Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Silent Hill (The movie)

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Amazing. A... ma... zing.
More words about it when I've overcome my amazement. :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That good hey?
  • Options
    Oh yeah...
    IMO at least, and anyone's who was with me. I've heard neutral opinions too, but none negative (if you exclude the fanatically religious person on some site who said "Stop watching the Devil's movies).
  • Options
    Oh yeah...
    IMO at least, and anyone's who was with me. I've heard neutral opinions too, but none negative (if you exclude the fanatically religious person on some site who said "Stop watching the Devil's movies).

Devil's movie hey... sounds good to me... might go see it tomorrow...
  • Options
    the atmosphere of the film was fantastic, the setwork again fantastic, the horrors within the town were good if underused.

the acting was truly awful, much better than keanu reeves' acting but still pretty naff... sean bean's 'american' accent was truly laughable and became northern on several occasions making it hard to believe his character. pyramid head was a better actor than bean.

the story was typical silent hill in that even though it was explained twice in the film it still made little sense...

it started to get poor about halfway through (it's a 2 hour film) and when it all started to kick off right at the end i was cringing and willing it to finish.

certainly not the worst film i've ever seen, definately not the worst film adaptation either but hardly worthy of the praise some people seem to be giving it *cough* first post *cough* if it were shorter i'd say it was worth watching to waste some time but it did seem to drag on a little.

5/10. it didn't quite deserve the panning it got in the press but isn't a 'great' film by a long shot. the games were truly disturbing and instilled a sense of dread, the film looked the part but wasn't able to put the willies up me ;)

**edit:: just remembered a couple of highly amusing bits in the film... towards the end there's 'the nurses', she steps around a corner and flashes her torch and they come to life (attracted by the torch). now these are supposed to be disjointed and awkward as they shamble down the corridor towards her, but as they were moving i just ended up laughing because it looked they were in the thriller video, it was like a zombie pop off in the hallway!! :lol:

also another couple of hilarious bits... the way the old hag gets clocked in the face with a rock by a religious fanatic. and when the main chick finds the little girl in the factory/whatever and she says "look, i'm on fire!" if that was unintentional humour then nobody actually watched the film through to check it. haha and the scary barb-wired janitor in the toilet waggling his tongue like a proper pervert at the chick.... :lol:

also the ending with the evil cult bint and the barbed wire... seriously wtf? the little girl dancing about in the shower of blood as she gets raped with barbed wire and torn apart from inside? not needed methinks, felt that was a little over the top and this was after pyramid head stripped that girl naked and then tore the skin off her body and threw it at the 2 other women. :yeees:
  • Options
    certainly not the worst film i've ever seen, definately not the worst film adaptation either but hardly worthy of the praise some people seem to be giving it *cough* first post *cough* if it were shorter i'd say it was worth watching to waste some time but it did seem to drag on a little.
    Opinions, dear. ;)

Now that the initial enthusiasm has worn off, I'll make a few comments (spoilers follow):
    1)It's a fact that Sean Bean's role was added in the last moment, and that's apparent. He adds nothing at all to the movie.
    2)It wasn't scary enough. That doesn't mean it wasn't scary, but not as much as the games. Of course, with a game there's also the element of controlling the character, and since of course can't be in a movie, it removes something to the atmosfear (by the way, I copyright the pun! :p).
    3)There were things that anyone who's played a game would understand, but weren't explained enough in the movie. For example, it wasn't clear that the "dark world" was Alessa's interpretation of the world that treated her so badly.

And also, the ending confused me. Rose was in limbo because the bitch killed her; but why was Sharon there too? Nothing happened to her as far as we saw.

Other than the above though, I stick to my initial comment.
  • Options
    1)It's a fact that Sean Bean's role was added in the last moment, and that's apparent. He adds nothing at all to the movie.
    2)It wasn't scary enough. That doesn't mean it wasn't scary, but not as much as the games. Of course, with a game there's also the element of controlling the character, and since of course can't be in a movie, it removes something to the atmosfear (by the way, I copyright the pun! :p).
    3)There were things that anyone who's played a game would understand, but weren't explained enough in the movie. For example, it wasn't clear that the "dark world" was Alessa's interpretation of the world that treated her so badly.

And also, the ending confused me. Rose was in limbo because the bitch killed her; but why was Sharon there too? Nothing happened to her as far as we saw.

Other than the above though, I stick to my initial comment.

1) he adds nothing but detracts a fair amount from the film due to his acting. the little girls in the film act better than he does.

