Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

England Striker Crisis!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
It had to happen didn't it.... Rooney out for 6 weeks with a fractured big toe..

Owen complained of an ache after his 20+ minute appearance and will be looked at once more.

6 weeks till the first England match as well, so who know what's going to happen!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Raging. Not even an England fan, but if Rooney misses the world cup I'll be so gutted. Totally shite.
    The question is ... Who next ?

It's always possible England could lose another top player of the lieks of Terry of worse still Gerrard. It doesnt look bright for Rooney but it seems like the fans are forgetting about the other English strikers they have to call on. So fair enough, the like sof Defoe aren't as good as Rooney but he is still a very good player, Crouch can add his aerial threat and add what he usually does for Liverpool.

They're not a one man team, Rooney isnt England, they should get over it and look forward to replacements, If Rooney's fit then he'll be called upon.
    If he looks after himself between now and June he should play, but metatarsal breaks are hard to predict.

Remember Beckham had a similar injury before the last World Cup and played while Cashley Cole has been out for much of the season with one.

Minus Rooney and Owen I would say the England attack would be Defoe, Crouch, Bent and Vassell and maybe Joe Cole playing behind them. With the goals and creativity from midfield (Lampard and Gerrard smacking the ball) England should still have a decent chance of getting far but I wouldn't see them winning it (but I don't see them winning it anyway ;) ).
    Well unless Sven only has one plan, we should be okay......oh :confused: :crying:
    Take - Peter Crouch, Darren Bent, Jermaine Defoe and Robbie Fowler (he is a natural finisher and has shown his quality at Liverpool)

Joe Cole could also be used in the Wayne Rooney role just behind one striker.

Knowing Sven he'll take both Owen and Rooney cause he wont know about any other players. Also since Bridge and Cole have been injured alot this season how about taking Cole and Paul Konchesky instead of taking 2 left backs that have hardly played.
    Sven will pick Carragher at left-back if the other two are injured. I reckon he'll pick Rooney and Owen even if they aren't fit, just like he did in the last world cup. If Sven had actually tried some different tactics, rather than just shoe-horning as many different players into his system as he could, then we might have a plan B. But I guess we'll have to put up with a half-fit side, or loads of players playing out of position.
    Bring back Teddy Sheringham!
    Bridge hasn't been injured, he's just been kept out of the Ch£l$ki side by a third-rate spaniard. He's been playing regularly and well for Fulham. Mourniho loves English players, you know.

You'll see Konchesky or Young (probably Young) if Cole isn't fit. You'll see Carragher and Campbell if King and Terry aren't fit. As for strikers, I wouldn't be too concerned, Rooney is a top player but he isn't the only top player. England did pretty well in 2002 without him, after all, and only lost in what was effectively the final. Defoe is hardly shite, Crouch is hardly shite, and nor is Bent or Johnson.
    Ferdinand?

Those strikers are nothing compared to Rooney. If anything, I'd play Gerrard behind the striker (he's done it lots for Liverpool). Then you can introduce Carrick to holding midfield (free Lampard) or if needs must bring Beckham central with Lampard and play SWP right (though he's played fuck all so it's a gamble).
    Addict wrote:
    Ferdinand?

I assumed he'd be playing anyway.
    Those strikers are nothing compared to Rooney.

No, they're not, losing Rooney would be a huge blow but England do have other players who can do a good job.

I wouldn't even take SWP on the plane, to be honest, because of Mr Mourinho. A team full of fucking Spaniards when they've got the best young English talent in the country. Still, it serves SWP right for being a money-grabbing twunt.
    Addict wrote:
    Ferdinand?

Potential liability IMO, but I think he's first choice.

I don't think England's hopes depended on Rooney (or even Owen) but the real danger for England is Sven playing half-fit players and crossing his fingers that it turns out OK.
    Well at least you now have an excuse for failing to win what's rightfully yours...

;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well at least you now have an excuse for failing to win what's rightfully yours...

;)

:lol: Was there really any need for that?

I think without Rooney England have no chance, feel sorry for the lad because he deserves a shot, this would have been the one for him imo.

