Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Stretching clothes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The boyfriend does the laundry. No matter what I tell him, he always forgets and dries my stuff all the way. Now either my arms have grown 4 inches or everthing is shurnk :p Is there a way to unshrink things? Most of the shirts are 100 cotton or some cotton polyster 50/50.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    whe they are wet hang some weights on part that need extending and let them dry as such... not sure it will work, but should... or a sure way to get the result is to cut 4 inches of your arms...
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i normally wash them again, and then pull them down, or stretch the sleeves etc. (might need an extra pair of hands for added stretchness!) but beware, can make the ends go a bit out of shape :)
    Have a tug of war when the clothes are wet
    thats what i meant...oopsie! when theyre wet you have to 'reshape' as i like to call it!
    I was thinking about that, nmm, but I dont own a hacksaw :(

Will I have to streatch them out each time I wash them ya think?
    they should be ok, fingers crossed after you have stretched them once, mine are normally ok, it depends on how badly they are stretched...but dont chop your arms off hun, you wont be able to type anymore, and my life would be rubbish without you *sniff sniff* i couldnt bear it!
    Who says I type with my hands anyways? :p

So how long should I stretch them for? Like a minute, half an hour. I wish i was a fisher so I could tie weights to the end
    being a fisher woman would improve your ability to tigh weights to clothes??? :confused:

i agree with whoever said stretch them by hand when there wet, get someone to hold onto the shoulder bit (you would probably be better rolling the top up and just leaving 1 arm unrolled so the tp doesnt end up a strange shape) andjust pulling it to get it to stretch back
    melanie wrote:
    being a fisher woman would improve your ability to tigh weights to clothes??? :confused:

i agree with whoever said stretch them by hand when there wet, get someone to hold onto the shoulder bit (you would probably be better rolling the top up and just leaving 1 arm unrolled so the tp doesnt end up a strange shape) andjust pulling it to get it to stretch back

There are little weights on fishing poles, a bit above the bobber thing. So if I were a fisher I'd have those weights :p
    the easy way to do it is to pin it out to the shape you need it to be after washing, when it's still pretty damp (on something like a thick towel - you can weight the towel down if it keeps buckling) leave it to dry how it is, and when it has totally dried, it should stay the shape you pinned.
    Thanks :) What kind of pins? I dont own any pins, but surely they can't be expensive.
    these ones:

istockphoto_518100_four_pins.jpg

you'd probably be able to pick up as many of those guys as you needed for about a dollar. they are dead cheap :)
    Thank you very much! :D