2) 'atmosfear' is already copyrighted as it's an old vhs/boardgame :p

3) it was all explained at the end as clearly some people didn't 'get it' without the explanation... obviously even with it all laid out some people still don't get it. i'm pretty sure it was mentioned twice... once when the chick met the burnt girl and again right at the end in the dreamy type sequence.

as for the ending i've no fucking clue. perhaps the little girl wanted to stay with her as her birth mother was a bitch who let her get killed in the first place?
  • Options
    1)I thought he was acting fine... The role just didn't ask for much. Even I could have played it!
    2)Ahh ftoo. :(:p
    3)Was it? Perhaps I don't remember it that well.
  • Options
    1)I thought he was acting fine... The role just didn't ask for much. Even I could have played it!
    2)Ahh ftoo. :(:p
    3)Was it? Perhaps I don't remember it that well.

1) his acting wasn't that bad, it's about on par with the game but that accent.... oof.
    2) it featured a man in scary zombie make up talking to you randomly whilst you played the game, most odd.
    3) yes... was explained as obviously nobody would've managed to put it all together sans reasons.

i assume you've looked up 'centralia' on google? the story behind silent hill (the town in the film) was based on it. a fire started in a coal mine under the town and is still spreading today, go find it, it's most freaky.
  • Options
    Centralia... No, never heard of it. Other than as a subtitle to some new SH game. I'll take a look...
  • Options
    Ok... just seen it... was alright... good fx... story a bit crap tho and some stuff were a bit stupid imo... was not amazed by it tho... als sound of cinema was not loud eough could hear people far away from me eat... a bit of a pain... wroth watching tho...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    **edit:: just remembered a couple of highly amusing bits in the film... towards the end there's 'the nurses', she steps around a corner and flashes her torch and they come to life (attracted by the torch). now these are supposed to be disjointed and awkward as they shamble down the corridor towards her, but as they were moving i just ended up laughing because it looked they were in the thriller video, it was like a zombie pop off in the hallway!! :lol:

:

:lol:
    Funny you should say that, its exactly what I thought when i saw that bit - i just imagined Michael jackson dancing along - helped me through that bit. I did find the movie quite scarey though, although as you say - there was quite a bit of bad acting in it too. The main character Rose, was just atrocious.
  • Options
    i'm supposed to be going to see this tomorrow - i just realised i've never been to see a scary film at the cinema before!
  • Options
    I watched it last night, and some bits i was just sitting there what the fucking at! I kind of want my £6.20 back! Either that or to make some sense of it, ha.

The bit(s) I don't really get *so if someone could explain them that would be grand ;)) are....did the policewoman, the mum and the daughter die at the begining when they had their crashes? Cause when Sean Bean is looking for her and he's in the school corridors he's in the same place as her but on some different parrallel bit?
    Also i take it all the relgious fanatics were already dead but didn't know they were? But then again i'm not all together sure how the kid that got burned alessa or whatever her name was managed to control her evil thoughts into relaity or whatever when she was supposed to be dead, argh head fuck!
    And at the begining those weird moletn lava children thing, what were they all about!? I did actually laugh out lous at those nurses though, well untill they started slashing each other :p
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    did the policewoman, the mum and the daughter die at the begining when they had their crashes?
    Either that, or they all entered the "parallel" Silent Hill because they came there at the same time as the girl. Dahlia said something like "Only the dark one can open the gates", and I assume the dark one is Sharon/Alessa.
    Also i take it all the relgious fanatics were already dead but didn't know they were?
    I think so.
    But then again i'm not all together sure how the kid that got burned alessa or whatever her name was managed to control her evil thoughts into relaity or whatever when she was supposed to be dead, argh head fuck!
    Remember the girl Rose is chasing... she says "I'm known by many names, right now I'm Alessa's dark side" (or something like it) and while Alessa is in the hospital, during the flashback, the girl says "Then I came". I think it's suggested that she's a demon or the Devil himself, using Alessa's pain to hurt even more people.
    And at the begining those weird moletn lava children thing, what were they all about!? I did actually laugh out lous at those nurses though, well untill they started slashing each other :p
    The idea is that all the "dark world" (that appears after the siren is heard, where everything is bizarre and full of monsters) is how Alessa views the world after all that happened to her. The cleaning man who (probably) raped her is a monster for example, and generally everything is dark and scary.
  • Options
    It was a good movie and it did scared me at some point. A must see imo.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It was very effing good.

I am tempted to watch it again. torrent time.