Don't want to see him rushed back though, we need him as well.
    godscop wrote:
    :lol: Was there really any need for that?

I think without Rooney England have no chance, feel sorry for the lad because he deserves a shot, this would have been the one for him imo.

Don't want to see him rushed back though, we need him as well.

But we can't rely on Rooney all the time though.
    Sofie wrote:
    But we can't rely on Rooney all the time though.

Hes a great player though and its a fact that if hes available hes going to play, when hes not any team would miss him.

Did Argentina rely on Maradona? Without him they would not have won in 86.

Face facts, without Rooney England will struggle.
    It's a shame about Rooney.
    Looking at stats as far as the metatarcel...
    Beckham - out for 9 weeks and when he came back he was nowhere near 100%
    Owen - out for 17 weeks
    Neville - out for 21 weeks

It's unpredictable and it's also about the mental state of the player, and they do have those oxygen chambers, but it's a risk.
    Sven will take Rooney anyway because of the sponsors!!

Owen is fine. I think Sven will take Bent too.

Ashley Cole is supposed to play tonight, he played a couple of reserve games this week and he is fit.
    I agree, Sven will just put Carragher as left back if nothing else.

And my mate seems to think Fowler is a good shout for fourth striker.

Does anyone know about Terry's injury from the other day and what's up?
    If we have Gerrard and Joe Cole playing at their best and our defense is good we have got a great chance!!
    godscop wrote:

That's a bit of a stretch!!
    England are only gonna win if they play as a team.
    And even though Rooney is an important part of the team, there 's a chance for someone else to shine.
    Come on, it ain't the end yet.
    Nugent returned from a similar injury in exactly 6 weeks. But every player is different.
    migpilot wrote:
    That's a bit of a stretch!!
    England are only gonna win if they play as a team.
    And even though Rooney is an important part of the team, there 's a chance for someone else to shine.
    Come on, it ain't the end yet.

Yes you may be right, but England often need great individual performances to win games, and Rooney is one of those people. England often struggle to play effectively as a team, which is frustrating.
    Dunno what the big fuss is, Rooney's been blowing hot and cold all year anyway.

I know this sounds stupid but get Fowler in the fuck, it's been proven that with a bit of decent supply he can produce the goods.
    Rooneys been a good consistant player this season, and it isn't just the goals it's his workload that is second to none.
    godscop wrote:
    Hes a great player though and its a fact that if hes available hes going to play, when hes not any team would miss him.

Did Argentina rely on Maradona? Without him they would not have won in 86.

But didn't Argentina cheat in 1986 with that 'Hand of God' goal?
    I'll agree its not all about Rooney but he is a massive part of Englands chances of winning the World Cup, and saying replacing him with Fowler would be sufficient is just a joke. I like Fowler and he is a proven finisher with the right service but theres plenty of younger, fitter strikers in England who would get my call before him.

Without Rooney but with Owen fit, I'd play 4-5-1 I think. Usual back four of Neville, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole. Midfield of Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard and Joe Cole, with Owen as the lone striker. This system would allow Lampard and Gerrard to both play in there favoured position supporting Owen from just behind and leaving Carrick protecting the back four.
    I'll agree its not all about Rooney but he is a massive part of Englands chances of winning the World Cup, and saying replacing him with Fowler would be sufficient is just a joke. I like Fowler and he is a proven finisher with the right service but theres plenty of younger, fitter strikers in England who would get my call before him.

Damn straight. Rooney is not everything but, man for man, he is the most important player in the team. I don't think anyone can see England conceivable winning the World Cup without Rooney on top form. If Rooney and Gerrard play well, we can beat any team in the world.

Sure Robbie Fowler can do it at Premiership level but does anyone seriously believe he still has what it takes at international, let alone World Cup level? If Rooney is ruled out, maybe look at someone like Shaun Wright-Phillips but to be honest, without Rooney, we don't have a prayer of winning it. Just look at what happened against Portugal in Euro 2004. We were cruising until Rooney came off. Then it all went shit. It's a psychological boost as well as a physical boost of having him on the pitch.
    Without Rooney but with Owen fit, I'd play 4-5-1 I think. Usual back four of Neville, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole. Midfield of Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard and Joe Cole, with Owen as the lone striker. This system would allow Lampard and Gerrard to both play in there favoured position supporting Owen from just behind and leaving Carrick protecting the back four.

