Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pub Blag...would you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was in a bar in canary wharf with a few mates last night. A glass collector came round and took away a few glasses from our table. My mate jumped to his feet, walked to the bar and told them that the guy had just taken away his glass of JD n coke.

The girl behind the bar apologised and quickly poured him another one. Even I fell for it. It was only hours later when he fessed up that it was a blag.

If you’re that way inclined try it. Wouldn’t do it in my local, but a snobby wine bar charging £3:50 for flat beer…..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    we get people doing that all the time in work, if they come straight to the bar then the glass collecter usually still has all the glasses in a basket wandering around

9 times out of 10 there is nothing resembling the drink in the basket.
  • Options
    I'd never do that. Its basically stealing a drink and also risks the glass collector getting a telling off.

Ok so I have no sense of humour today!
  • Options
    Ive had glass collectors nick my drink so many times i reckon im owed a few drinks! :chin:
  • Options
    I fought a glass collector to the end over a vodka and coke yesterday. I couldn't believe he argued back! There may have only been a cm of drink in it, but I wanted the damn thing!
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I fought a glass collector to the end over a vodka and coke yesterday. I couldn't believe he argued back! There may have only been a cm of drink in it, but I wanted the damn thing!

I hate it when they do that!
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I hate it when they do that!

I KNOW!! *angry voice*

Thing is, he got really grotty over it, and was raising his voice. I was at a funeral for cripes sake.
  • Options
    I get annoyed when they hover waiting for you to finish. I'm like "you want me passed out? I'm not downing it..."
  • Options
    I might if I was a scuffer.
  • Options
    i would never pour somone another free drink because there glass got taken away.
    not being funny, but if your dosey enough to not notice a clumsy glass collecter ploughing around, then theres no end to the chnaces of people spiking your drinks

if i was a glass collector and someone had a go at me for taking their drink, i'd politely remind them most company polices are, un attended drinks get taken away for your own safety.

sorry to spoil your fun. haha
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I would.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'd never do that. Its basically stealing

only if you get caught. ;)
  • Options
    i'd do it... they make enough profit per drink for you to take 1 back!
  • Options
    I have to say I've had it happen to me, but luckily the guys in my work who do the glass collecting are really good and always check if the drinks are finished with if the're in any doubt. The've been well warned!!! We like our drinks til the very bitter end!
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

if you say take £10,000 on the bar in a night, then you take the vat off, then the cost of doormen, the dj, electricity, staff costs, electricity etc and the sort, including what it cost to buy the stock in

you are actually left with very little
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    if you say take £10,000 on the bar in a night, then you take the vat off, then the cost of doormen, the dj, electricity, staff costs, electricity etc and the sort, including what it cost to buy the stock in

:yes: Hence loads of bars make almost no money, and keep having to close, so G-A-Y is taking over the world (well, Soho) :nervous:

Erm, sorry, personal issue there.
  • Options
    That is the trashiest thing I've ever heard. I'd have no respect for anybody who was so cheap and tacky to do that. How lame can somebody get. :\
  • Options
    I steal other people's drink towards the end of the night when I'm skint. Not really a good idea cos you could so easily be spiked but who cares like.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I steal other people's drink towards the end of the night when I'm skint. Not really a good idea cos you could so easily be spiked but who cares like.

i'm sure you'd care if you were though!
  • Options
    i'm sure you'd care if you were though!

I've intentionally taken a date rape drug before plus I'm experienced with other spiking drugs like ecstacy.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    The 'profit' on alcoholic drinks is tiny. They make much more from selling soft drinks.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've intentionally taken a date rape drug before plus I'm experienced with other spiking drugs like ecstacy.

oh no i didn't mean it like that but generally people spike peoples drinks with the intention of taking advantage of them. that's all i meant. :)
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

when u get charged almost a tenner for a double vodka redbull they can fuck off :D maybe its a lot cheaper up north!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    That is the trashiest thing I've ever heard. I'd have no respect for anybody who was so cheap and tacky to do that. How lame can somebody get. :\

i know it sounds kind of dodgy... but u have to remember the ppl that own/work at the pub are there purely for themselves, not for you.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i know it sounds kind of dodgy... but u have to remember the ppl that own/work at the pub are there purely for themselves, not for you.

Imo, it has nothing to do with the workers or anybody else at the bar. Its about lack of decency of the person doing it. Its just a tacky pathetic thing to do. Its flat out lying and stealing and I will not respect anybody who does that.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Imo, it has nothing to do with the workers or anybody else at the bar. Its just a tacky pathetic thing to do. Its flat out lying and stealing and I will not respect anybody who does that.

the bars/clubs etc rob you of money each extortionately priced drink... difference is they don't feel guilty at all about it. I haven't actually done what the OP said, i'm just saying i wouldnt feel that bad doing it, and i wouldnt look down on a m8 for doing it (id probs laugh about it :/)
  • Options
    They are hardly robbing you. Its your choice to go to that particular one and pay their prices. But thats not my point at all. The drinks could be free and I would still feel the same. Your still lying and decieving.

But I'm very touch on those kinds of things. But if it floats your boat. I'll stop whining now :p
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    the bars/clubs etc rob you of money each extortionately priced drink

Go somewhere else then. If I thought somewhere was too expensive for what it was, I'd not spend my money there.

I think my_name summed it up about right with "trashy".
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    turlough wrote:
    Not really a good idea cos you could so easily be spiked but who cares like.

Bonus! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I pour my own drink if nobody is about or their busy, I cannot be arsed to wait. It never used to be just beer, it also used to be pints of wine.
  • Options
    it's good when people come to the bar and complain thats theres no vodka in their drink when i've poured them a double vodka and coke, it amazes me because they even watch you pour the vodka into the glass. When I used to glass collect I took a few peoples drinks unintentionally but thats usually because there left on the side with hardly anything in them and no-one near then someone would pop up out of nowhere and have a big do, this is in a bar where u can get a cocktail for £1.50 by the way.