Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

personal statement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
when i've finished it, will someone read it over for me?
i'm not sure if what im writting is the right thing!!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I will if you like, you can PM it to me. Can't promise to be uberprompt, as am mostly revising.
  • Options
    I have chosen to do an Adult Nursing course because it is something which really interests me. When I was 15 I did a weeks work experience in an elderly care home and loved it. Since then i have worked for 4 months as a healthcare assistant at Harpenden Memorial Hospital and I am currently working in an elderly care home. I have been there for 7 months now and I would like to take my training further.
    I have previously started an Adult Nursing course with The University of Hertfordshire. I left after 18 months when I failed a module. At the time I was unsure if the course was what I wanted to do. However since leaving and working in a care home, I have realised I should not have left and would really appretiate the oppurtunity to try again.
    I feel I would be a good candidate for this course because I am hard working and I get on very well with others. I can work well in a team or on my own. I am very patient and a good listener. I am not afraid of hard work and am more than willing to put on the hours I know this course needs.
    I have also attended a moving and handling course as well as a first aid one. I have a certificate in Health and Safety and am currently doing a course in Decontamination and Sterilisation in the Work Place. Also in the next few weeks I will be attending a course on Dementia Care.

thats it so far. i dunno wat else to say :(
  • Options
    I have chosen to do an Adult Nursing course because it is something which really interests me. for how long? when did you know you wanted to be a nurse, has it always been something you wanted to do, or have there been periferal interests? When I was 15 I did a weeks work experience in an elderly care home and loved it. why? Since then i have worked for 4 months as a healthcare assistant at Harpenden Memorial Hospital and I am currently working in an elderly care home. I have been there for 7 months now and I would like to take my training further. expand on your experiences, what made you carry on, the things that challenged and interested you.
    I have previously started an Adult Nursing course with The University of Hertfordshire. I left after 18 months when I failed a module. are you really sure you want to put in that you started and jacked it in? is there a good reason you failed? At the time I was unsure if the course was what I wanted to do. However since leaving and working in a care home, I have realised I should not have left and would really appretiate the oppurtunity to try again.
    I feel I would be a good candidate for this course because I am hard working despite failing? sorry harsh, but fair to point out the apparent contradiction and I get on very well with others. I can work well in a team or on my own. I am very patient and a good listener. I am not afraid of hard work and am more than willing to put on the hours I know this course needs.Try to expand on why you think you have these qualities, or think of ones you think you'll have to have and explain why you've got them, or are working on them.
    I have also attended a moving and handling course as well as a first aid one. I have a certificate in Health and Safety and am currently doing a course in Decontamination and Sterilisation in the Work Place. Also in the next few weeks I will be attending a course on Dementia Care.

thats it so far. i dunno wat else to say :(

Give me a minute, I'll find the drafts of my PS, and post them, then you can see the development

ETA: here they are, first and last so you can see what changed. I was going for Mech Eng, but was also on my way to the army at the time, so there's your context. Personal Statement 2 was a mates near final article, which has a different tone, she wanted to do spanish and mandarin duel honours.
  • Options
    What you've done sounds good- heres a couple of suggestions of more stuff to put in it - its what i had in mine -
    Any previous qualifications that link to it? what are you doing now A-level or similar? explain about why you chose them and how it related to your course and/or why you chose them
    And also talk about hobbies/other interests so that they can get a bigger idea of what you're like as a person
    And also mention any other experience if you have any, it doesn't neccessarily have to be on an offocial placement, but stuff like babysitting or helping at a playgroup would look good if you'd done it, would also mean you had experience of working with different client groups :)
    Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    despite failing? sorry harsh, but fair to point out the apparent contradiction

thanx for the help! i shall do what you said!!
    i can see what you mean about the contradiction. when i left i had personal problems (depression) which was i just couldnt face going back a year with no bursary etc. but now i have had time to work through all that.

i dunno if i should say that tho!!
  • Options
    Just say you had personal problems, that prevented you from completing it, or leave it out altogether.
  • Options
    'have chosen to do an Adult Nursing course because it is something which really interests me. When I was 15 I did a weeks work experience in an elderly care home and loved it. '

i think it might be better to say 'in 2000 (or whatever year it was) i did a weeks work experience...'. dunno why maybe i'm just being picky!

