Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Really Bad E Trip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When i used to do pils, i would stay in with a couple of friends and do them in my own flat, where everything would be arranged.. For example id have a strobe light, music sytem, kitchen (for water) and the bathroom. Sometimes i would prefer to do this than go into a club!

Anyway, me and a mate had around 5 pils, and with the strobe light i had, there was a nob to adjust the speed of the flickering light. Anyway, i adjusted it really fast, and for some reason it put me into a sort of spasm, or epelectic fit! I was flinching at the same beat as the light, and i stared at a wall and started hulucinating! through the wall i could see a garden or something, but for some strange reason it felt nice to turn up the strobe a wee bit faster and start tripping and having a fit.

Has anyone else experienced this? :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    The thing is, looking back to it, its really scaring, and it did freak me out, but in a way i enjoyed it..
  • Options
    Yes I tripped out on E's before, coming down I decided to smoke a lot of blow. Thought I was in a forest, my friend turned into an elf. It was fucked up.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or shall i stay off the drugs for good now? LOL

I miss doing pils so much, but just couldnt hack the come downs and spots and attitude problems.

Although its gonna be in my memories for life, PILS ROCK!
  • Options
    If you're having those kind of spasms I would seriously consider going to see a GP.

Tripping is normal but not spasms. I'm good friends with a girl who this started to happen to, and it became more common, usually coming on when she was using drugs.

I was really worried about her and told her to go to the doctor. She went and is getting scans etc at the moment thankfully.
  • Options
    Strobes are known for inducing epileptic fits in susceptible people.
  • Options
    Bright light + bicycle wheel + cardboard = cheap strobe light :D
  • Options
    I've had a bad reaction, the last couple times, so I'm done with E. And as I've said in another thread, speed is becoming impractical to buy where I live, so that's pretty much over too...

...-am I eliminating drugs one by one, slowly becoming an anti-drug bigot who will be oppsed to any sunstance leading to an altered state of mind?!?!

-hopefully not,...-but it's possible!! :eek2:
  • Options
    Bright light + bicycle wheel + cardboard = cheap strobe light :D

McGyver night out :D :thumb:
  • Options
    When I'm pilled up or on speed strobes make me shake and I nearly go blind.
    VERY SCARY and pretty dangerous, there seems to be a big decrease in them at the raves I go to now, because of the amount of people collapsing and having seizures etc.
  • Options
    I would like to find out if there is some corrolation between brain activity stimulated by E and other amphetamine like drugs and seizures.

The apeture of the pupil is greatly and artificially enlarged when on 'phet family substances, I wonder if there is any greater danger in terms of greater stress and shock being placed on the optic nerve.
  • Options
    I once went to a disco in France (yes, a disco!) where they put on the strobes for about 15 minutes without a break. I felt a bit sick!
  • Options
    Ok I'm about to answer my own question here, having done a bit of pop research and consulted a few medic types.

When you are on E/Speed/Meth or any drugs which artificially enlarge the pupil, your pupil dos not constrict in response to light in the way in which it normally would.

Epilepsy and seizures are abnormal neuron firings in the brain, for want of a better term an electrical storm in the brain. It can be triggered by rapid stimulation of the optic nerve (say, from a Strobe light), and when the strobe goes off your pupil would normally constrict rapidly to compensate. Think about when you get a torch in the eyes in the dark, your night vision goes because your pupil rapidly constricts to compensate for the sudden stimulation.

When you are on any of the drugs we've mentioned, your pupil is in effect artificially being held open so it doesnt respond as well or as quickly, meaning you are at greater risk of seizure or other adverse effects.

Oh and I should add that everyone is capable of having a seizure, but certain people are more susceptable than others.

Ok...part 2 :D

if one of your mates goes down with a seizure, it will be random firing of neurons in the brain, which means movements and muscle contractions can be extremely random, and fucking strong so watch out.

Some quick does and don'ts:

*DONT stick a spoon or anything else in their mouth, that an old wives tale and complete bollocks. You could choke them or lose your fingers very easily.
    *DONT hold them down, even if they are thrashing around. Muscle contractions that occur in seizures are very strong, so if you hold them down you could hurt yourself, but also you are putting resistance up against an abnormally stong muscle movement and they could tear or injure things very easily.

*DO PROTECT THE HEAD! If they are banging it around, dont hold it down but try and gt some padding around it, take off your shirt or coat, UV vest whatever just something to give the head some protection. Remember though try not to restrain.
    *DO give them space, collect personal belongings and wait for it to stop but DONT LET ANYONE pick them up or try to move them until it stops UNLESS you have reason to believe that their airway is blocked or that their heart is in danger.

