Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hhd

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well the thing is i was messing with 2 computers the other day because its now spare and the thing is i hooked up the other hard drive into the other computer with the other one so i can have 2 hard drives, Plugged it all in and turned the pc on it then came up with Disk Boot Failed Insert Disk bla bla and i did all this and it could find a hard drive.

I then formated the other one so it was blank and then tryed again the same thing happened.

I Dont know whats wrong i went into Bios and i pressed The Find HHD thing and it came up with the HHD that i had put in.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Did you make sure that the drive that existed before was still set as first to boot from?
  • Options
    Erm.. I dont understand....
  • Options
    I don't think anyone stands a chance of understanding what you're on about, CoolMe. Are you trying to tell us that you're struggling to boot from a freshly formatted disk?

I've had more readily-understandible conversations in my local Chinese takeaway...
  • Options
    Ill break it down abit then.

I have one normal PC
    I open up the casing
    I insert a Blank Hard Drive.
    I Put the case Back On

I Then Turn the PC On and it comes up with

DISK BOOT FAILUER
  • Options
    And what were you expecting to happen? The hard drive to arrive with Vista on it? ;)
  • Options
    If I understood correctly, that computer had one hard drive and now it has two, right?
    After you add a new one, it might consider that one to be the drive it should boot from. But since the new one doesn't have an OS, the computer can't boot from it.
    Have you entered the bios settings, and made sure that the old drive is before the new one in the order of media to boot from?
  • Options
    Is it SATA? If so then I here you should start with 2 clean HD's then make sure one of them connecting to the right port is set as a primary. And then it should promp for drivers, and i'm guessing you havn't done this.
  • Options
    Set the jumpers to slave / master?
  • Options
    Is it an old PC?

You need to check the BIOS first for Boot order and if neccesary change the jumpers...
  • Options
    So your saying i need to format them both so they are both blank and i can install a Fresh OS?

The jumpers are set Because The main ones are Black and the other one is Grey, So im correct in what im doing there.

Bios, i dont think it likes me :grump: I try to set the Maxtor HHD ( The main 1 ) But it detects the other one instead ( samsung )

I then go into the other bios settings more detailed and i can choose Which is the first boot device I should Set it as HHD-0 ?
    But saying that when i do, do that it dont work i think
  • Options
    I'm really confused about what you mean... sorry.

"The main ones are Black and the other one is Grey" - could you articulate this any better? You seem to think you've got one set up as master and the other as slave though, so that's ok. Are they plugged into the IDE cable ok? Or are they SATA?

If it's not detecting the other HDD then that is where the problem is, its either a connection / jumper problem and is unlikely to be a bios setting.
  • Options
    Erm, i dont have a clue what you mean about the SATA But When i take Maxtor out and put the Samsung in it boots fine, and visa vursa so theres no problem with the cables, its down to bios i believe but im stuck there...
  • Options
    If it boots fine with both, then they are both set up as masters arent they? Sata is serial ATA, its a different kind of wire, basically.

GCR8482B_jumper.jpg you've seen these, I take it (sorry if I sound really patronising). Make sure the one you want to be the main one is set to 'master' in the position shown, and the other has the little jumper put in the 'slave' positition as shown. Then they should both show up under the same thing :)
  • Options
    It could also be the cables because you are putting them both in, are you running them off one cable with a kind of splitter on it or on seperate cables?

Are you happy to enter the BIOS and check your boot settings? It's not hard?

I can post up some step by step instructions if you want
  • Options
    That picture you posted ive seen that little bit on the back but ive only connecte the Power one and then long wirey thing, erm yeah they are both connected like splitted.

P.s
    Erm please post the stuff
  • Options
    Erm ive just googled another hard drives and ive got this pic
    installingharddrivefig123zx.jpg

The cables that i have plugged in are the IDE Cable and Power, i didnt have a clue about the Master/Slave selector, What does that cable look like :nervous:

This is what is on the Main one Atm, and when i plug the other one in it looks the same,
    installharddrivecables2cr.jpg
  • Options
    The master/slave selector isn't a cable, just a bunch of pins in pairs. The pins in one pair should be connected to each other with a small thing called a jumper. If two hard drives are on the same IDE cable, then one of them should be set as "master" using that jumper and the other as "slave", according to the picture ShyBoy posted.
  • Options
    The master / slave doesn't have a cable, its called a jumper, a bit of plastic with metal in it to complete a simple circuit. Literally pull it off and put it in the right position.

hard-drive-jumper-settings-overview.gif
  • Options
    So its like a little switch on the Samsung hard drive? and if i make sure its set as slave things Might work?
  • Options
    Thanks shy boy ill give it ago now
  • Options
    If you make sure that the drives as set as a different thing (i.e. not both as master or slave) then the BIOS should recognize both drives. But that's if both of them are on the same cable.
    After the BIOS knows both drives are there, you might still have to set the boot order so that the drive which has the OS is first.
  • Options
    Ive taken off the plugs and ive counted the Pins and theres 8...
  • Options
    Some drives are like this. The 6 pins on the right should be the ones that work like in the picture (check the numbers for sure, if there are numbers around).
  • Options
    Thats the hard drive, With out the plugs in
    p10100036kd.jpg

Now this picture is of one of my power cable, slave wire and the Master one is hiding and this other cable which i dont know whats for...

p10100044mq.jpg
  • Options
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!!!!!!!!

I played around with them plugs, there was a drawing on the back of the had drive with the plugs and slave things and i put them in and it didnt work changed them around again AND IT DID!

OMG! YAY
  • Options
    Congrats! :thumb:
    Welcome to the world of PC hardware... :D
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Now this picture is of one of my power cable, slave wire and the Master one is hiding and this other cable which i dont know whats for...[/IMG]

The read and black wires in the 4-pin plug are for your speaker. They'll attach to the motherboard, generally where the pinouts are for the power switch and LEDs. The two grey cables with 4 wires in each are for your front-mounted USB sockets.

Congratulations on sorting it :).
  • Options
    ^^ Yeh, and make sure you put the plug with the red and black wires on the right way round, or ir won't work. There are usually single pin plugs as well, but the motherboard manual usually explains all this.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!!!!!!!!

I played around with them plugs, there was a drawing on the back of the had drive with the plugs and slave things and i put them in and it didnt work changed them around again AND IT DID!

OMG! YAY

Congratulations!!!