Man talks sense sometimes.
    Man talks sense sometimes.
    It's a decent idea as long as we pick the right players in the roles. I think crouch or even ashton would be better as a lone striker to hold the ball up, and Wright-Phillips or dyer (now injured) would be a better supporting winger than Beckham would be. But then we can't have king becks not playing, can we?

I still think 4-4-2 is the best option. I think Crouch and Owen could be lethal together. But I think it's essential to play Carrick and either Lampard or Gerrard. And we have to make sure that the rest of the team supports the strikers rather than punting long balls up front all game. With Joe Cole and Frank Lampard (and even Wright-Phillips if he plays) we've got some of the best goalscoring midfielders in the world, and with Crouch knocking it down for them, we could be a very dangerous team. I don't think Crouch is the greatest player ever, but neithers Koller of the Czech Republic, but him and Baros together are brilliant. And you're not gonna tell me Baros is even half the player that Owen is. We still have a chance, we just need to alter the gameplan a bit. I'd rather we focused on a different plan now, then treat Rooney as a bonus if he is fit.
    If England rely on one player's inpiration to win the World Cup, then they do not deserve to win it!!
    The World Cup is all about team play which is why Brazil wins it so many times, why France won it in '98...

Now imagine what kind of pressure you are putting on the kid to get fit and be the "man"...
    It will be a miracle if he recovers but he will be nowhere near to fitness.

I would play 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard playing just behind Owen. And if Sven take Phillips before Bent, I'll be shocked! Bent has scored headers, volleys, placements and penalties this season and has confidence.

My point is, there is always room for someone else to step up and be the inspiration!
    migpilot wrote:
    If England rely on one player's inpiration to win the World Cup, then they do not deserve to win it!!

Ronaldinho? Zidane? Henry? These players inspirations are relied on to win things all the times (OK maybe not so much Zidane anymore :p )

Personally? I laughed when I heard he was out. Wiped that smile off the smug fuckers on MOTD.
    Ronaldinho? Zidane? Henry? These players inspirations are relied on to win things all the times (OK maybe not so much Zidane anymore :p )

Personally? I laughed when I heard he was out. Wiped that smile off the smug fuckers on MOTD.
    Actually, I would say Gilberto, Deschamps, Makelele myself. All great teams seem to be build around a solid defensive midfielder that breaks up play. Without one, creative players wouldn't be able to work their magic. That's what England (under Sven) are lacking. Joe Cole, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are all capable enough to create enough chances against international opposition to win a game. But without anyone to break up attacks and keep possession, we'll be stuck playing the long ball up to Crouch.
    It's a decent idea as long as we pick the right players in the roles. I think crouch or even ashton would be better as a lone striker to hold the ball up, and Wright-Phillips or dyer (now injured) would be a better supporting winger than Beckham would be. But then we can't have king becks not playing, can we?
    The team I picked has everyone in the team playing in their best position, it has lampard and Gerrard both supporting Owen in roles they play at club level. Cole usually plays left or right in a 5-man midfield for Chelski and you take the piss but no-one can play a ball of Beckhams quality. For sure we could have SWP who hasn't played 90 mins all season and who falls over the ball when taking people on but me personally wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11, he just hasn't played enough due to pound sounds in his eyes.

To play 4-5-1 doesn't mean you have to punt the ball to Owen to hold it up so the midfielders can get involved, change of tactics is needed. Use the ball on the floor get the ball out wide to Becks to deliver his trademark balls to Owen, lamps n stevie through the middle or crossfield balls to Cole either out wide or arriving late at the back post. OR balls out to Cole to do his tricks, beat his men then delivering into danger areas.

Sure you need more than one tactic, if the playing nice football on the floor across the midfield and out wide isn't working then obviously a change of personnel and a change of tactics are needed, and if the change of tactics means punting balls up front then the obvious option is the beanpole.