Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Council Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well in July I am moving into a house in Derby with students but I am not a student so will have to pay council tax but I don't know what I am suppose to do?

Comments

• Options
    YOu will have to pay council tax, however if you are the only one paying council tax you will get a single person occupancy discount.

You just need to register with the council, but don't worry about doing that yet.

If your housemates have any shame you'll divvy the cost up between you.
  • Options
    When is the best time to do it? Do I just go to the council tax office? Also is it a 25% discount that I get?
  • Options
    Once you move in, phone the council tax office, the phone number will be on their website. Explain the situation and ask them to sort it out for you.
  • Options
    Or you could register everything at your home address (mum and dads place), and then just "visit" your student mates, for a year.

No actually, don't do that. That's just wrong, and I would never do it, again.
  • Options
    What Kermit said.

They'll need to take a form to their uni to get stamped/signed, so they can be exempted. Therefore the bill will be in your name only (assuming the council do the same as here).
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    Or you could register everything at your home address (mum and dads place), and then just "visit" your student mates, for a year.

No actually, don't do that. That's just wrong, and I would never do it, again.

Protecting yourself against thieves is wrong ? :confused: That`s a strange morality.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    When is the best time to do it? Do I just go to the council tax office? Also is it a 25% discount that I get?

I think its 25%, aren't the thieving cunts so generous?

That'll be £750 instead of a grand, can't you just feel the savings and the generosity from your local wasteful and corrupt council?

Just go in to the council when you've moved in, most of them operate a one-stop shop where you can get everything done.

Though the sooner the thieving councils get shut down the better. 95% of council staff serve no purpose.