also you might want to word 'I left after 18 months when I failed a module' a bit more positively. you don't have to tell them you failed. and also might be good to give examples of when you have worked well on your own as well as with others.
  • Options
    If I can track it down I'll PM you my personal statement from when I applied for Nursing. It was shit hot, even if I do say so myself. ;)
  • Options
    Ok, PMed you my thoughts.
  • Options
    Can we have the next draft when you're done?
  • Options
    hehe that's mine!!
  • Options
    yes :) it was a superb example, so i borrowed it.
  • Options
    'My reasons for choosing the Adult Nursing course as the first steps on my chosen career path are very simple. Nursing is the area of work that really interests me and also an area in which I have varied past experience which I would love the opportunity to build on.

My interest first flourished when - aged 15 - I did a weeks' work experience in an elderly care home and immediately felt an affinity for the role and responsibilities involved. Since then I have worked for four months as a healthcare assistant at Harpenden Memorial Hospital and I am currently working in an elderly care home where I am building on my existing clinical, interpersonal and communication skills with relation to nursing and patient care. I have been in their employment for seven months and I now feel I would like to take my training further and advance my career accordingly.

I have previously embarked on an Adult Nursing Diploma course with The University of Hertfordshire. Regrettably, I left after 18 months when I began to doubt my aptitude and enthusiasm for the course and then failed a module. At the time I was unsure if the course was what I wanted to do; however since leaving and gaining fairly extensive experience in a care home, I have realised that I should not have left so hastily and would truly appreciate a second chance.

In addition to my care home and work experience, I have also attended a "Moving and Handling" and "First Aid" course. I have a certificate in Health and Safety and also one in Care Planning. I am currently undertaking a course in "Decontamination and Sterilisation in the Work Place". In addition to this certification, in the next few weeks I will also be attending a course on "Dementia Care". I feel that all this experience would be invaluable to me during my Nursing training and throughout my future career.

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this course (and, in time, this career) due to my unwavering work ethic and ability to work well with others in all manner of situations and group dynamics. I believe I can work to the highest standards in both in a team dynamic and under my own initiative. I am a very patient person and feel I am also a very good listener with an enormous capacity for empathy and understanding ? both qualities which I believe are imperative to a nurse. I am not afraid of hard work and am more than willing to put in the time, energy and work I know this course needs.'

Briggi, you sure its ok to use that?

this one is all thanx to Briggi who has just saved me!!
  • Options
    I'm still not a fan of your second paragraph and think that you could reword it to make you look like less of a quiter.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm still not a fan of your second paragraph and think that you could reword it to make you look like less of a quiter.

i'd leave it out all together but i just know if i get an interview they'll ask me about it and say why didnt i put it on my application.
  • Options
    or... you could re-write it, to make you look like less of a complete drop-out

ETA: Just for the record, if I saw that in your personal statement, it'd be all that I'd remember, and there'd be NO WAY you'd be invited in for an interview, straight on the discard pile.
  • Options
    For me it just lacks a little pizazz. We can see that you're clearly interested in nursing but maybe you should think about conveying the fact that you're passionate about it rather than just interested in it? You need to show that you love it and that you REALLY want this place and are prepared to fight tooth and nail for it.

Apart from that it sounds pretty good. I'm just trying to invisage one thing that you may be asked. In the third paragraph I think you cover quite well the reasons for you leaving the first time. However, as someone reading this, my first question would be, 'what would stop you dropping out again? She's done it once, am I entirely convinced she won't do it again?' Forgive me for playing the Devil's advocate here but with these kind of things, you have to look at everything you say and every conceivable question they could ask you.

Apart from those little things, it does look pretty good. Good luck!
  • Options
    OK, I've made a quick attempt at lightening the tricky paragraph.

I have previously embarked on an Adult Nursing Diploma course with The University of Hertfordshire. Regrettably, I left after 18 months due to a combination of personal problems which I have since had the time and space to fully resolve. At the time I was unsure if the course was what I wanted to do; however since leaving and gaining fairly extensive experience in a care home, I have realised that nursing is my true vocation and would truly appreciate a second chance.