Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

(85p's worth of) Cannabis found at John Reid home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A "minuscule" quantity of cannabis resin has been found at the Scottish home of Defence Secretary John Reid.
Mr Reid said the cannabis - worth less than £1 - was found in a guest room and police had told him it could have been there for years.

"I have no idea where it came from, or when," the defence secretary said.

Police are to take no action over the find, made during a security sweep of the Lanarkshire house. They said Mr Reid was not suspected of any offence.

The property lies within his former constituency of Hamilton North and Bellshill.

In a statement, Mr Reid said: "There is absolutely no suggestion that this in any way involves me or members of my family and both I and the Strathclyde Police regard the matter as closed."

Assistant Chief Constable John Corrigan, of Strathclyde Police, said in a statement: "I can confirm that we have investigated the discovery of a small piece of cannabis resin in a guest room of a house within the force area.

"The substance found weighed less than one gram with a street value of approximately 85p."

The BBC's political correspondent Mark Saunders said the drugs were thought to have been found while Mr Reid was on an official visit to Afghanistan to visit British troops.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4957354.stm

Who said the Scots were tight? :D

Also is 85p's worth of cannabis "miniscule?" I certainly would call it that if i found it after a heavy night on the class As!

Comments

• Options
    How they came by that figure is anyones guess, actually could have come from anywhere really.

Is anyone else surprised that persons who would frequent an establishment in such high eschelons of society are smoking soapbar?
  • Options
    How they came by that figure is anyones guess, actually could have come from anywhere really.

Is anyone else surprised that persons who would frequent an establishment in such high eschelons of society are smoking soapbar?

Agreed - it just goes to show how ubiquitous cannabis has become, and how hypocritical the laws are. Actually didn't Blair recently tell Parkinson that his father-in-law asked to smoke a joint in front of him? And I vaguely recall that some celebrity/musician described smoking a joint in front of Blair after dinner at chequers. Not to mention Mo Mowlam, Straw's son, Prince Harry, David Cameron, etc. etc. etc. And across the pond, the most powerful men in the world, Bill "I didn't inhale" Clinton and George W(asted) Bush.

How do they come by these figures? For instance, dealers will sell a drug of higher quality/purity in a lower quantity, I assume, as a matter of course. Do the police judge its worth purely by weighing it, or by sight?
    E.g. I was arrested (and cautioned) for possession, immediately after just picking up an '8th' of skunk. The dealer I bought it from sells a higher quality of skunk in lower quantities, for the same price. I told the arresting officer that it was £10 worth, and he didn't question this (possibly because for such a small quantity it makes no legal difference). Do the police only weigh/chemically analyse large seizures of drugs?
  • Options
    fancy taking his last smoke!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    85p's worth!

That would probalby make a skinny arse J if I found that.
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    How do they come by these figures? For instance, dealers will sell a drug of higher quality/purity in a lower quantity, I assume, as a matter of course. Do the police judge its worth purely by weighing it, or by sight?
    E.g. I was arrested (and cautioned) for possession, immediately after just picking up an '8th' of skunk. The dealer I bought it from sells a higher quality of skunk in lower quantities, for the same price. I told the arresting officer that it was £10 worth, and he didn't question this (possibly because for such a small quantity it makes no legal difference). Do the police only weigh/chemically analyse large seizures of drugs?

In terms of personal cautions for possesion these days the copper will just have a look at it and if its not much they wont bother weighing it before you sign your caution. If that is you even get a formal caution.

They do differentiate between skunk and soapbar, but really only if you are caught with quite a bit. Some defence lawyers will ask for chemical content before going to trial if its soapbar because if its really weak it sounds better in court.