A seizure takes loads of energy out of people, so they will probably feel like they've gone 10 rounds with Tyson. They'll need lots of rest and most likely will want to sleep. Rest and gentley getting isotonic drinks or water into them is the best way to go.

Sorry bit of a lengthy post, hope its useful :D
  • Options
    Excellent post martin. :thumb: I have to say that in my experience clubs (and in particular the bouncers) can be shocking when dealing with people having seizures/fits. It doesn't really matter what's caused it, whether it's illegal or not, if the person needs help they shouldn't just be chucked out :(

Any idea what kind of level of increase in risk we're talking about by artificially dilating the pupil? I mean, should I be looking away when the strobe fires?!
  • Options
    I cant say for certain, I cant tell from here what propensity you have for this reaction :p

What I can say is that strobes should not be used for more than a few seconds and sparingly. If you start to feel funny from a strobe or its being used to much then get yourself away from it. If thats not a option then avert your eyes, cover them or shut them. If strobe use is excessive you should complain to the venue because it is highly dangerous.

Oh, and while i hasten to add that this is only speculation, consumption of any psychoactivs combined with physical exhertion and all other factors could conceivably produce some abnormal neurological activity, who knows what the dangers are of this in relation to strobe lighting?

What can be stated with reasonable confidence is that you are at greater risk from these effects when on the drugs discussed and should take appropriate action to safeguard yourself.
  • Options
    thanks this has helped
  • Options
    Excellent post martin. :thumb: I have to say that in my experience clubs (and in particular the bouncers) can be shocking when dealing with people having seizures/fits. It doesn't really matter what's caused it, whether it's illegal or not, if the person needs help they shouldn't just be chucked out :(

Yeah I agree... in alot of places they would probably just chuck the person straight out!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah I agree... in alot of places they would probably just chuck the person straight out!
    Yeah it sucks doesn't it! Some places are a bit more user-friendly than others though, just depends whether they employ cocks or not I guess.

I was in the club last night, looking at the strobe light and I was thinking about this thread...was having a good chuckle to myself :D
  • Options
    I sometimes weird trippy things from pills. black outs too.
  • Options
    I sometimes weird trippy things from pills. black outs too.

Now thats worrying, you should really check that out with your GP, as the pills could be inducing something which is latant, but still very much in you. If you are having blackouts on pills please stop taking them, at the very least until you have found out what might be causing this.

Woooooooaaaaah:

lol I am not suggesting that its going to happen to everyone, just suggesting that people should be aware of the possible risks :)
  • Options
    lol I am not suggesting that its going to happen to everyone, just suggesting that people should be aware of the possible risks :)
    Of course! I was laughing because they were only using 2/3 second bursts and I was just pondering to myself what would happen if they put it on for a minute or so...how many of the crowd would drop to the floor :chin: (had some interesting thoughts last night).
  • Options
    used to sit and stare into strobes all night on e's :no: was like a big vortex after a while
  • Options
    I've sat in a room, many moons ago with a strobe on, completely fucked, listening to all 9 minutes of 'Coma' by Guns N Roses....apart from inducing panic attacks in a few people (due to the song, not the strobe) everyone was fine BUT that was probably more luck than anything else, it really does strike without warning (Seizures, that is).
  • Options
    Any idea what the long term damage from seizures can be, if any?
  • Options
    never had a prob with strobe but ...........

as a manager of a small nite club in wales a few years ago we hired a gyroscope around the gyro were 4 strobes . several people were shaking so violently we got worried and decided to quit using it , the peeps worst affected were the peeps who were pilling. after a few mins of rest they all recovered and we reopened it and all the shakers wanted another go so i have to say not all employees of nite clubs are as callaous as some of the previous posters may think. www.diablo1973.50megs.com :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Can't you give a reply without spamming our boards?
  • Options
    E trips

lol tripping on pills is funny shit, but can be freaky.
    I went to this house party with fucking loads of pills.....didn't intend to do too many but I kept forgetting whether I'd taken one or not (lol you know it happens) so I kept popping until I'd done about 15 pills and suddenly this kid at the party that i'd always thought was kinda wierd turned into this marilyn manson look a like mutated freak and then turned into a person made out of cheap gameboy graphics with blood pouring out of his eye...lol was kinda cool though