Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Portable audio formats

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Anyone here fiddled much with it? I've spent an hour or two messing around and can't believe how good the sound quality is for the filesize! I keep all my music on my PC in FLAC, but I'm transcoding to ogg to put some music on my phone for when I'm off on my pushbike.

I'm averaging around 15mb per album, or 1.5mb per track. It obviously doesn't sound as good as the original, but I'd say that with casual listening, 70% of the time you'd not notice a difference. 20% of the time you can there are slightly-audible differences between the tracks, and the remaining 10% of the time the difference is obvious and irritating.

But...

This is on my headphones and speakers at home. The difference when out and about, using my dinky, crappy phone and portable headphones should be huge - I doubt I'll be able to tell any difference.

No fancy trickery, no messing around with filter cut-offs or the sampling rate. I'm just using the following command line:-

oggenc -q-0.6 *.flac

I'll now be having 7-8 albums on my phone. Woohoo! :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.