser because it makes it thinner, but if you need good coverage it's not the best idea.
    :yes: That's what I was going to suggest!

Also if you don't need that much coverage you can use tinted moisturiser instead of foundation as it's much lighter.
  • Options
    I much prefer a tinted moisturiser