Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Taliban aren't the only ones...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...who display barbaric disregard for the cultural legacy of antiquities. Seems the politicos of a particular town in Spain cared more a new car park than for one of the greatest archeological finds in Europe for decades, if not in modern history.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2157887,00.html

Wonder if they'll spare it any thought while parking their Jags?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Disgraceful.

Oh well. Never get culture get in the way of 'economic prosperity'.
    I dont like it! I am a great lover of history and i find this very detestable! As detestable as the Taliban or any book burners or what ever comes about!

Rare though it is, i find my self in agreement with you both!
    Maybe Al could write a letter in his native tongue to the visionless mayor of the town in question to express some outrage. I'd be interested to see any feedback you might get, Al.

What gets to me about this is the far greater economic benefit such a fully restored find could have meant for the town well beyond the limited short term value of a parking garage. I cannot even begin to calculate the amount of lost revenue for local businesses which could have accrued from the massive tourist influx.

Pathetic!
    I wonder if those who authorised such act were completely unrelated to the contracting company that was awarded the work? :chin:
    I had the same thought. Perhaps that is what the Mayor meant when he mentioned keeping "his main election pledges".

Maybe you should instead write a nice letter to the national corruption investigation squad. ;)
    there will allways be ill educated people like me around that simply don't care.

thats what your up against!
    Awful. All that history and discovery just so some people can park their cars. Great now we're ruining the planet and its history. :( Its terrible. Ah well if its just the past im sure people wouldnt mind companies building things on top of their families graves...
    Places for cars to park is vital and the income its generates is crucial, fuck the history, just enjoy the feeling on sitting on top of it!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Disgraceful.

Oh well. Never get culture get in the way of 'economic prosperity'.

Welcome to Capitalism.

If it doesn't rake in the money, fuck it, and build something that does. Culture and History won't make you big bucks.

Although... surley people would pay to look round it... ? But then, the preserving and work that would be needed in preparation to let Tourist in would be alot of expense.
    As I said previously, I would argue the tourist revenue would far outstrip the benefits of a car park (in that location) to city center shopkeepers. They could have moved the car park elsewhere and instituted shuttle bus services or creat an entire pedestrian tour zone to the ruins and then to the center. let people get some damn exercise for a change.

The loss to European history is irreparable.
    The loss to European history is irreparable.

:confused:

History cannot be lost.
    It can when its covered over with concrete thus making any attempted excavation forever impossible.

Try thinking beyond mere semantics for a change. My reference is to the history of the sites artifacts and structures now lost to the modern world.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Welcome to Capitalism.

If it doesn't rake in the money, fuck it, and build something that does. Culture and History won't make you big bucks.

Although... surley people would pay to look round it... ? But then, the preserving and work that would be needed in preparation to let Tourist in would be alot of expense.
    well i know where i'd expect more return from and it woulkdn't be a car park!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    well i know where i'd expect more return from and it woulkdn't be a car park!

Yes.... but far less initial outlay from a car park.
    Given modern building standards (especially in Spain) the cost of upkeep for the car park would far exceed that of the Roman site. The likely explosion in tourism revenues would have more than provided for any upkeep that would have been required.
    It can when its covered over with concrete thus making any attempted excavation forever impossible.

No, history can never be lost, it will always be there. What you are talking about is physical structures from our past.
    My reference is to the history of the sites artifacts and structures now lost to the modern world.

Something which has always happened and will always happen, as it should be. Whilst some specimens should be retained for educational purposes, we should not preserve everything. It's called "progress" or evolution if you like...

Besides, space is limited on this planet. Think through what you are suggesting. Retain the roman building and put the car park elsewhere.

Where?

On greenbelt? - What about the environment

How about on a brownfield site? - Fine, until you find another artifact or until you want to build something else there in the future. "No mate, can't put that building there, look there's a 21st Century Car Park."

Seriously, I understand where you are coming from. I live in one of the oldest towns in the UK, with a beautiful Cathedral. Thios town has history - some of the physical structures were bombed out in the war, some have been built over but the history remains...
    No, history can never be lost, it will always be there. What you are talking about is physical structures from our past.

Something which has always happened and will always happen, as it should be. Whilst some specimens should be retained for educational purposes, we should not preserve everything. It's called "progress" or evolution if you like...

ains...
    but we are talking a real gem here by all acc ounts MOK.